Campaign - Operation Snow White - Active

Having built 3 panzer 1 chassis vehicles with Magic Tracks. I hear you, but I have three other words too - “DS are worse!”

The itty bitty Magic tracks are a bit of a trial to keep inline but the bigger ones are more manageable.

Okay, my start pic.

I was going to do this Irish vehicle, a part of the UNIFIL mission, as Echelon do decals for it, but the rear end in the pic seems to be very different to the kit one. This vehicle seems to almost be a hybrid of the AML 90 and Eland with a flat rear and horizontal deck, as opposed to the recessed sloped rear normally seen on AML 90’s and depicted in the Takom kit. Obviously these vehicles were upgraded over time.and they have been part of UNIFIL for the 23 years the mission has been in operation… and I do not have any references for that to scratch build the rear.

So I am going to do a more generic version based on this pic:

Photos of these vehicles used by the Irish in Lebanon are rare, but this seems old enough to be a ‘pre-modification’ version. That is my story anyway, and I am sticking to it. I have some UN decals from a AFV Club Scimitar in the stash, which will do although they are a little different, so I can save some money and not get the Echelon ones.

Cest La vie.

1 Like

Looking forward to it Peter! Sadly I have to many WIPs to start my AML-90.
( Four different Shermans, a Pz.iii, USS Cobia and the list goes on…)

Starting a kit is not a problem… finishing them is… :rofl:

1 Like

Well I have to say, this Takom kit is pretty much a dream to build. I am not used to so few parts and such great fit. This is a real ‘shake and bake’ kit. Not too much time and already the hull is done (well I am not using the vinyl tyres so the multi part wheels didn’t need doing.

Unfortunately, Takom gives you a fender basket with a tarp in it and not an empty one. Had to get the Dremel out and take it back to just the web frame and scratch extra bits. Too lazy to do the whole thing from scratch. Also had to make the ring for the spare wheel mount. In all the pics of the UN ones, the spares were removed.

5 Likes

Thats gone together really well. Looks nice. Its not a kit I would ever get so it is nice to see builds like this and how they go together :+1:

1 Like

Yeah, Peter, I like Takom kits too. I’ve built the M9 ACE kit and thought it was fantastic!

:beer: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

@Johnnych01 I bought the kit originally intending to do an Argentine one on the Falklands - with a few squaddies walking past it like in the well known pics. It was to be a counterpoint to a Falklands Scorpion. But when I saw the UN pics I thought this was an interesting option (an Argentine one needs mods!).

Spent some time on the turret last night, that is nearly done too.

1 Like

Nice work. I have built one Takom kit - the Iranian Chieftain - and it was a great kit! I’d like to do another. I have a few other Takom kits on my wish list also.

(I also built a Das Werk Panther, which is, I think, a Takom kit. I had a little trouble fitting the hull together but I think that was me rather than the kit.)

Paint down, decals on…

4 Likes

Thats looking very nice Peter. The white gives it a real stand out appearance :+1:

1 Like

Ditto what John said!

Nice work on the paint job, Peter! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I always upon always have issues with a total white finish…

Let’s see if I can pull it off with some subtle weathering… will be my first ever all white finish. That is what I challenged myself.

2 Likes

I just found this campaign, I have never done one before. My question is, would this model qualify: King Tiger Anneliese - Armor/AFV | Armorama / WWII Axis - KitMaker Network? I started it in Dec 2020. It is a repair/total rebuild of a model my dad did way back when.
Ken.

OK, just be sure to stick with the theme, the predominant color should be white. :star_struck:

Hi all! this is my first time doing a campaign, so I will try not to screw it up. I started working on this in December, and I just about have it finished, record time for me. It is the old Bandai 1/48 scale kit of a King Tiger with Porsche turret. I am building it as “Anneliese”. Here are a couple of in progress photos.

I am using Friul metal tracks, an aluminum barrel from RB, and zimmerit from Monroe Purdue. Paints are mostly Tamiya. For a full description of the build, see the link posted above.
Ken.

1 Like

Finished!

This is my first try at a winter whitewash scheme, I think it came out OK.
Ken.

7 Likes

Long time away. Still plodding along with my Kharkov panzer iv. Might just get it finished by the end of June! :joy:

3 Likes