CEC YT-1300 Millennium Falcon by Bandai

Lol… Yeah … Got through New Hope and most of Empire Strikes Back …:+1:

4 Likes

Very good Johnny.
It’s nice that my falcon lets you think about the movies again. I recently got all of them again watched.
I think Empire Strikes Back is the best movie of the whole series.

2 Likes

this build is coming along nicely and you’re doing a fantastic job and i can’t wait to see the finished kit.

3 Likes

Thanks, and me too. :smile:

3 Likes

Looking great! :+1:

1 Like

Being a newbie, has taken me a while to find this thread but now I have I’ve really enjoyed your progress. I built the Finemolds 1/72 Falcon some years back and will be very interested in how the two compare when finished. Not that I’m as skilled and methodical as yourself, mine was more along the lines of artistic trial and error, but I think it came out okay. Your Death Star tunnel stand, now that is inspired. I stuck with the stand that came with the Finemolds kit, but on a turntable so I can rotate it, though of course not when the lights are plugged in :slight_smile: I’m sure there are lots of ways you can make the Death Star surface but have you thought about using a combination of scanning and 3D printing the 1/72 Death Star stand bases that come with the smaller 1/72 Bandai kits or some versions of the old TIE Fighter kit base by AMT/ERTL? I’m sure there are better ways, just my half-baked notion. Thanks again for leading us down the path towards a splendid looking model of a modern classic.

2 Likes

Thanks for the nice compliment, old-fool.
I would also find it very interesting to compare the two models. Not even to compare our model building skills but to see where the detail differences of the two companies are.
I’m also looking forward to my Death Star Tunnel stand. Because I’ve never done anything like this before.
I won’t be using those Death Star bases, although I’ve thought about it. But find them too static. Especially when you combine them with each other, it just looks very fragmented.
I will work with styrene plates and 3d prints. Let’s see where this takes me.

But let’s continue with the model.
After a lot of back and forth, I decided to go back to the original component and not to use the Greenstrawberry set.
The decals from them are simple stickers and I didn’t like that at all.
Bandai’s decals are excellent.
But all the fine details had to be filed away from the surfaces to allow the decals to lay properly. Even with Micro Sol it doesn’t work properly otherwise.

I could use some of the accessory kit after all. The etched parts cover the holes in the seats for the original figures.

Falcon 3D figures are great. Far livelier poses than Bandai’s rigid sitting ones. Unfortunately, Chewi is missing the cartridge belt, but otherwise great.

What is of no use at all from the original kit are the LEDs. They’re way too weak. Disappointing for a 400 euro kit. Especially since there are very bright lights for a mere 8 cents apiece.
To be on the safe side, an additional pair were installed behind the cockpit. Then drilled holes in the blackened transparent part and lo and behold…

Let there be light. :bulb:

11 Likes

another excellent update :+1:

2 Likes

He had just got out the shower :grin:

3 Likes

Imagine the blow dryer he must have!

3 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: :+1:

2 Likes

You’re most welcome. For the Death Star base ideally you’d want something that is blurred since the Falcon would be somewhat distant from it and moving passed it at speed. To me that is going to involve as much artistry as it is outright model making Just a thought, but are you dead set on all the sides being Death-Star-esque? I’m just wondering if one panel could be star-scape to give you a contrast with the light coloured hull/ Apologies if this is interfering but I think you’ll find we are all rather going through your build vicariously. To show you what I am meaning with how the star scape panel might look, here’s a table top I painted and instead of blues substitute black and so on;

The Falcon cockpit looks amazing, I’m wondering if you’ll find the option of leaving out the clear plastic from the cockpit framework will work best when it comes to seeing what you’ve done, especially the lights.

2 Likes

Hello old fool.
Yes, I think I’m working with Death Star panels on all sides. The falcon is supposed to fly through a closed tunnel where no space can be seen.
I also have to disappoint you with the cockpit windows. I use the clear part. It is important to me to see the light reflections that the glass throws. They didn’t use any glass in the film, otherwise you wouldn’t have seen the actors properly.
And that’s what it’s all about…

This was the first time that a part didn’t sit perfectly. A huge gap had to be bridged with Mr. surfacer.

After all, what are we model builders for, close the gap. I only had to score a new board seam with a mini chisel afterwards.

I like it that way very much.

Then again panels painted in different shades.

And a lightweight Panel Lightning. Individual records immediately get more depth.

Finally the panel lining and the decals.

And one step further.

17 Likes

Great work on the cockpit… Looks terrific… And the panel painting is spot on :+1:

2 Likes

Many Thanks Johnny.
The cockpit is now also on the fuselage.

So aging is complete.

You had to use a lot of force to snap the component into place. With all the color, however no wonder.

Control the light

And found good.

If an LED is defective, I no longer have the opportunity to change it anyway.

I wish you all a Happy Easter.

14 Likes

Now it’s the Falcon … Great job and the lights looks fantastic in the cockpit
… I also love finding other bits from kits they put on these to make them… The Panther hull MG mount …so cool :+1:

2 Likes

Unsurprisingly the force was again with you, young Padawan! Great cockpit mate :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :+1:

3 Likes

Did you see the Tamiya Panther mantlet as well as the Kugelblende?

And the push on poly caps for the road wheels:

6 Likes

Brilliant lol

2 Likes

Between the 2 red circles looks like half a gearbox/transmission case

2 Likes