Beast in the attic... Airfix 1/24 P-51D

Thanks, the moving prop is a good idea, I thought about that after reading Carl’s Douglas A20 thread.
I have seen that Instagram modeller Small Scale Creations do that effect.
First I will see how my attempt to mould one goes, using Blue Stuff and epoxy putty, but I am definitely making this with the wheels up.

I’ve spent a while browsing ebay, trying to work out how to mount it in flight on the wall and have the position adjustable.
Not very purist I know, but I’ve drilled through the location socket behind the cockpit on one side so that a 4mm threaded rod can be fitted. I’ve mounted a pair of M4 nuts on each side, kind of floating a little so that the rod will definitely screw in place.

At the moment that’s just a bolt, but I have a 200mm rod on order. The other end will screw into a 10mm steel ball which can then be clamped into one of those mini photography multipositional rigging clamps, like this:

The other end of the clamp will receive a 6mm threaded rod which, hopefully will connect to an M6 ball end bolt (the type used for connecting car tailgate stuts) via a threaded collar.

That M6 rod should then be able to be screwed straight into an M6 wall anchor. Hopefully.

5 Likes