Best Tank that Never Was - Part 2!

The thing is also massive and super easy to build. I like that to.

1 Like

Spent some time cleaning parts and building track.

Not much more to add before the paint barn.

2 Likes

I’m going to start to build my Panther F, soon. I just need to wait for one more piece.

1 Like

I’ve been eyeballing this one! But I need to finish the 1/72 model I have of it first😬

1 Like

Hi gang,

If you’re still dithering, you aren’t alone! I was thinking of building another of the DIVAD competitors, but struggled to start. But recently I’ve been smitten by the Vauxall version of the Cromwell cruiser tank, and a burst of CAD effort means that a friend is printing me the necessary turret! For those who don’t know the story, in WW2 Vauxall were building Churchill tanks with cast turrets, but after the failed Dieppe raid the future of the Churchill tank was in doubt. While there was no plan to issue a follow-on contract for them, the Govt was aware of the risk of losing the skilled workforce and decided to get Vauxall into the existing Cromwell production. Vauxall took the plans and decided to add a few tweaks including a turret with a one-piece cast sidewall armour. These made it as far as prototypes and range testing before a change of mind led to a new Churchill order, so Vauxall dropped their Cromwell and went back to Churchills. The Vauxall turret has been offered in resin to varying levels of accuracy, and there are articles about modifying the Churchill VII Tamiya turret, but the Churchill and Cromwell turrets had completely different shapes.

I chose to replace the turret shell, but use the kit parts for the floor, gun, and hatches. And the hull needs lots of work to remove bolts etc since Vauxall used welding. I had a great session at the club last night, and the hull is about halfway there!

1 Like

Finally got a base coat down on my build. Considering whether to add camo or not at the moment, if so I’ll do that this weekend.

Update pics then.

1 Like

Some more progress based on some photos I have added Tamiya glue and stippled the vertices sides. There is a few more small bits and PE engine intake before the paint barn.

2 Likes

This is a cool one! Looking forward to seeing your work on it

2 Likes

Finished up the track…I think. I almost want to count the track and ask Tankraft if I can get more tracks from the KV-1 set as I am not a fan of the kit track. I think it’s mostly me is the issue.

I see I am missing a hull machine gun and the light will be added later.

1 Like

“Turrets! Why did it have to be turrets?” (Apologies to Indiana Jones…)

That certainly looks funky!

As for me, my mate handed me my Vauxall turret pint this evening, and it looks great.

I invested in an Aber barrel rather than bothering to reshape the kit muzzle brake.

3 Likes

While I do like the joke and I agree it does look funky, it would be best used on a T-35 as that has more turrets than necessary and yes I want to build one of those too.

1 Like

Well, I got some love from the airbrush today. It behaved nicely and the camo on my LeFh 18/40/2 came out better than I had expected.

4 Likes

Looking good!

2 Likes

My Cromwell is almost ready for paint, and now I have a dilemma - do I paint it in a service colour, or in a factory grey? They only built a handful of prototypes for testing, so they could have been grey to show up in photos…

1 Like

Well, it looks grey in the photo! :clown_face:

It is a good point. I suppose it depends how you want to depict it - as the prototype or a ‘what if’ it went into service like my build is.

In the end, you can paint it either and no-one could prove you wrong.

2 Likes

True. I’m leaning towards the grey at the moment…

4 Likes

A bit more progress - it is coming together soon :slightly_smiling_face:

I have decided to keep the turret on as there is no interior, but have the frame up as to show the process of mounting/dismounting the turret.

More to follow :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I think that is a good decision Jesper. you did a good job on the etch.

2 Likes

Okay, this Moron posted on the wrong thread again…

I must be getting Senile… see below.

2 Likes

Great effort Pete! And good save with those Bronco tracks. My own build still needs paint, so there might be a little movement on the end date…

2 Likes