A-10C 82-0661 IN ANG 'Blacksnakes'

Well, first coats applied. The first one, the lighter is FS36375 and is applied for the lower side and some upper side also.

I also painted the false canopy.

And then, masking time for the darker grey, FS36320.

And the final result. There’s not a big difference between both greys, but it’s a bit appreciated at sunlight and flash.

That’s all for now. Now, let it dry for 2 days and then gloss coat.

Regards!!

5 Likes

Hi there!!!

I was up to airbrush the glossy coat when I realized about that

The putty from the scratched flaps was not very well sanded, and I didn’t see it when primmed. But the gray paint showed the fault. So after many tries without success, I finally could solve it and leave a better surface before spraying the gloss coat.

I also took advantage for contrast both greys, mainly in the wing’s roots and in the engine’s cowls.

And that’s all for the week. Next, the decals and begin with the filters.

Happy weekend!!

5 Likes

Hi guys!

I’ve been making some advances in the ‘Hog’. The landing gear’s legs and some oils on them.

The front leg took me all the sunday morning due to the PE parts.

I’m not sure if the result deserves all the time employed.

And finally, I made the decals for starboard side, upper and lower.

Let’s see if I’m capable of make the left side of the snake to match with the right. But not today.

Cheers!

6 Likes

Looking fantastic Nacho, very impressed :smile:

Thank you, Mr.Hatton!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just saw your work. Very impressive!!! :+1: :+1:

Thank you so much, Nikos!

Now she’s a real Blacksnake!

And the decals are already set up!!

Now, I’m going to try the Ammo filters for the first time.

Regards!

7 Likes

First attemp with the Ammo filters. It’s nee for me, never used before, despite this techique has around 20yo. For this A-10 I’m going to use these two colors

The grey to white doesn’t make too much contrast, at least with artificial light. The brown looks better. Two pictures of what I’ve done by now.

I can’t get a good shot of the wing, so it appears to be ‘just gray’

Thanks for looking!

3 Likes

That looks really good from here.:ok_hand: And BTW, that snake decal is a real charmer! :snake:

—mike

1 Like

I can still see them rolling across the bean and corn fields at less than 250 feet off the ground. They’d often buzz guys on their tractors. I want to say it was nearly every Tuesday morning. They did practice runs at Camp Atterberry in Johnson County (actually the county south). I’d be out there fishing while they made their runs. Probably seen them fifty times doing this. Before that it was Phantoms, and even before them it was F100’s. Looked like they followed State Road 3 south to I-70, and vectored southeast.
gary

3 Likes

Thanks Mike! Good to read you like it. I will to get some more contrast with the grey. If not, I’ll make it after panelling and make another try with the watercolours…

Thanks for watching, Sir!

1 Like

It sounds very nice, Gary. I wish I could have the chance to see one of these aircraft flying once in my life. But it seems to be hard. A-10s and F-15s are my wishes to see them at flight (or displayed). I just have seen (and been onboard) Spanish F-18s and one Eurofighter displayed at her base. I remember a French Rafale in an airshow making extemely loud passes. Some other Eurofighters in airshows and acrobatic teams also (Red Arrows, Frecce Tricolori, Patrouille Suisse, Breitling Team… and Patrulla Águila, of course :ceuta_and_melilla::ceuta_and_melilla:)

1 Like

It happens so often that you almost take it for granted. Picture the planes flying across corn fields with a slight mist at ground level. They’ll be so low that they are often just above eye level. Best one for me any way was a Cobra gunship that just came at me out of no where. Perhaps fifty feet above me when he flew over. I was on the rifle range getting ready to shoot, and still can’t figure out where he came from. He must not have known the range was there because that could be dangerous for him. I’ve gone south on I-65 and I-74 and met A7’s headed north at perhaps three hundred feet off the ground. C130’s doing pallet drops at near ground level near me as well.

The absolute craziest thing I saw was a Russian four engine transport plane (turbo prop) fly over headed due east. Perhaps stopping over in Dayton Ohio for fuel? You get to see a lot of wild stuff setting out on my deck. Blackhawk choppers have a refuel point about a mile from me, and they shake the house rolling in. The neatest thing I ever saw was while headed into work on the day the ran the Indy 500. There was a B2 flying over downtown Indy at maybe six hundred feet (wasn’t much higher than the buildings). Just looked like it was floating
gary

2 Likes

A small update on the Hog.

I’ve been panelling the aircraft with Ammo Panel Liners. So easy to apply and remove. Never used them before, so I guess I’ll make some better panelling in the next aircraft.

Meanwhile, as the Panel Liner dries for an hour, I leave all the Air to Ground ordnance ready for the matt varnish.

That’s all for now!

Regards!

6 Likes

Hi all!!!

It was weathering weekend. The idea is a well used Hog during OEF in A’stan. So I’ve been generous with the oils. There’s time to make changes yet, so if you think there are things to change, let me know.

Processing: IMG_20220515_183418.jpg…

Thanks for watching!! :crazy_face::crazy_face:

7 Likes

Here"s her belly. Not fully loaded yet.

5 Likes

Very nice… careful not to rub the belly too much because she will go “brrrrt”

5 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

I finally finished the belly (without rubbing the belly too much :joy::joy:) with all the ordnance.

From left to right, she carries:
1xGBU12, 1xLAU131, 1xAGM65, 1xGBU38, another GBU38, 1xGBU31, 1xAGM65, 1xGBU12, 1xAN/AAQ14 Lantirn, 2xAIM9L.

And a few close up shots from the belly and nose.

I just have to paint small details like antennas, transmitters, and stuff like that before airbrushing the matt varnish.

Hope you like it!! Happy weekend

7 Likes