Antique Antics

No good can from that kind of help. If she does like I tell the kids, in the trash can it goes. :scream:

Cheers Matt, it works great for me. And I am sticking to my guns for pre new years resolution of not going over 2 builds at once. I’m not counting the Striker in that as it’s a slow burn kit that’s has a bit done here and there. In fact that kit qualifies for this build as well thinking about its age lol.

1 Like

I usually like the smell of resin but I must admit that this Verlinden one is really strong.

Today progress do not derserve any pictures. I started to cut the pouring lugs of the roadwheels and the intermediate ones and of course I messed up the latter. I cut one nearly 0.5 mm too much. I had to glue a bit of plastic card and sand the excess to hide my mistake.
When I was done, I opened my CA glue bottle to see it was empty. So I took a new one in my drawer were it was stowed for apparently way too long. It was dry too even if the bottle was still sealed.
Now I just need to wait for the stores to open tomorrow. That’s bad campaign planning :blush:

On a side note, Verlinden made a couple of mistakes too. The intermediate wheels are oversized but I can’t change this. The splashboard arms must me made from scratch.
The PE fret is thick as armor. It won’t be easy to bend.

Olivier

2 Likes

Somethings are never easy Olivier. Hope you sort the PE out, nothing worse than when it’s hard to bend. Good luck…

Looks like several folks are off to excellent starts!

Nothing picture worthy here. Finished cleaning up 215 ModelKasten track links. Started cleaning up the 32 road wheels now.

1 Like

Ok, so the major build is all done now.

I painted the wheels as I don’t want to mess the tyres up later.
There is just just some basic touch up bits to do, and cleaning off a few areas of excess glue.
Will leave the cable drums empty until later then add the cable, will probably leave at least one empty.
I will definitely be getting another one of these kits, really loved putting it together. I wouldn’t mind a Famo either. Does anyone know what sort of prime movers/half tracks could tow these ?

3 Likes

Looks good.

Great work John. For its age it really is a very good kit.

Olivier: Yes, those old Verlinden etch frets should come with a link for one of these:

2 Likes

Nice job on this oldie-goldie, John!

You will need a Sd.Kfz.7 halftrack to tow the Acht-Acht.
Tamiya’s one is from 1990, while there are also offerings from Trumpeter and Dragon.

1 Like

Spent a few hours on Sunday working on mine. Nothing too bad but this kit is a bit rough around the edges, getting those wheels mounted and true was quite the challenge.

Here’s a rough look at where it may be heading.

2 Likes

Noice, are you mounting the RR on it?

And Im Off…

3 Likes

@Tank_1812 thanks Ryan, yes I will be mounting the RR!

1 Like

I was able to move the current project due Jan 4th to the paint barn so I can start on this campaign. No photos yet but cause it had been years it sat in an open box top I had to wash the dust off now before going on and adding small bit that would almost be guaranteed to get damaged later.

A clean/neat bench? :joy: NEVER!!

4 Likes

Except for the 1 sqft your working in. :+1:

Some great builds starting now guys. Looking forward to watching them come together.

Ok, I have main bits attached. Now all the frigging handles and little bits that like to break when you look at them is next. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Thank you for posting a picture of your desk, John. It shows I am not the only one with a desk like that. :wink: :grinning: :grinning:

If you are going with the grab handles that are not from the kit, and used by other countries, use brass or steel wire/rod. Makes a whole lot of difference…and won’t break when you look at them. :eye: