Allied trucks

I think most attention goes to armour,… :roll_eyes:

Then I will add something to the topic … Left Gun Quad Tractor from Tamiya

8 Likes

Wow - that turned out great! (I can almost feel the heat of the desert just looking at it…)

Here is the old Heller 1/35 CCKW that I built decades ago… dusted off for a recent photo session…

5 Likes

The Heller kit is still pretty good, even if the brush guard is a tad chunky by modern standards. You did a good job there! I’ve got a bunch of these in the stash to use in conversions - I don’t think I’ve built a single one as a standard truck yet…

1 Like

Thanks Tom. I think that the kit was decent enough. very well detailed for its age and lots of little easily broken parts. I had to replace the mirror arms with bits of brass wire rod. One of these days I’d like to get the Italeri and Tamiya CCKW kits to sit alongside this one. Not to mention some release of the Peerless/Testors/Italeri 1 1/2 Ton truck. They may lack glamour or heroics. but no army goes far or fast without its’ supply trucks.

4 Likes

That s a great looking truck! I am glad the Heller kit can be build to this quality, I have a kit waiting to be build for my IDF diorama.
And like you said, the logistic part of any army is often forgotten, loved the book and film about the Red Ball Epress!

This looks amazing, well done @PiotrK . I just recieved one of these from the postman today! You have done an amazing job!

Thx Nick :innocent:

Hello fellow truckers! Thought I’d drive another one up into the convoy. Here’s my Mirror Models (35805) 1/35 US Diamond T 968A Cargo Truck / Open Cab.

The cab-hood-radiator assembly is a tricky one-piece tilt and lift-off unit for engine viewing.

Hope you like it! :grin:

7 Likes

DUKW rhymes with truck…

Italeri’s 1/35 DUKW that I built about 20 years ago when it was a new release. The cargo bed tarp is Verlinden. Side mirrors were broken off and lost during moves over the past 20 years… :angry:

9 Likes

And you’re not DUKWing around, either! That DUKW is awesome! … Quack! :duck:

6 Likes

White 666 Conversion to a Semi-Tractor:
Plus ~ 20 ton Flatbed Trailer and a D7 Caterpillar.

The only underbody detail that came with this resin kit was the spare tire.

Question: Anyone know just who built these 20 ton flatbed trailers for the Army Corps? The only trailer manufacturers from that era that I know of are, Rogers, Hobbs, Pacific Car & Foundry and Utility Trailer Corp. but I have no idea of the actual source here.

9 Likes

A WC in the Mud
The venerable old Peerless Max / Italeri WC plus M100 Trailer.

6 Likes

Those PM kits were fun!

I’ve been working on a CCKW radio truck based on the Azimut conversion, and found myself in need of a Ben Hur trailer for the generator. Not finding a resin trailer available at the usual outlets, I cracked open the tech manual for data and raided the Evergreen stash!

The big wheels come from an experiment to fit trucks with DUKW 11.00-18 wheels for desert ops.

7 Likes

Happens to them in real life too!
Ken

1 Like

This is by far my favorite thread and favorite subject, thank you all for so much inspiration. I’d like to add a couple of my builds, both of which were completed well over 10 years ago. First the Italeri GMC CCKW. I tend to add homemade details such as wire tie-down loops, and for this truck I made tarpaulin bows out of flat brass stock, not really knowing (at the time) the details of the real things:

Next is the AFV Club Dodge WC52. For this model I fabricated the wading gear from a bass guitar string and some stainless wire for the breather pipe:

I’m currently working on both an M19 transporter from Merit and a Scammell transporter from Thunder Models. Fun builds that I’ll share as soon as I get some paint on them. Thanks all;

Jimbo

8 Likes

@ Jimbo. Very nice builds. Really like the bare bows on the CCKW!

1 Like

They sure are really good!!