8 Wheelers from 1965 - to Present

Ok… Now I really want one… That’s massive. You don’t a great job on that Jeff, it looks really clean … Excellent :ok_hand:

It is beautiful and huge… :+1: that will take some paint…

Thanks! it’s been so much fun building, everything fits well. I’ve had a few small issues to cope with. The biggest issue that popped up was the order of assembly. They have builder attach the grill first , then plug the cab into its hinges under the bumper, rolling it down onto its mounts. The grill has a corner that hits cab, so I just installed cab first then the grill.

Thanks, yes, it’s going to consume plenty of paint! Choosing the scheme, I wanted took a few days, I have so many straight green trucks I wanted something different. I built a Dana a few years ago with a temporary winter scheme, and it still gets remarks

1 Like

Enjoy the paint job Jeff. Hope you’ve replenished your stock of paint :grinning:

Olivier

1 Like

Looks great! I can’t wait to see how the paintjob turns out. I have a KZKT that should end up in a similar scheme and hope to pick up some pointers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks ! I relearned a very important detail today, always wash your trumpeter kits before painting. I sprayed primer on the cab and engine cover…and watched the fisheyes explode all over the entire thing…argggg I knew better than not clean the sprues. They must wash their kits in silicone before bagging.

I promptly wiped down everything else, and shot a light coat of flat black. This wasn’t planned, since the light gray areas will end up dark…oh well. Its a preshade I guess.

3 Likes

So, I did a Matt black coat on the lower chassis which came out nicely.

I forgot to remove all the masked areas for the other chassis parts but I thought it best to paint the chassis before I mount the engine then add or assemble and add the remaining chassis parts and paint them individually …

With the engine dry fitted in situ.

5 Likes

Nice progress on the Pantsir. I haven’t been working on mine the last few days our daughters had a mild cold …I swear she’s really getting tired of covid tests for school

1 Like

Putting the black on has given it a nice look. I am going to go back to the cab now and start building that up again and get back into the correct sequence.

Tossed on the camo today, started w the light gray then moved onto the green. I planned to mask w this tacky stuff from hobby lobby .nope it wasn’t gonna hold. Freehand won out this time. The green is a 50/50 mix of nato green and buff. I struggled w tip drying using tamiya thinner as usual, switched over to mr color thinner …excellent stuff yet pretty stinky, glad I had a vented booth

I’m not very good at weathering, so this likely won’t get much…most photos show these pretty clean

7 Likes

That looks amazing! I think free hand was the right decision. The soft edges look really nice and I think suit this very well.

Nothing wrong at all with keeping it clean Jeff… All I would do is a gentle wash to show off the panel lines and recesses and give it a bit of a dusting on the tyres… My Pantsir will be clean as well. And it looks terrific with the cam scheme you’ve picked… And very steady freehand as well… Really nice work :+1:

1 Like

Looks great! But I shudder to think how many of those 10ml jars it took…

2 Likes

Thanks its been along time since I’ve airbrushed something so large . Surprisingly I used less than half of a 10ml jar of green. I thinned it about 50 percent to avoid sputtering like I fought on the gray

1 Like

Thanks @Canmedic - I definitely like the soft edges.

Thanks @Johnnych01 doing that method of weathering sounds like a plan. Ill seal the paint w future before adding a wash and dust

The camo looks great!! And d@ng, that thing is big :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent finish. The free hand has definitely come out trumps.

Have you tried Tamiya lacquer thinners with retarder? It has an orange cap. I just bought some and after using it with AK Real Colour I found the tip drying issue vastly improved.

3 Likes

I use AK Real Colors with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner and have no tip dry, ever. Perfect, completely trouble free, glorious airbrushing.

2 Likes