African Nations - Land, Sea, Air or Elephant platforms- Friend or Foe

I hear you, I mainly build ww2 so wanted to take the chance to branch out. Considering

1. a Blackhawk or little bird from the 160th SOAR in Mogadishu

2. something French like an AMX-13

3. this photo from operation mount hope III when the 160th SOAR “procured” a hind from the government of Chad because I think it would be really cool

1. something from the Canadian peace keeping operation in Rwanda
1 Like

3 would be very cool … but very very big …

Oh live a little, the hind doesn’t even have a prop!

Jokes aside the size is the one thing scaring me off for sure.

I have some DAK and 8th army vehicles in my stash, but also a SADF Ratel 90… So I might participate…

If you need some inspiration here is a build from another forum.

https://www.plasticpanzers.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=2019

Olivier

Make it in 1/72 and not 1/35. If you make it just at lift off the ropes (wires) an be used to hold up the 47.

Good call on the 1/72. That’s what I was thinking too ! I think it’s the best option

Assuming its still available for purchase when my model fund has refilled (I may have just splurged a lot this month :stuck_out_tongue:), this will be my entry.

I am actually looking forward to it since its outside my usual builds. Doesn’t have an engine, will need some kind of rigging and its not 1/350. How fun!

You could also do it in 1/144 to save space. 1/72 is still pretty big for those helos.

1 Like

Didn’t know about the super small 47. That is an option.

I’m thinking 1/144 is probably the way to go. The 1/72 scale hind alone is 23 cm long! I wonder about the detail on the 1/144 hind though, the kit is older than me lol

Rory… I have the white jacket ready for you.

Dragon make a 1/44th Hind as well, if you can find one. Italeri have a rebox of the Dragon one though. Zvezda also makes one, but I believe it is rather chunky…

Revell do a CH-47 closer to the one in the pic:

A build here:
https://www.kampfgruppe144.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=3658&p=17782

I love it! Seems like there should be a special badge for ancient subjects.

1 Like

I don’t suppose I could impose upon you to come up with an idea or two about possible completion badges?

I may join in guys, never finished a GB build before though…just saying lol, as for a badge, why not a lion’s head with a crown, it is the king of Africa after all?? And sorry I can’t make it I have no skills in that department lol
Mike

Curious if a Dassault Rafale C of the French air force would be acceptable for this campaign?

If not I’ll probably do an Italian semovente in North Africa

Possibly…

Here’s my generic answer for this. If it was used in Africa - based there, fought combat missions there - it should be fine. I think McRunty asked about ships making a call in port earlier, and that seems a bit of a stretch. Does this help?

I think so! The rafale was used in Frances intervention in the Libyan civil war, so should be fair game?

Definitely. I know little (honestly extremely little) about French forces after the age of Napoleon.

1 Like