Challenger 1 CTT

What the hell am I looking at? Really, your superdetailing is exquisite! Rock on, John!

3 Likes

Thanks kindly Matt…it is a bit crazy … And this was seriously just going to be OOB build … I still blame Russ @rfbaer lol

2 Likes

It’s not my fault, it’s not my fault… harde har har. It’s fun, admit it. :rofl:

2 Likes

Don’t you just know it lol

4 Likes

Very nice detailing! I really like what I see.

2 Likes

Very kind of you to say that Erik, and thanks for dropping to have a look at it :+1:

2 Likes

Been lurking around in the shadows since I had both Leopard 1 and 2 training tanks in my unit back in the day :wink:
They look very similar.

2 Likes

Blimey, didn’t realise it had been 19 days …that was time spent on the Tomcat and HEMTT gun truck… Well I’m back on it now.

I started on the cables for the headlights and sidelights…
Initially I overthought it massively… For the horn side, I had cut 4 various lengths of thin florists wire, then twisted those and then partially wrapped those in 1mm Tamiya masking tape. After 2 different attempts, it just proved to be a biblical nightmare, so I binned that idea…

Looked at more references and decided on a single piece of slightly thicker florist green wire then add individual small cut lengths from the main wire to the indicator on top of the side light, the horn, and headlight… Small blobs of super glue would act as the joins into the main cable. Also added a tie down on both sides as well.

Was a bit more time consuming as the green wire is a lot more rigid than the thinner silver one I use.

Just a last close up of the hole which is on the inner corner of each mudguard where the cables go down into the hull internal wiring loom.

Will get a bit more PE work done tomorrow… And I have begun cleaning the flash from the resin CTT cab parts … there’s lots of it … More soon… :+1:

8 Likes

As it is said, the devil hides in the details. :wink:
Nice job Johnny.

Olivier

3 Likes

Many thanks Olivier… I like to try and add bits that give a kit a more authentic look once it’s finished… hopefully can get the hull finished soon.

2 Likes

For some reason I’ve overlooked most of this - nice work John!

3 Likes

Better late to the show than miss it altogether… :+1:…oh yeah, you still heading to Yeovil on the 2nd ? I aim on getting there about midday …

2 Likes

Yup - we’re booked in, as usual as Stonehenge Modellers; I’m going all out to try and finish the Conqueror for that, not least as my build rate’s been abysmal; in my defence dear old Dad’s demise has taken my eye off the (modelling) ball a bit, as there was quite a bit of admin what with selling his house, funeral etc. Only staff work really so wasn’t a technically difficult just time. I really haven’t that much new to show, so expect my table to display some old and bold, and possibly a work in progress re my Corps HQ in 1:300.

Anyway, see you there!

Forgot to mention, my mate Pete Smith has produced a really good CVR(T).

4 Likes

Look forward to seeing it all :+1:

3 Likes

Looking splendid John and you’re only now getting to the CTT parts, HA! Detailer’s dilemma!

2 Likes

I only started the resin clean up in case I forget about it altogether and began looking for a non existent turret to build lol

2 Likes

This is a really great thread. I’ve been following for a while. I often see these beasts when I’m doing my volunteer shifts at the Tank Museum. You are doing a fine job with this conversion.

I’m hoping to be at the Yeovil show also on the 2nd. Usually a great show.

2 Likes

Thanks for following along Terry. And well done for volunteering at the Tank Museum… An excellent place of so much history and hard work by the the maint teams and by the volunteers like you.
Over my career I spent over 2 years at Bovi or Lulworth on courses…so the museum was my normal hang out at weekends if I didn’t come home or was there while I was in Germany…
Be good to say hello at Yeovil if we cross paths, I will be in a blue baseball cap with OceanGuardsman on the front and Household Div blue red blue flash on the rear :+1:

2 Likes

I started my volunteer work last year, having retired down here a few years ago (very close to Bovington and Lulworth), and I love it. Before joining the museum, I regularly spent time there as a visitor. My wife calls it my happy place! First went there with my Dad whilst holidaying down here in the late 50’s and early 60’s. I will certainly seek you out at Yeovil. I’m usually hanging out with Poole Vikings (IPMS Dorset).

2 Likes

Won’t work on the tracks I’m afraid CR1 tracks are wider than Chieftain!

1 Like