Assemble in 150 (?) hours! SU-85 mod. 1943 early production. MiniArt 35178

Yes. Better take Tamiya. Everything is clear and understandable. Assembles easily and quickly. The pleasure from the assembly and the finished result.

1 Like

The problem is that there are so few StuG III G late type kits out there that I might have to resort to one of these insanely complex ones… :frowning:

1 Like

You can try to choose something from Takom or RFM.

1 Like

Get the StuG III G Blitz kit by Takom. It’s very easy to assemble, Tamiya - like parts count, and it’s a beautiful kit.

1 Like

Agreed :+1: :+1: :+1:

Poorly designed is the word that comes to my mind. I do have a couple MiniArt kits, very likely they will end up “donoted” to model club raffles for disposal.

2 Likes

Model kit makers need to be able to strike a good balance between accuracy and buildability, because if you have a mostly accurate kit that is not too long to assemble, maybe the customer will return to buy another kit soon!

2 Likes

In fairness, it should be noted that perhaps I am such a perfectionist, and I have been assembling this model for so long. Someone else would probably have assembled it, painted it, and put it on a shelf a long time ago.
But, in any case, this does not negate the fact that the model is really complex.
Probably, after the assembly, I will still make a small review of the assembly process and describe the difficulties that I encountered.

1 Like

Miniart kits get a bad rep. They are complex but with patience and a good razor saw they aren’t too challenging, they just take a long time. I would say they tend to be overly engineered but they are really nice

2 Likes

Beautiful work Vladyslav & good to see all wheels perfectly on the ground at last.

Comments show there’s a spectrum of opinions out there about MiniArt kits. I guess every manufacturer pumps out some dud or difficult kits, all I can say is that I’ve built at least 10 of MiniArt’s and I’ve yet to be disappointed, quite the opposite. We each have our own breaking-point regarding complexity & there’s no right or wrong about that. I’ve occasionally been frustrated for sure, but typically due to contributory operator error. A semi-relevant example being their SU122 (cousin of the SU85) built totally out of the box – excellent kit, busy interior but no problems I can recall & whatever imperfections are mine…

4 Likes

Thanks, Tim!
You build models with interiors and you are doing great! I, looking at this, am horrified when I imagine the amount of time that I will need for such a construction site. I have one kit of Miniart with an Interior I started and tossed into the far corner. The main problem for me is myself. I’m overly demanding of what I do. I would say - exaggeratedly demanding. :unamused: If, for example, the angle should be 90 degrees, then I should have it not 89, not 91, but exactly 90. Therefore, I can spend two hours instead of two minutes gluing two parts. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Therefore, seeing the body of the model, consisting of “hundred” parts instead of “two”, I already mentally imagine the epic of assembling the body for a year. :face_with_peeking_eye: But I want to see the result now. Not in a year. That’s why I think it’s a difficult job. Accordingly, the model itself seems to me complex.
There are other reasons of a personal nature that directly affect my modeling work. But that’s another story.

2 Likes

Well said! There are some very lucky modelmakers here who seem to have no problem making models - they start at Step 1, finish at Step 100, and the result is excellent. What could be simpler?

I wish I had that machine-like approach, it presumably involves switching off all emotional & personal psychological distractions, with constant injections of self-discipline. Well, I for one am absolutely nowhere with any of that. Instead, similar to your self-description I wrestle those two conflicting forces of perfectionism and impatience. Without finding a workable compromise between those two I doubt it’s possible to even finish a model or project, let alone get a pleasing result.

It has to be fun or there’s no point doing it. For me switching off imagining the completed model immediately makes the process more enjoyable, because it’s the main driver of (my) impatience. That final perfect image has to be there at the beginning of course, but it helps to push it right to the back of the mind (if not out of it altogether!) during construction. Once the order of steps has been decided, I just focus totally on the current step as a separate kit. It seems to reduce impatience anyway, by increasing the sense of finishing something no matter how small. As for perfectionism I got nothing – as you say, incurable. :face_with_head_bandage:

3 Likes

My models tend to take a while because I just don’t have a lot of time. As a student, I usually only have the weekends free, and on top of that, I usually have lots of work to do, meaning less time for models. Wet palettes have really saved me in that regard, but my Sdkfz. 251/8 took from around october of last year to june/july of this year. I just wasn’t able to find the time to work on it. But in the end, I took my time and love the end result.

3 Likes

That is the most important part, imho to modeling.

2 Likes

So far, it is my best-looking model!

1 Like

Hi all!
To get a little distraction from working on the model, I’m slowly working on the figures. I am correcting what I think needs to be corrected.

There are also a lot of questions about the figures themselves. What is called - “find 10 differences”.
In real life, it was like that.

Here is what MiniArt gives in the instructions.

And here is what we actually have.

Photos with the uniform are taken from here:

3 Likes

That site looks awesome! Knowing multiple languages is really useful in gathering references, especially for Soviet references. Usually, it is only available on russian sites/in the russian language. I was searching for T-34 references a while ago and found a great load of them on a russian site. Especially useful since info on the soviet army is more available in former soviet republics.

1 Like

Hello everyone!
First of all, I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
I would like to wish you all good, happiness, and family well-being!
Let the next year 2023 be the best in our lives!
As for the assembly of the model, for a whole month, I did not even approach it. This is due to personal reasons. But, life goes on, the New Year is ahead, and the upcoming weekend, I hope, will allow me to enter the stream again.
I won’t have time to make a model before the end of the campaign, because there is still a lot of work ahead. But the build will continue. I want to bring this work to the end and do it as best as possible!
With best wishes, Vladislav!

2 Likes

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours. Look forward to seeing the project progress when you can.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I am excited to see your next progress, and join you in the super-long builds, In my case, though, it is mostly out of laziness to take out my modelmaking setup and schoolwork. Enjoy your holidays and don’t feel pressured to rush the model, it’s looking great at every step!

Thanks to all, Friends!
I will continue to move forward!

1 Like