8 Wheelers from 1965 - to Present

Excellent paint work. Very precise.

1 Like

Hey Troops, Well - we are at the 6 month stage and there have been some impressive and big 8 wheelers built and started for this campaign.
Builds completed to date are;
johnnych01
@Canmedic - Don
@DeskJockey - Lucas
@Bison126 - Olivier.
Others started or near completion are @Karl187 , @Tank_1812 @petbat & @heliman - Jeff who was 99%finished.

keep them coming chaps :+1: :+1:

4 Likes

Timely John. A little more progress on the ASLAV-R while I am waiting for paint to dry on my other builds.

Stupendous mistake - I used the Trumpeter forward hatch, which had gaps that I filled The photo’s in the resin kit showed different colours and some references to Trumpeter parts so I went that way. Next day I found the hatch in a packet I thought I had checked. Replaced now, and fit is way better, but I chipped the resin removing the old one, hence the filler.

Very fine castings in this kit. I broke a couple of pieces with too rough handling when removing from the plugs. Decided cleaning parts while watching TV with the wife was not a good idea. You need to focus on these parts.

It is great kit, sadly no longer in production.

4 Likes

And lucky for us we can see it here take shape. Its looking very good Peter. Certainly well detailed like you said.

1 Like

Really nice camo !

1 Like

I’m still in the “have started, got sidetracked but am planning to finish” mode :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s a serious amount of resin! It’s coming together very nicely.

I haven’t. I reached out to the bubbas in my old unit and they had bupkis as well, sorry, Brother.

1 Like

Thanks for trying Doc. :+1:

Pin wash is all done.

Now I’m just doing a little light wear and tear with oils before adding a bit of dust to the areas around the running gear.

10 Likes

That sounds like a very good plan. You don’t want to overdo this one. That would detract to much from the great paint scheme. The pin wash looks very good as well… Really nice :+1:

2 Likes

The last few things I had to do on this model were easy enough- a bit of a dusty oil color around the areas seen in reference photos and some similar coloured pigment to dirty up the wheels.

A few little lifting hooks were put on alongside the wheels which went on with no fuss although the third wheels back from the front appear to be floating. A small stowage rack also went on one of the sides.

Fiddliest and most annoying of all was the super-flimsy side mirrors- not helped by the fact their mounting points did not correspond much at all with their location points on the hull.

So that’s it done and I’m very pleased with how it looks in its rather interesting camo.

It’s been a pleasure to take part in this build log and thank you all for the support and encouragement. Also, good luck to those still building or planning a build.

16 Likes

Cracking job Karl. The cam scheme is very we done. Stands out (in a good way lol) and it does the outline up. The dusting looks just right and not overdone. To much would of definitely spoilt the whole look. The way the tyres have taken the dust effect has really lifted them up. Whole thing is lovely to look at… Take a pat on the back… Top job and well done again :+1::+1:

1 Like

Nice colors. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Thank you @Johnnych01 and thank you @Armorsmith :beers: !

1 Like

Excellent finish Karl. Great job all round. I loved the progress you showed during the build too.

1 Like

Many thanks Peter!

Really nice work ! Very well done !

Fantastic camo and weathering Karl! You’ve raised the level for anyone willing to tackle their kit (like me :grinning: )

Olivier

1 Like

@Gil17 and @Bison126 - you are both very kind, thank you :+1:!