Antique Antics

Just a young pup, my oldest ownership kit in the stash is only about 24 yrs.

LOL…I’ve been on my 2nd rebirth of modeling since I was introduced to models by my grandfather back in the mid 60’s (and joining IPMS in 1964). That 2nd rebirth started up again in 1975 (after my first year in the military). Immediately started armor back then and haven’t looked back.

Mine rebirth started in 96 when a Sgt showed me that if don’t have a roommate the lower bunk could be a WW2 diorama layout. Still have his two Shep Paine books. Haven’t left modeling since but many of those years I could be called a collector and not a assembler or builder.

A couple of progress shots for the 88mm.

Going together pretty well with no big issues apart from my clumsiness…a few of the parts are quite thin and fragile and a combination of my not so thin cutters and sausage fingers wasn’t a good mix lol.
Anyway, I managed to repair a few snapped bits which haven’t affected it’s movement or operation.
Will complete the gun hopefully today and start on the bogies then. John.

1 Like

I forgot to ask a Q to any 88mm experts.

The small hole in the end of the Breach block you can see below.

Is there something that goes in it as I can’t find anything on a sprue or any mention of it ? Or is it just meant to be there ??

Man this kit brings me back to my childhood!

I’m no 88 expert but I don’t think that’s a location for a part, it’s supposed to be there.

1 Like

Hi all
here is the first picture of my 9P110 WIP. Nothing special about it. I just started to hollow the big block of resin so it weighs less. Afterwards I need to blank off the hole and I can start gluing parts. Except from the splash board arms which are wrong, I won’t change anything nor add anything to stick to the campaign rules.

Olivier

2 Likes

What is that, about one pound of resin removed?

I guess so. Don’t ask if it’s a US or UK pound though, I really don’t know :laughing:

Olivier

1 Like

No building for me just yet as I have only just finished some research reading:

md22449836991

1 Like

Johnnych01
I forgot to ask a Q to any 88mm experts.
The small hole in the end of the Breach block you can see below. Is there something that goes in it as I can’t find anything on a sprue or any mention of it ?
Or is it just meant to be there ??

No John, other than a small protrusion

2 Likes

So Olivier, has the dust settled yet? I guess you will be dusting and vacuuming for a week… :joy:

That’s the main gun finished. Some completed pics. The light grey areas are just bits I primed while on the sprue.

I really like this kit, in fact I’m thinking of getting another one to do again. Goes together really well. No fit issues and nothing that causes any real alarm. For a 40+ year old kit. It still holds its own.
Next… The wheels :grin:

6 Likes

Greatbwork & progress.
And your bench is… so clean!!

1 Like

I worked in the garage far from SWMBO :laughing:
What I didn’t remember was the smell of the napalm, erh, the Verlinden resin in the morning :wink:
I still need to cut all the pouring lugs and I’m done with this stinking resin.

Olivier

2 Likes

Yes a very distinctive smell Olivier - which never goes away. I have sets decades old that have not lost one iota of potency!

Lol… I wish it was always so clean @RonW … I try to keep it as tidy as possible as I only have a limited work space compared to others benches I’ve seen.

It is my assembly area, painting area, partial storage and generally everything area lol… And if I keep it tidy it stops SWMBO from getting on my case haha :+1:

1 Like

Dang, that is much space to mess up. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

@Bison126 Modelers LOVE that resin smell! It’s a running joke at AMPS that we need a Little Tree car air freshener with the resin scent!

That’s a great bench John. The last thing you want is for the wife to tidy it up, that would spell disaster!

3 Likes