8 Wheelers from 1965 - to Present

This photo is not part of the 8 Wheelers build but just wanted to remind everyone of all the amazing detail (and work) that is now hidden beneath heliman’s big Costal Defense Gun monster!

Great work there Jeff!

This is actually the MAZ-7410 semi tractor model which is a slightly different chassis than the Coastal Gun. Also this one has no lifting/leveling hydraulic jacks.

3 Likes

thanks, next time Im ordering supplies I’ll check it out.

@SSGToms -yeah the leveling thinner is fantastic! I’ ve read several reviews of using the product w several brands paint usually a huge no- no and am very pleased. It seemed to keep a wet edge longer also, allowing me to feather the camo

1 Like

@165thspc thanks for posting your chassis again, Ill dust mine up for its cross-country travels and post photos before locking everything down. I’m planning a tractor like yours hauling a btr 80 this yr

1 Like

AGREED - Mr Levelling Thinner 400 may be more expensive BUT so much more effective, esp. with thin gloss surfaces for smoothness. Cleans airbrushes too superbly, but I do have a vented spray booth as an essential. So saves on extra products.

Cheers
Andrew T

Decided to prime all the remaining parts on the sprue with a Halfords grey from a rattle can.
There are a lot of little sub assemblies for the chassis and moving on in the build, so though that will be the easier option…

2 Likes

I’m joining with Trumpeter’s M1133 Stryker MEV. I think I’ll do it straight OOB. I got this kit as a gift a little over a decade ago, so it’s time to finally get around to building it!

5 Likes

Welcome to the fun Lucas, does this come with any interior or medical accessories apart from the decals ?

Nice kit @DeskJockey !!

As for the THAAD: after a little while, you end up with something resembling a chassis :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sadly, no. It has no interior at all, despite the box art.

1 Like

Sadly, my version of the M1133 kit doesn’t come with the water and soda boxes. Trumpeter helpfully placed blank stickers over them in the parts diagram and on the page where they are mentioned in the instructions. I guess that was cheaper than redesigning and reprinting the instructions.

Don’t be too disappointed, the prints I have for my LAV are pretty sad.

I wonder why they took them out. Copyright issues, maybe?

Yeah probably. The LAV comes with Canadian rations and water boxes, but the print resolution on them is so low the markings just look like blobs and squiggles. They’re also just on regular paper, so not exactly durable.

I’m going to try gluing mine to some Manila envelope card to see if that’ll stiffen them up enough to work with.

On the real thing too, if this is anything to judge by:
:rofl:

1 Like

This way you don’t know you’ve got Ham Steak in Mustard Sauce until it’s too late.

3 Likes

@DeskJockey @Canmedic If you guys want printed water, soda, and ration boxes on card stock, I have some sheets that I made up. They’re not razor sharp, but they’re recognizable. PM me your address and I’d be happy to mail you a couple of sheets, free.

2 Likes

Please forgive me as I might be butting in here:

Just wanted to show a lessor known 8 Wheeler built by Oshkosh. ~ Not at all intended as part of this group build as this one is already built. The S-B-S is somewhere back in the archives.

Offered to the Marines but they did not seem interested. A few however, have been sold to our European Allies. (To my knowledge no official designation number was ever assigned to this vehicle. Oshkosh built them totally on spec.)

The vehicle is based on the Marine Mark 23 heavy truck but with an extended frame and O-k’s modular TAK-4 axle structure plus a stock LHS container system.

It took two Mark 23 kits and one HEMTT LHS plus a container to build this model but I assure you NOTHING was wasted out of any of those kits. Right off the bat you can build this shorty Oshkosh (also Experimental) 4x4 called the “TerraMax” with the left over parts!

autowp.ru_oshkosh_mtvr_4x4_short_bed_cargo_1CROP_sm IMG_7993Xsm

6 Likes

Excellent builds, and it is always seeing scratch building and kit bashing like that. Very neat work :+1:

1 Like

To bad these two are not available as normal kits, they look great, especially the big one!!

1 Like