Challenger 1 CTT

Just saw on the Scorpion Miniature Models site that they are doing side skirt supports for Chief Mk1 to 3’s. Will be interesting to see how long it is before they do the later marks, as it woould be good to do my Takom Mk 11 with a skirt or 2 missing. Or even a Cr1 version as I want to do my 42 ride with a few skirts missing showing the tracks sagging behind the skirts. I had been toying with the idea of scratch building a few outriggers so will hold off on that now …

2 Likes

Fruiels work well here they are on my build
Imgur
Some really nice work going into this :+1:

4 Likes

Looks like it will be Fruils for me then… For my 42 ride I intend to go fully down the rabbit hole … :+1:

2 Likes

Few more odds and sods done.

Did the bolt detailing on the exhausts.

And I know I just got the MENG bolts set but I like doing it this way for these few heads :grin:.

Also did the PE for track tools on the front and the splash plate and the mudguard supports and mud flap retainer strips.

And also started on the wheels, idlers and sprockets. For the wheels I am going to do a couple of the outer ones in desert yellow for a bit of variety in the overall NATO green.

There’s a few more bits I need to scratch for the front of the hull and finish the engine deck mesh, and I need to scratch the boxes for the new type of Extinguisher for front of the crew cab.

9 Likes

Looking at those exhaust now … will need to add a backing plate on the inside painted black to block out the inner bits you can see.

2 Likes

Wheels are done.

Bit of work on the hull next

4 Likes

Got to scratch the mounting points under the tow bollards.

Using some basic white u channel, white strip in various widths…
Started…

Looks a bit rough, but once it’s trimmed and sanded and shaped it should have the look :+1:

5 Likes

Apart from Fruil’s, are there any other makers of Cr1 indi link tracks out there ? I am having issues finding anything in the UK at the moment ??

1 Like

Just checked the Fruil website mate and the cost was about £38 all in that’s about the cost here beforeP&P! Worth a look?

Mmm might be more added at the checkout stage😳

2 Likes

MasterClub set no MTL35220

You can also search for this "R-Model 1/35 35120 " usually found on evil bay

6 Likes

Thank you very much Ivan @Jacko464 and Nikos @gtdeath13 … Will look into all those options :+1::+1:

1 Like

The armour mounts are getting there …

It’s still one long strip …

Still needs a bit of tidying up… But happy with progress so far

6 Likes

That’s both mounts done now.

Couple more bits to do and the main part can get started … The crew cab :+1:

3 Likes

Started on the dozer blanking plate.

Some hollow rod, then a smaller piece of styrene cut into a rough circle, glued onto the thinly sliced section of hollow rod and gently sanded till it was round and smooth …
During …

The front face…

And fitted with the 6 micro holes drilled into it…

The engine screens and the 2 handles are on now.

Built up on top of what were the reflectors on a gun tank with Super glue, as on the CTT they are indicators… the reflectors get repositioned on top of the rear light mount.

As I took that image, I realised the rear curved part of the rail guard had broken off somewhere and is now lost forever…

So had to replace that with coated florist wire. … still needs one support underneath it adding.

That’s it for tonight exploits :+1:

8 Likes

Looks-good GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

2 Likes

Thanks Nikos :+1:

1 Like

You won’t be getting Master Club sets anytime soon.

They’re advertised for sale on a number of UK websites but invariably you’ll see that they’re ‘Out of Stock’.

Reason? They’re made in Russia and trade embargos have (rightly) cut them off (and that goes for most of Europe too).

Friuls are your best option, despite the cost. Its worth it.

1 Like

Yeah I had looked into all the options highlighted … The R-Model ones look nice but are from China but more expensive though The Fruils are looking as the best option, and they are not bad priced considering they are coming from the Euro zone… still cant find any in the UK.

2 Likes

No, I always get mine direct from Friul, its a straight forward process and if you’re organised, can allow for the 10 - 16 day lead time on delivery. Stock isn’t usually an issue and they are very good at getting them to you.

3 Likes

Friul has stopped selling items to traders, you can only buy direct from them for some time now.

3 Likes