Bulgarian WWII Campaign

These are some of the more unusual schemes and markings I came across when researching online. I can see there are also several interpretations of the colors online. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have now managed to get two decal sheets on eBay with unusual marking options.

I do not fully trust the color/BW profiles, so if anybody has any info and/or pictures it will be greatly appreciated.

Info that I have so far on “white 8” and “white 2”.

3 Likes

Jesper,

These are some colored pictures from the wonderful website Royal Bulgaria in Colour www.royalbulgariaincolour.com

I’ve also preselected some B&W pictures from another great web resource(Lost Bulgaria- www.lostbulgaria.com)- check the links bellow:
https://www.lostbulgaria.com/?s=Месершмит+109
Messerschmit 109 | Изгубената България

HTH,
Cheers,
Angel

3 Likes

Angel, the more I look at the Panther Gs and the one specifically with the mantlet rain guard and crew heater, I not sure it would of had Zimm on it it was delivered late by the Russian forces ? What do you think ?

1 Like

Hi John,

Die Kampfraumheizung (the crew heater) was first mounted on a MNH Panther in mid-September 1944(Fgst. 128557).That’s about the time, when Zimmerit application was abandoned.

I’ve checked production time of all 9 Bulgarian Ausf.G Panthers- 5 would have been given Zimmerit coating in production factory and 4 were produced after Zimmerit application was abandoned.

So there are 2 options:
1.If you want to have the rain guard and the crew heater on your Panther, but you don’t want to have Zimmerit applied, then any of these Reg.No will work:
B 60423(MAN Oct.1944 production),
B 60427, B 60416 and B 60422- all three MNH Nov/Dec.1944 production.

2.If you want to have the rain guard and the crew heater on your Panther, but you also want to have Zimmerit, then you must build B 60428 (Fgst. No 124812, produced by DB in mid September 1944).

I’m not saying the real В 60428 had Zimmerit, I’m just saying it was produced exactly when one thing was introduced and another- abandoned :wink:

Hope I answered your question and herewith another picture of Bulgarian Panthers, that showed up last month(I think yours is there too)

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

Once again… You’ve come to the rescue Angel. You’ve answered all my question more than I could of asked for.
Heater and rain guard with no Zimm it is :+1::+1:

I already have the DML 3 in 1 Smart Panther G which I will use… But going to order another as I do like it … And it can be a sort of birthday pressie to me for the end of the month :grin:

1 Like

I cannot think of a better present for your birthday, John :wink:

:beers:
Angel

1 Like

I can… two kits :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Now I prefer that option lol

2 Likes

Angel, thank you for all the info on the Bf 109G and the Praha tank.

I am not sure which Praha tank to do. It seems they had whitewash on them based on the pictures from the November 1944 parade? Or is the paint work just very scruffy looking?

I have a good feeling of how the Bf 109Gs looked. What is interesting is the light white/grey mottling used on the fuselage of a number of Bulgarian Gs.
Also it seems both white and yellow tail bands and wing tips recognition markings were used.

Once I receive my decals I will reach out to hear if others have pictures of the exact machine I am building.

1 Like

3 Likes

You’re welcome, Jesper!

No whitewash was applied in the Armored Brigade during Autumn 1944 battles in nowadays Serbia and Kosovo- the autumn was warm and rainy.

The picture you posted of Praga 62(reg.no В 60262) was taken during Dec. 2nd 1944 parade in Sofia- the day was sunny and windy.

What you see as a scruffy paint is the flaking Dunkelgelb, that the tanks were delivered in- obviously a result of lacklustre painting at the overhauling factory in the Reich.The dark spots are either underlying Panzergrau or dirt.

I think you have several pictures of Praga 62(incl. one from the rear)- the young TC is of help to recognize that parricular tank.Or you can choose any from the other on the group photo in front of Sofia Cathedral.

With regard to Bulgarian Bf-109 collors-they were delivered in the standard Luftwaffe collor scheme at any particular time.

The yellow tail band and wing tips AFAIR were South Europe and Mediterranian theatre collors, so their presence on Bulgarian Bf-109 has an explanation.

White tips and tail band were recognition for North Europe and Scandinavian theatre and normally they should not have been present on Bulgarian fighters.Yet they are…

There are 2 possible explanations:
-either Bulgaria received some Bf-109, that were originally destined for North Europe/Scandinavian theatre,
-or the maintenance and overhaul factory, set up by the German near Bucuresti, that took over repairs of Bulgarian Bf-109, used whatever parts they had at hand, not taking theatre collor paint into account(the Bucuresti factory was also responsible for the Eastern front).

Mix of both is also possible- Allied bombing campaign on Ploesti forced the Germans to scrammble whatever assets they could find and the main volume of Bf-109’s were delivered to Bulgaria especially to counter that threat(Allied bomber routes from both Foggia and Alexandria to Ploesti/Pitesti crossed Bulgaria).
I assume “Getting The Job Done” prevailed over theatre collors and markings.

HTH,
Cheers,
Angel

3 Likes

Thanks for the info on the 109s. That’s what I thought as well.

Tha Prahas will get a heavily weathered paint job. That will be a nice challenge. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

So, with slightly more than 2 weeks remaining till Bulgarian WWII Campaign kick-off day I have finally chosen my Campaign build:
t_m-222_127

Called Horch M.222 in Bulgarian service, the Sd.Kfz.222 equiped the Recce Platoon of the Armored Brigade.

I will use the ex-Tristar/nowadays HobbyBoss kit 80149, that comes with decals for the Bulgarian version.

Cheers,
Angel

4 Likes

I haven’t looked but do you have any information on Bulgarian AHN? The Tamiya/ICM kit fell into my lap.

2 Likes

I have some pictures, Ryan- the AHN was the most numerous truck in Royal Bulgarian Army during WWII.

I can send you what I have next Sunday,

Cheers,
Angel

4 Likes

I have received my decals, so I am ready to start building. :slightly_smiling_face:

At least once I clear the other builds of my workbench :wink:

4 Likes

Eager to see your build(s), Jesper!

We are all-I guess- in the situation when we must clear some other builds from our workbenches prior to start building our Bulgarian WWII Campaign subject :wink:

Cheers,
Angel

3 Likes

Now isn’t that the truth… I have 4 in various stages of paint I just have to finish (I procrastinate too much on painting) and 2 nearing the end of build… I promised myself I would finish all these before I start another and am trying hard to stick with it (if not? Well it will not be the first time I broke my own promise!)

2 Likes

Not trying to beat your modelling “misery”, Peter, but I have:

• 3 models to finish painting/weathering in preparation for Manta Models Show 2021(Sep.25-Sep.27th) participation- one of them is the BLG-60M2 AVLB,
  • the Windwagen that is currently occupying my workbench.Should I put it aside now, it will join my other oblivion builds on my Shelf of Shame.

I hope I’ll be able to jump in October with my Horch M.222 and need to finish it till the end of said month.

Because on the 4th of November I’ll start a build in memory of Speedy J.

Cheers,
Angel

2 Likes