8 Wheelers from 1965 - to Present

I’ve started doing it on purpose because otherwise I break them.

2 Likes

Which I just did on my Pantsir … DOH … !!!

2 Likes

Live and learn
they say …

1 Like

Sadly I’m a multiple repeat offender… wing mirrors, headlights and P E tool clamps lol

your MEV looks good! Id end up snapping off the lights being clumsy, better to leave off till the end

The MEV has gone together really nicely @DeskJockey … I think the Stryker family would be a great little project to get all of them done… something to think about …

Now, got a bit done with the Pantsir.
Have done the basic weapon turret and dry fitted the guns.

Went together great, there were a few sink marks which are on inner surfaces, but you can still see them, so may tackle those with Mr Surfacer.

A view of where the rear radar will be, which is the next step.

Have also done all the tyres with Tamiya rubber and the wheels in flat black. Wanted to get them painted before I attempted to fit them.

6 Likes

This arrived today… Was bought specifically for the tyres on the Pantsir :+1:

1 Like

Find something to test them on first. They’re not as easy to blend and fade as other enamel weathering products from AK and it’s very easy to go overboard and then you’ll have a hell of a time walking them back.

1 Like

I agree with Don. Don’t use them as a bold wash. Pin wash in small quantities and have plenty of white spirit handy to thin or remove. For me, the effect looked good at first, light and transparent when wet, but when dry, there was much more paint on the model than I thought.

Here is the model I used it on. Sitting here waiting to be stripped back… hence it is unfinished

2 Likes

Thanks, @Johnnych01 ! Now I’m waiting for the paint to cure before moving forward. And I also have to paint the wheels–don’t know how I forgot about them, too!

I actually only got those washes to use on the tyres, and maybe a few small select areas. I have the OEF/OIF wash for all over as I’m doing this one in a sand finish…I think lol …

1 Like

Rear radar mount done and fitted. Just letting it dry before I attach the radar head to it.

Also got the front 4 wheel stations on, and the front 2 from the rear set.

The rear 4 were a bit of an issue as the connection between the wheel and axle isn’t the best so I’ve gone down this route to make sure all 8 are on the deck at the end.

7 Likes

It’s looking pretty good!

Love the all black chassis John. It’s looking pretty slick!

1 Like

Thanks Matt, it’s a beaut of a kit. The chassis is a massive part of the build to fair.
Got the last 2 rear wheels on earlier, and I can happily report, all 8 are firmly on the deck.
There is a part that’s incorrectly numbered on the rear radar assembly but I will have to go back and find out which bit. When I do I will edit this post with your name Matt so you can make a note. @SSGToms Matt, it’s on section 79a, and part G58 should be CTI. :+1:
Did a full mock with all the parts I’ve assembled thus far.

Figure is an old one for scale. I’m now not sure whether to do sand or green…

4 Likes

You’re going to need to put an extension on the house for that thing.

I’m glad you got the wheels sorted, did they have the weird half moon connections rather than a full round axle stub?

1 Like

Yep, half moon connection which I found didn’t really work and I think the problem is neither wheel or axle sides are deep enough… It allows them to slip. Doing it the way I did was a bit more time consuming, but it was to important not to mess this part up and to get all 8 wheels sitting true.

I ended up carving and gently drilling out the half moons on the wheel parts and sanding flat the axle end. I also used a 2 part epoxy to fit the wheels as it gives you some wriggle room and time to re adjust as needed. I should say this only applies to the rear 4 wheels.

The front 4 were fine as they have a normal male and female connection and it’s a nice tight fit

Looks great John!
You could always do a muddy one from the Russia Ukrainian war in green with the sprayed Z.

2 Likes

I was contemplating that, but I thought it might be a bit to soon. I wanted to let the dust settle a bit …

2 Likes

However, to counter it, I could have a Ukraine T64 or T80 driving past it :grin:

2 Likes