Building Takoms 1/16th. Ontos w Interior

I have the Gun Barrels assembled and puttied a lot of sanding coming.

Now all 6 of the Gun Breaches (spelling ?)
I made the Pics. in 6 Pics, they should be self explanitory.

I don’t know how to explain how I did it simpler.
Regards
Donald

10 Likes

Donald, you are doing a sterling job of pointing out all the little issues with this kit and how to overcome them.
I rather fancied this but seeing how bad the instructions are and some of the things you pointed out I’ve decided to save my pennies for the up and coming 251 thats just been announced.

It really impresses me that you soldier on and take the time to show us what you find as you build with your condition and your age. Long may you continue to.

Keith

1 Like

That’s why I do it Keith. I have the 251 Pre-Ordered from andy.
You know it would be verry interesting to do a side by side build of both the Takom and coming Trumpeter kits.
I can’t afford both but the Takom kit looks verry interesting.
Regards
Donald

1 Like

I cant either but I just might, I actually want to see more details of the Trumpeter one though before deciding. What I’ve seen of the Takom made me pre-order it myself from MBK in Germany. Theyre Andy’s outlet in Europe.

Keith

1 Like

I can’t believe they didn’t do one-piece barrels. I have this kit arriving today so I really appreciate this tutorial.

1 Like

One-piece barrels would be pretty hard in this scale.
Ken

1 Like

Metal Barrels would be verry nice , but the price.
It would probably cost way more than the kit.
Donald

2 Likes

Why would a solid plastic barrel with a hollowed-out muzzle be so hard?

1 Like

Because it is 1/16 scale, which is huge. When you try to cast plastic in that large of a piece, it shrinks and warps. Tha’s why they have to do it in two pieces.
And there are six of them, so six chances for them to get messed up.
Ken

1 Like

Ok now to finish up the construction , then it’s on to the painting Detailing , and weathering.
I put the info. on the pics. so that should help any of you who are saving the Pics.
Here goes

6 Likes

Those are the covers for the optical sights on the 106mm rifle. They should be closed unless the operator is using them for sight alignment.

Ken

3 Likes

It looks like I have the open / close breach levers in the wrong position.
Thanks for the pics.
Donald

2 Likes

I have corrected the positions of the Breach Levers.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU THINK I SCREWED UP
Regards
Donald

7 Likes

A little bit. But can you still change their positions?
Here is a video that shows how the recoilless worked:

Ken

4 Likes

Well the Thing is finished FINALLY
Here are the final 16 Pics.

Well I’m very happy that this build is finished , there have been a few times that it almost went into the TRASH.
I am not really happy how it came out and would not reccomend this kit.

NOTE
Hey Site Moderator, I have a lot of 1/35th. builds that I have found.
Can I post them here ?
I will not have anything in 1/16th. untill the 251 D gets out in September , that is if I’m still alive then

Please let me know at donaldwolozanski@gmail.com

Regards
Donald

9 Likes

Outstanding build from start to finish. :star:

2 Likes

Thanks for the build post Donald, it will help when I tackle my build in the future. I think the build looks good. :+1::+1:

2 Likes

The Takom ‘Ontos’ is a well thought out kit with nothing to wish for except the frame that is positioned in front of the Commanders fire control panel that prevents the switches and buttons from being activated by accident if kicked by the commander. I scratch built mine and it looks most effective.

8 Likes

Welcome aboard. That looks good. :+1:

2 Likes

The build came out great and I hope you’re feeling better. Thank you for sharing with us and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

2 Likes