Airfix Tiger I - the new kit

One headlight is easy… Pistol port is easy… Tool box, not sure, but sounds OK. But I can see where this is going, you’re leading me up to that fork in the road, one way is Feifel air cleaners, the other is Zimmerit. :dizzy_face:

1 Like

The positive thought is that the zimm can hide some issues.

FirstCircle,

This kit reminds me of the old Hasegawa Tiger I I put together a lifetime ago. I remember how I struggled with trying to fix as many issues as I came across but the issues just kept coming. I did finish the kit and learned a lot about my skills at the time. I remember reading that there is no such thing as a perfect model. And I still believe that today. back then I didn’t have access to the wealth of reference material we have available today. And I think that made a huge difference in the fun I had and sense of accomplishment it gave me then. I think reference material and photographs are the biggest killers of this hobby today.

I’m on your side on this one. You’re doing an outstanding job and I just hope you are having fun or it won’t be worth the time you put in. I’m enjoying this blog and watching you work away on this kit because it brings back old memories that can’t be bought. Go Matthew, go!

~ Eddy :thinking:

2 Likes

Wow. And to think I just ordered a whole bunch of Squadron Signal books @ $4.99!

To each his own, I guess. Personally I enjoy doing the research and I get ideas for models too, but I am NOT under the illusion that the ‘perfect model’ exists. I also do a pure OOB model if I feel like it too. For example, the old Tamiya 1/25 Tiger. So that route exists too if you want. Do what you enjoy, of course, but reference materials and photos are my lifeline and energize, not kill my enjoyment!

When I build a kit, I want it to be accurate. I know kits come with a certain level of accuracy and detail from the factory. The level of detail, accuracy and fit is a consideration as to which kit I buy. If I want a nostalgic build say an old Hawk aircraft. Then I know it is is just for the enjoyment that an old simple kit brings. When I want a more accurate build I will get one of the latest kits. I personally like adding some extra detail within the scope of my skills. Therefore the extra research materials are helpful to me. I am finding however that the newest kits do not take much research materials because they come highly detailed. The kits from the 70’s and 80’s seem to need more research. If you want to build a variant of a kit that is not produced, research is defiantly required.

It’s definitely a source of fun to add details and improve accuracy. However I think with a new kit like this it’s definitely a disappointment that so much could have been better, the gun tube being a glaring example of something that the modeller shouldn’t have to be fixing.

Oddly enough, I’ve only finished one kit this year, and that required even more work than this, but it was resin and the product of what I suppose is a cottage industry, so it’s understandable. Certainly don’t think any CAD was involved in designing it, and there’s only a handful of photos of what it represents.

Anyway, on the subject of Zimmerit covering over some shortcomings, I’ve decided to stick with my July 43 story, and am off down the Feifel filters rabbit hole, so no Zimmerit…
I have knocked up the main parts for the filters themselves, now awaiting some 1.7mm wire to arrive via eBay before the holes are drilled to receive the hoses, and the parts assembled. Need to make the fiddly mounting brackets and hose connectors, and the duct for the rear deck.

Before mounting those assemblies I thought I’d better get the tool box on its odd little rack that sticks out perpendicular to the sloping back plate. Rack:

Tool box attached, looking a little messy as the glue is still setting so it hasn’t been tidied up yet.

2 Likes

Hull crew hatches are about 75% under size and have some little pip on them instead of anything resembling the armoured periscope covers.

1 Like

Loving the dedication your giving this very wanting black sheep Matthew, and I’m sorry if it’s a PIA question or I may of missed it if you mentioned it earlier. You said your not going down the Zimm route and doing the Feifel fit… Does that set up fit in with the late cupola you have fitted ?

@FirstCircle, I admire your dedication fixing up that nasty lil pig of an Airfix kit and turning it into tasty :bacon: BACON :bacon:!

Very well done and inspiring! A++

1 Like

There was a handful of the first “Mid” Tigers with no Zimmerit. They had Feifels and a single headlight by the driver - or even two headlights.
It’s not a well known Tiger version, but there it is. I will source photos if needed.

David

1 Like

That’s great to know David and thanks for putting me right :+1: that’s why these threads are so cool for knowledge … I have the Academy mid Tiger 1 with interior I have been putting off building because I hate doing Zimm… Would this one fit in with the handful you mention so I can do it out the box ? I’m pretty sure it comes with the Feifel system on the sprue ( I may be wrong about that though lol…) sorry to have gone off on a tangent Matthew :+1:
David, if it isn’t too much trouble and in your own time so really no rush… If you do have images could you PM to me if the build is possible with my kit :+1:

@DByrden is a great resource, he helped me on my Academy early Tiger on the old site, just need to finish the kit, maybe the shelf campaign later this year.

Matt, love all the fixes you have made to this build.

2 Likes

I admire you persistence, I think I would have retired this kit to the large round filing cabinet, that sits next to my office chair.

2 Likes

When the Germans had what around 250 running changes over the Tiger 1’s roughly 1350 vehicle production? That averages out to about 1 change 5 ot 6 Tigers. Their lack of manufacturing discipline definitely makes for fun modeling!

@DByrden is invaluable with the help and information he provides sorting out that spaghetti ball of confusion.

Greatly appreciate @DByrden many contributions to the knowledge base!

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face: Any photos would really be great David, please, mainly for the finishing options - the question of which formation operated this type, and where, is not at all clear to me.

The pistol port plug:

Spent much of this afternoon working out if I could solder the mounts for the S minen launchers, only to realise that my soldering iron just isn’t up to anything other than electronics. Ordered more powerful iron.

Tow cables also require changing. Noticed someone selling 1/72 Tiger tow cables on ebay stating £20 postage from Poland… that’s more than from Australia or the USA - is this some kind of post Brexit adjustment? Like virtually everything else so far, I’ll just have to make them myself. :hammer_and_pick:

Thanks for the, ahem, encouragement everyone. For some reason chucking it in the bin hasn’t really seemed to be an option, though it has diverted me from the really very nice Vespid Comet kit, so maybe I should have done exactly that.

2 Likes

You will look back on it as a major victory once you have won this battle …

2 Likes

Hmm, not too sure about that… :unamused: maybe just a waste of time.

Here are the Feifel units, looking kind of OK, and I have to keep reminding myself that photos show these things to have been not particularly hardwaring pieces of equipment.

Went for the “authentic” method of mounting them on two small blocks, when a big strip would have been more practical:

I forgot to sand and shape down the plugs (the brown disks) on the back before mounting them, so they stick out way too far. I will attempt that later with great care so as to not knock them off.

So they are on the blocks with polystyrene cement and the brass brackets with ca glue. Going to leave it alone over night to fully set before touching anything else. :sweat:

3 Likes

The photo of the rear shows another error in the kit design, where the rear mud flaps extend too far on the inner edge and overlap with the hull side plates. It means that they would foul the towing shackles if a cable was attached. I’ve narrowed them a little, but a bit late now to fully fix.

1 Like

Doing a top job on those Feifels… They look great :+1:

1 Like

Every time I stop by, I’m amazed at the work you’re putting in. This is going to be fantastic when it’s finished.

2 Likes