Challenger 1 CTT

Arm rest made and on.

Going to bite the bullet and cut the cross member on part 4 … Then dry fit 1, 3 and 4 and prime them like that … More to follow :+1:

2 Likes

For the roof, I’d fill a mug with boiled water, dunk the roof in (with tweezers!) for about 10 seconds, then press it on a flat surface (kitchen worktop - don’t tell the missus!) til it cools, then set the new flattened shape with a dunk in cold water. It can take several goes…

2 Likes

Cheers Tom … Will try that …never done any resin fixing before so hopefully I don’t arse it up :+1:

1 Like

For the cab upper, you can dunk each side in hot water and press it flat before moving to the next side. Just dunk it enough for the one side to slip below the waves, not the whole thing! Good luck!

2 Likes

'Just carried out similar - earlier today - on my AA warped Champ roof; bit of a confidence moment I must admit, but it appears to have worked.

3 Likes

I have yet to jump down that rabbit hole lol… Glad yours turned out ok…

I have been busy with the cab though on the CTT.

Primed it all for starters, then masked up the bottom, middle and upper sections and sprayed the insides white.
Then had a look at some of the reference images I got from a bloke at the tank museum…
It looks the inside does have a bit more than all over white inside which is good … I only went in one once so didn’t remember to much about it to be honest.
All the seats are black for one thing, the pull down seat has a white frame, but the cushion is black the inside of the doors and roof hatches are green, then there’s the obvious colour on the instructors safety lever in red on the grip handle, the Inst console face is black, and the extinguisher (found my last accurate armour ones) are green with the blue safety labels. The instructor chair lifting frame is silver… And I have started to detail paint those.

Crew cab interior … White with a very thinned down black wash… Floor plate will get extra weathering

Middle section looking forward to console

Seats and seat frames

Upper hatch return springs… and miracle of miracles… I found the broken corner piece of the right rest guard rail, so will repair that tomorrow.

Will do a bit more tomorrow and also get back on the HEMTT as well…

7 Likes

Well the HEMTT gun truck took over lol…along with the F111 Raven and the Apache … But I am back at it … Didn’t realise it had been so long …

Joined the lower seating section (3) to the main body (1).
There were some gaps around the join and it (3) was a bit warped anyway so the main body needed trimming and sanding in a few areas to even fit.

You can see the obvious join lines. I have already partially filled them with superglue gel and will gradually fill and sand until they are how I want them.

Another shot looking forward onto the Instructors console

Have also started the process of easing the big warp on the roof section… Will test fit later and then go again if needed.

Good to be back on tanks :grinning:

3 Likes

Good work sorting that warp! Looks like I need more lead-based paints… :grin:

2 Likes

Good to see this back on the bench. Stop playing about with wingy thingys and do some real modeling!

5 Likes

Lol…tell me about it…they sort of took over … Back to tracks now :+1::+1:

3 Likes

Very happy with the salvage of the roof warping…

I reckon about 95% of it has gone now and I think the very small bit left will disappear when the roof is manipulated onto the upper section and secured…

Time to go buy a tub of grapes for the windows now …

3 Likes

Hi Johnny,

Would a PDF template for the windows help? I’ve attached it here just in case you need something to do while fermenting those grapes into wine…

Window template v3.pdf (169.0 KB)

2 Likes

Lol… cheers Tom… The templates are on the destruction sheet with the kit … but very good of you to send that through mate :+1::+1:

3 Likes

Nice to see you back at it. :+1:

Olivier

3 Likes

I was having track withdrawal lol…

3 Likes

Clansman crew boxes painted… You can hardly see them when it’s altogether, but I thought it worth the small amount of effort.

Starting to put some of the inner fittings in now. Commander/Instructors seat will need to wait until closer to end and roof going on.

Using the newer type of fire extinguisher, plus the kit ones are a bit under scale anyway. I will be doing the 2 that can be seen on some images that are on the angled front of the crew cab. Will be building the mounting boxes later … This extinguisher will be an internal one, hence the white bracket

Chopped out the cross member/ roof support that I talked about doing in earlier posts. Problem was because the left side of the upper crew cab (part with windows in) is so warped, And when it’s fitted, the cross member had a big warp as well, in 2 directions… Up and forwards, so it had to come out, get resized, and again that can’t go back in until nearer the end of the cab build. There is actually more warping than I thought …

While I was rechecking the parts, I found an outer door handle was missing… easy to scratch and already found a bit from spares that is a close match. There is also an internal grab handle for the inner roof that isn’t supplied, but that’s an easy fix from loads I have in the spares box. Luckily the images I got from the guy at Bovi tank museum are a big help with some internal layouts and colour. Although some of the images are black and white, you can easily work out what the colours are … Next pain will be the windows … which I’m still a bit miffed about … But hey ho…

I will be assembling as much of the cab as possible and painting the bulk of it, then fitting the windows…

Going to paint the hull German grey XF65 for a more faded NATO green look … then use actual Tamiya NATO green for the cab so it has a newer look to it …

7 Likes

Brother, that’s some in-depth piece of work. The people looking at it on your shelf will have jaws dropped.

3 Likes

Thanks HG for the kind support… It’s getting there slowly :+1::+1:

3 Likes

Great detail work there John!

2 Likes

Thanks again Terry… A few more bits to add to it… With half the main cab dry fitted…

Newer type BCF fitted, and the fold up 3rd crew seat on LH side.

And the upper window section dry fitted… Won’t be able to see a massive amount … But … You will glimpse bits and pieces

While looking through the various ref images I have I noticed the hydraulic reservoir on the right side wall behind the instructors seat is wrong

This is the kit part with the cocktail stick under it.

And this is what it should like…
From online for discussion only.

So I cut some clear sprue stubs,

And will try and fashion something from one of those …

And my effort after 5 minutes…

Also added a hydraulic line at the bottom

Will add a thin line of mig track rust about half way down the sprue stub as it’s fairly light and that will represent the oil in the reservoir…

7 Likes