Battle of the Bulge

I only have access to volume 1. On my e-reader I am reading Alamo in the Ardennes. This tells about the area east of Bastogne. Also wel written…

well then you are blessed because Vol one is the hardest to get and frightfully expensive.
J

1 Like

Try reading the Center for Military History volume on the Ardennes if you get the chance. Talk about a grand work! The author is Charles MacDonald, also author of “Company Commander”, and a veteran of the battle. Somehow he manages to get all of the overview, plus many snippets of small unit actions into his work.

1 Like

Collectively known as The Green Books. I managed to get my h ands on a complete set. As far as official histories go they are very well balanced and pull no punches. Many of the volumes were compiled by professional historians. Great reading.

Yes, I have a few other volumes, mostly the early Pacific War theater: Fall of the Phillipines, Papua, and Guadalcanal. Plus I think that I have one more that I can’t recall at the moment. The three photo volumes of the series: ETO, MTO, and PTO/CBI are really great to study as well with all of their Signal Corps photos.
That full collection of the series must take up a bit of your library space!

[quote=“Stikpusher, post:45, topic:25825”]
That full collection of the series must take up a bit of your library space!
[/quote] :grin: :grin:

The problem is a lot of those older books have false info in them and now we are continually faced with new authors simply repeating the bad intel from the older books.
Many myths have been built and perpetuated because of this.
Not to say all the content is flawed but you have to be careful.
J

I get that. But the CMH volumes are supposed to be based upon unit after action reports of both sides, and similar such document source materials. Of course any vet knows that an after action report may be written with omissions or biases depending upon the officer writing said report. Not to mention that some records get lost or misfiled and don’t turn up for many years in archives.

1 Like

Bergström does reference the aforementioned book, but also debunks some of the false information in it.

1 Like

Well I seem to be doing much better here than on Facebook. A pic of a cup of coffee over there got more attention than my newest dio. Seriously.
J

I have one and would not mind selling it

Facebook algorithms are a bitch; I see more of the crap friends post that I’m not interested in than they post of what we’re friends for. And adverts for stuff I have no interest in or accidentally clicked on one advert for.

Do you post in groups or under your own account?

I post in my account plus one group I run. I also sometimes post in large FB groups as well. I have done nothing different but all of a sudden my posts that sometimes would get 1 or 2 thousand “likes” now get about 50. It happened very suddenly. Two possibilities. Either my stuff now sucks and nobody likes it or two= there is a limit put on me concerning how many eyes get to see my post. Call it shadow banning or whatever you want. The usual smoke screen for anyone concerned is pulling the word “algorithm” out their arse. Very convenient,
J
J

1 Like

Well, it’s sure not a case of “my work sucks”. I’ve been building for over 50 years now and still only wish that my figure skills were at your level. Not to mention how quickly you appear to turn them out. :wink:
Your projects kick ass. Truly high speed/low drag. Don’t get hung up on FB.

3 Likes

Thanks budd. I appreciate the support.
Onward and upward !
J

Jerry,
Have you thought of making a dio of 106th division?

Something a bit different.

1 Like

No, not really. My interest in the BoB was always concerning the events covered in Duel in the Mist. I dunno what I will do next. Kinda have no mojo right now.
J

I see.
Come up to MN and we’ll hit some model shops.

1 Like

I spent some mighty cold deployments to upper Minn. while stationed at Ft Carson. Brrrrr. The other season up there is called mosquito time,
J

1 Like

We just got down with a week of super cold winds from Siberia!
Every day felt about -20! Yea!

1 Like