AMX 13 challenge

Good thing I have the DEF barrel then.

You continue to provide excellent information about the AMX-13 here Olivier and also a great build with the details. Can’t wait to build mine ! Keep up the good work

1 Like

I’m surprised there aren’t more resin AM for these kits.

Slap a German cross on it, and you will have a flood of them…

Manufacturers believe they know what modellers want, and cater to that market. If they think the vehicle too eclectic, they assume others will too, and a broader market for their time and effort will not be there. We can only hope they read these forums…

I have heard that Black Dog will not do any more Australian based kits because they do not sell - the fact that their M113 ALV is such a bad kit, with many, many modellers calling out in numerous forums it has more inaccuracy than accuracy has nothing to do with their lack of sales apparently… Well it is Black dog, no great loss.

You have a couple of AM products and even 2 conversions or upgrade sets for the IDF variant (Accurate Armour and Azimut).
I guess there are so many variants from a user to another that the AM producers are a bit lost. Even in the French army service there are 4 main hull variants and at least 3 turret ones. If you include the upgrade variants (approximately 2 to 3 for each main variants) you reach an incredible number of possible combinations.

While I’m happy that Def Model provides a 75 mm gun barrel, I would have loved to see more stuff for the Dutch version.

Olivier

1 Like

Good points. I wasn’t aware that there were so many sub variants.

Excellent work Olivier … all the details you added look great!
Cheers
Walter

Thank you for coming along and the kind words Walter.

Olivier

I just bit the bullet and bought the Accurate Armour IDF AMX-13/75 Update A185. Close enough for me. I guess now I need scrounge a corrected barrel.

Cheers
:beer: :robot: :beer:

Update - found the Def Model Barrel from A-modeler aka BNA (Australia) - Go Go gadget OZ :smiley:

Good move Robbie! You’re ready for 1967 war AMX13. I hope you’ll show in progress pictures.

Olivier

Nice scratch work and attention to details. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

More progress on the three hulls with all the suspensions fitted. I also dry fitted one set of tracks on the 13/90 hull. These are sold separately by Takom. You are supposed to use 86 links and I only used 83 which appears to be enough. I’ll see when the glue has cured.

The three hulls, 13/75 IDF, 13/90 and Argentinian re-engined 13/105.

The Argentinian 13/105 reworked hull

Olivier

5 Likes

This week-end I managed to get the three sets of tracks assembled. The best way to do it is to use extra fluid cement and 85 links (86 if you intend to depict an important sagging)

Concerning the hulls, I did some progress on the Argentinian one and a bit less on the 13/90 one.
On the left the Argentine hull, on the right the 13/90 one.

The Argentinian hull without modifications.

The 13/90 hull is partly modified to show the infantry telephone removed (as it should be). You also have to modify the rear lights. On the left side, there is only one light with a small black-out one. The oval part should be on the top.
On the right, the light also needs to have the oval part on the top. (pics to follow)

Olivier

5 Likes

Today has been a good one for modeling! The three hulls are now at the same level of completion. On the IDF tank I had to downsize a bit the protections over the rear grilles as they did not allow the crowbar to sit properly.
I still have to do the most annoying i.e. the headlights and their protections. I also have some details to scratch (the empty infantry telephone location on the 13/90, one missing front light cluster on the 13/105, the spare links brackets on both the 13/90 and 13/105).
Then I’ll just have to glue some parts from the box.

Olivier

5 Likes

lovely work going on with this trio Olivier, really great watching them develop.

Looking good Olivier!

Thank you Richard.

Olivier

http://olivier.carneau.free.fr/gb_version/index.htm

I managed to correct one set of headlight protections. Takom has simplified the really complicated protection and omitted some obvious details.
First the IR light is not fixed to the glacis like the white light one. It rests on a small metal plate integrated to the protection.
Then Takom has omitted the studs on which the protection is bolted at the front.
After some hours to find out the right dimensions here is the result of the first set of protections.

Olivier

5 Likes

Wow that is great detail there Olivier!

Nice steady progress. All three are shaping up nicely. :+1: :+1: