Build A Photo 2 Campaign

Yep, just helping a brother out.

3 Likes

Started to get some colour on the groundwork. Have started by laying a base coat of grey on the concrete bridge ends.

The last shot has the paint I used. It’s an acrylic grey from a cheap hobby range of paints I got probably about 15 years ago, just thinned down. I will lighten this again and darken it in certain washes over different areas of the concrete faces to give some age variation.

I have an earth brown from the same company which will used as a base colour for the dry river bed and then actual dried earth sprinkled over a water down PVA glue.

5 Likes

A lot of thanks for your happy words, and I’m sorry for forgetting a picture to post.
I confused you…
The picture Ryan posted is my original photo.

3 Likes

Nice dark base colour for the concrete bridge abutment John, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:, looking forward to seeing the ground texture being built up, I’m always after new ideas and approaches, :slightly_smiling_face:.

G :beer:

Okay, I have been searching for something to build here that will not take an eternity like the M19 transporter and Bishop would (maybe if we have another campaign) . It has taken a while to find a photo that I believe really fits the intent of the build - a wow that would make a great dio-. Now I have found something that I like and seems to fit the bill:

Needs figures but it is more dramatic that way than something like this:

6 Likes

Too cool & with a rarely-depicted AFV to boot! I guess you must already have in mind how to depict the most challenging element…? :thinking: :tumbler_glass:

Cheat…???

A lot of what is at the front are bushes/hedgrow dragged forward (see the bushes off to the side… the dirt and dust, well I am open to suggestions from the experts, like yourself… I do not think it is water splashed up from the ditch, it seems more a puddle than anything else.

Hmmm I see what you mean but my (possibly faulty) images memory leans towards saying that’s what just water& mud clumps like in fairly fast photography exposures. Others may differ :thinking: :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

Entering the water more sedately:

If I get cold feet, I can always go this way, just it will take some scratchbuilding of figures and finding a few decals to suit the vehicle - the name “advent 2”, the red/Yellow flash (the Dragon Saladin and Bronco Humber Scout car both have the red/yellow flash with no number, so I will just it will need ‘59’ painted on it)

2 Likes

No way! After that initial tease, you have no recourse but to enter the puddle with reckless speed and abandon. You’ll be guaranteed to create a splash amongst us lurkers! :sweat_drops:

1 Like

Well I am glad I didn’t show this one first:

I was tempted to do this one - for a millisecond. Fitting that many magnets in the vehicle and under the water without it shooting forward was something I rejected…

Then I contemplated:

5 Likes

I’m still not convinced it is muddy water, there just does not seem to be enough water around the vehicle to justify that amount of splash and the plume at the side doesn’t match the usual high outer point. Compare the ground and the splash pattern on the side in the pick to the amount of water required for a similar splash here, but notice the pointed side plume here:

4 Likes

Ain’t Life strange, never in my wildest dreams did I get up this morning expecting an esoteric discussion about fluid dynamics captured in photography :confounded: Go with your instincts mate, and you’re right to avoid any diorama involving magnets – I once tried to make a section of maglev train track and….and…the…proton…proton……(that’s a very obscure Ipcress File ref) :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

To throw some driver training and past experience into the melee, I’m afraid I have to back up Tim’s initial thought, that is 95% water and mud flying around there.
Saying that, artistic expression is a must in some areas and fully endorsed :grin:
I will go through the rational with each of the images from experience.
With the Conqueror. Ignore the bushes on the left of the tank ( when on a tank or near it, you always give directions or left or right as if you are stood on the back decks looking forward )
The conqueror in this shot has been moving downward and forward with a bit of speed and hit a body of still water and caused a very big splash. It’s not something that’s caught the crew unaware as they look calm and prepared for it.
You can also see the RH mudguard through the splash and the end of the body of water in front and to the left.

In the other 4 images of the vehicles in water; image 1 and 4 show vehicles entering a deep water fording area at speed, hence the massive splash.
Image 2 shows a tank already in a deep ford and it’s either exiting or going over a rise in the fording area lifting it up. The water is cascading/flowing/running off the vehicle.
In image 3, and from doing the same sort of thing in the past on training, the SPG has hit a body of still water sitting in front of a hump/small rise and the splash can be seen as the wagon exits the puddle and begins to go up the slight rise…
But for the conqueror… Artistic licence rules the day Peter :grin:

1 Like

Yes, but it looks like the driver is about to regret it!

2 Likes

Lol… Have definitely been in that seat and wished I had closed down for it…

1 Like

In the first photo it looks like the TC is 20’ from the driver being so far behind him.

I think that AAV landing is going to hurt landing in the water.

2 Likes

That AAV crew is in for some serious bodily injury! Spinal compression anyone?

2 Likes

Without seeing them so often, you forget how huge a conqueror was…I remember walking round an old gate guardian down in Bovvy and it was massive…

That must be only the driver in that surely… And wrapped up like the Pillsbury Doughboy in foam…with a neck brace and back support already fitted …and a team of divers in place :grin: