Another Special Hobby 1/72 Bf-109E

@phil2015 You will only be able to do the variants listed on the box. An E-4 boxing lacks the rounded canopy for the E-3 and the E-3 has the wrong wing for an E-1. Sorry!

Best regards

Magnus

OK, I want to do an E-7 and Sprue Bros is out of that. I thought I could use an E-4 boxing but I’ll look closer…

@phil2015 Sorry, I was wrong in that case. The E-4 and the E-7 were externally identical so in that case any of them will do! Be warned about the others though :grin:

:raising_hand_man:

Magnus

Thanks. This is the info I need!

OMG! There’s obviously no limit to the amount of evilness available around here! Stay tuned :grin: !

Magnus

3 Likes

As promised before, here comes a follow-up!

I can’t avoid buying these Special Hobby boxings, there might be help to get for this kind of behaviour but I’m not sure if it would make me happier :grin: !

A Romanian/Slovak box landed on my doorstep a few weeks ago!

And things are moving on swiftly, building several of the same kit (these are number six and seven) really helps.

I’ll do a yellow nosed Romanian from one of the kits, for the other one I’ll return to an earlier boxing:

I’ve already done Werner Mölders ride from the box art so I’ll pick one of the others, with a white nose. Really missing one of these in the collection :slight_smile: !

BTW, as consumer information; there is just one kit in each of the Special Hobby boxes, the extra one comes from an Eduard double-box of the same kit that I also just happened to buy :grin: .

Magnus

7 Likes

I’m sure there is “help” out there Maybe, but not only will it not make you happier, it doesn’t make us happier either: we wouldn’t get to see you build more excellent models; and Special Hobby’s revenue would be down, meaning they couldn’t bring more of these excellent kits to market…:pleading_face:

1 Like

Almost at the primer stage here!

Magnus

3 Likes

Almost through the painting stage, some mottling missing on the Luftwaffe machine only.

I’ve booked the repair shop tomorrow to reattach the missing flap, no worries :slight_smile:

Magnus

3 Likes

And mottling added! Not a bad thing to do on Good Friday :grin: !

The white recognition markings really add to the looks even if the white paint effectively swallows all detail. They will pop with the weathering though.

Magnus

4 Likes

Decal problems with the Romanian option. The yellow parts are a pixelated and thinly printed very bleak yellow. Not good, not good at all, and a huge disappointment.

Climbing the stash (of course using a safety rope, a high-viz jacket and a good quality hard hat) to get my Arma Hobby East Front Boxing Hurricane (that’s one long model name…) didn’t help either, it has a Romanian option but with entirely different crosses :frowning: .

What’s even more disturbing is that the E-1 I did a year ago suffered from the same problem with the numbers, also a bleak and slightly pixelated look. It isn’t too prominent on the finished model but I know about it and it annoys me…

I have started adding the crosses. And since I’m a very clever person I of course started with the upper surfaces of the wings.

They look fairly OK here, but trust me, they aren’t! First time ever that the camera improves something close-up :slight_smile: !

This part is always a bit nerve-wracking…

…but it’s fairly easy to fix!

Masking and painting, starting from the outside with the white borders…

…yellow in the middle…

…and then a tremendous amount of masks to end up with this…

…that looks fairly OK. I wish I could get a bit more precision but this is right on the edge of what my Cameo can handle and I think adjusting with a paint brush is allowed :slight_smile: . I managed to splash one of the masks with red paint that seeped below but that’s also fixable after letting the paint harden for a day or so.

Magnus

7 Likes

Magnus, you are a master of your art, sir! :blush:

Painted on markings always trump decals. You’ve successfully removed the decals and repainted the areas so that not only is the area vastly improved but one would never know there were decals there first! :+1:

1 Like

Jeez, man! Superb work! I clicked on this expecting to see one Bf-109, but instead I got not one, not two, but seven masterfully done planes! Great job!

@Russelle It’s not that it’s difficult but it is an unnecessary hickup in the project :slight_smile: ! Things have improved the last week though, see below!

@CKPlasticModels Thanks a lot Colin! There is more to come, since I bought another Romanian boxing last week to pick spare decals from, the total number of Special Hobby 109s (build and unbuilt) have now reached an even dozen :grin: ! I’ll go on filling this thread with them.

Just waiting for that wild boar-emblem to arrive in the mail, then we’re off again!

Magnus

5 Likes

Hee Hee, you NEVER disappoint Magnus :slight_smile:

1 Like

love this camo. can’t wait to see it done.

Joe

@HGBARNES and @Bomber14 , sorry for my late answer! Progress has been slow during the summer but I promise to finish these even if I have stumbled upon another distraction for the time being!

Magnus

2 Likes

Too much time on vacation :wink:

1 Like

@Russelle I’ve actually had quite some time free at home as well but I didn’t get around to doing anything useful with these! Now is a different matter though, after letting them rest for a few months it actually feels rather inspiring finishing them, they’re almost there!

Magnus

6 Likes

I understand what you mean Magnus: when the sun is shining and the weather warm, the great outdoors is much more of a draw card… :slightly_smiling_face:

Your work on this pair really is fantastic! :clap: :clap: :clap: