AN/TPY-2 THAAD Radar

I started another project over the weekend. I am building the Trumpeter 1/35 AN/TPY-2 Radar trailer used by THAAD systems to acquire targets.

I am building just the trailer and will mate it to my M1088 5-ton tractor that I built a while ago. These are not pulled by M983A2 HEMTT tractors as Trumpeter paired it with. The HEMTT is overkill for the trailer.

I built the trailer pretty much straight from the box.

It is very detailed, but I added a couple things. On the front, I added open gladhands as the kit comes with ones with covers. I also added a connector for the brake lights cable and replaced the kingpin as it was too big to fit the M1088 5th wheel (the M983 has a larger 5th wheel).

The rear axle is very detailed with separate air brake parts. I did add an air tank. There are two half-circle pieces that come down from the frame that holds an air tank between them, which is not in the kit. I added the tank from styrene tubing.

Lastly, I drilled out the lug nut holes on the spare wheel as it came molded with lug nuts in the kit. On the left is how it comes (there are two wheels in the kit), with the right one drilled out.

Next up is painting. It should be done pretty soon as it went together quickly and should paint up and decal quickly.

14 Likes

I read that this is a very impressive radar in terms of performance, detection power, and range.

2 Likes

Wow, super cool :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, Gino. What are you using for reference on the radar? I’ve asked Skyway Model Shop in Seattle to order that kit and the THAAD for me. I’m planning to branch into US Air Defense Artillery once my US Field Artillery collection is complete. I’m running out of easy FA builds and have mostly conversions and resin kits left to build. So, I’m starting to buy the ADA kits that are available before they go OOP.

1 Like

Thanks gents. It is fun so far.

Unfortunately, there isn’t much out there on the radar. I have found a few pics on the net, but that is about it.

2 Likes

Which scheme?

I might suggest using a smaller drill bit for the holes on the second wheel. The ones that have been drilled look to be as big around as the lug nuts. Also (a #80 can do this) you may want to drill through the nuts before removing them. That way the holes will be uniformly spaced.
That’s how I do them and it seems to give good results.
I know - horrible old Tamiya wheel, but thirty years ago that’s all we had.

Maybe you can hide the ones on the horizontally mounted wheel with a folded tarp.

1 Like

It will be sand. I can only find pics of them in sand.

2 Likes

Hello Gino!
Good to see you working on another interesting build! And I bet you’ll find a very good use for that extra HEMTT that you now have…
Good luck with your build and have a nice day
Paweł

1 Like

Thanks Pawel. Actually, I’ll be selling the M983A2 HEMTT Tractor. I already have all the HEMTTs I need.

1 Like

The radar is done.

I painted it in sand and weathered it with a brown and sandy wash. Unfortunately, I got some crazing/orange peeling with the clearcoat and paint reacting. Oh well, it gives it character. These are kept very clean and don’t get very dirty, so that is how mine looks.

I marked it with home-made decals as a radar from 69 ADA BDE, B62 THADD Battery, Ft Cavazos, TX

Some details.

I also painted one of the rear wheels grey to represent a replacement. The hub and lug nuts are still sand. It’s hard to see in the pic, but it gives it a little more character.

I also remarked my M1088A2 tractor to be from the same THAAD battery. I also added the spare for the trailer onto the rear work platform of the truck.

Here it is all hooked up together.

This was a fun, quick build. I an happy how it came out how it looks with the truck.

7 Likes

Lovely work Gino. On another topic, I’ve been researching the M920 I’m building and I had to check out your build from awhile back.

One question; did you fit those two rows of steps on the fuel tank based on M920 images you’ve seen? The kit only provides one step at each level and all the images I’ve seen show that as being the norm.

Maybe yours is a different version or maybe the full-length steps were an in-service upgrade?

Anyway, great looking build.

Truthfully, I don’t remember. All the steps are on the PE sheet though. I only used what was in the kit.

That looks great, but those big trailers take up a lot of shelf space! lol

From the M915 kit, right?

Yes. The M920 kit may be different.

1 Like

Thank you. Glad you like it.

They do, but I like them and have plans for a few more. :grin:

1 Like

Gino did you get a M1088 early lol

Nope. It is one I converted a couple years ago.

1 Like

Ineed it does. I’ve actually seen almost this exact effect on CARC where it began to crack over time, like mud in a dry lake bed.

But that’s on ancient CARC. You won’t see it on something new.
Honestly, I think it would be time well spent to sand that down and redo it. Heck, 600 grit might even take it down without having to repaint it - just another clear coat. After it cures of course.

The printing on your decals is really nice and crisp. Which program are you using? The only problem is the carrier film seems to be way too thick. I might suggest another brand. Or use less fixative. The visible film detracts from very nice decals.

The markings are in PowerPoint using stencill-a font with my printer set on the “Best” print setting.

I am satisfied with the finish and decals. It isn’t for a competition, just the shelf. This one is done.

2 Likes