Challenger 1 mk3 Desert Storm

A mystery… Perhaps just used during Op DS and found locally prior to the push off ?

1 Like

@Johnnych01

I’m waiting for the 1/35th scale folded cots and the decals to arrive. Then I’m done with the model.

2 Likes

I finally broke down and got a Challenger kit; the old Tamiya Chally 1. Got it for under $40.

5 Likes

Are you detail painting or doing any washes ?

1 Like

Funny how things change … a few years ago, those initial tamiya kits were like hens teeth trying to find one … now it seems they are popping up a lot more regular …

2 Likes

Yeah; my local shop bought a storage unit’s worth of vintage kits. A lot of old stuff, not only armor, but also a lot of Fujimi and Hasegawa airplane kits and some really old 1/700 waterline kits.

A lot of old Dragon, Tamiya, Testors/Italeri and Esci kits in there. I tend to just go into the vintage stash before I go into the newer kit selection.

2 Likes

Before I flat coat I’m going to paint the GPMG, and do some weathering on the tracks and stowage

Then add the decals.

Flat coat then paint the periscopes and lights.

I’ve never done washes, I wouldn’t mind learning how to do one. I wouldn’t know what would look good as a wash on the Chally.

1 Like

The AK OIF & OEF wash is very good… I use it lots… And the AK dust washes would be good.
YouTube will be a good place to look at how to do washes… Loads of good tutorials on there.
Don’t forget the exhausts… A very dark rusty brown & blackish soot colour…
Lights, there is no real detail for the clear front side side, the rear only has the red tail lights.
Cr1 periscopes are non reflective so Tamiya smoke would be fine or something similar :+1:

1 Like

I like that OIF wash as well. It is good for lots of places not just ME, that color blend is spot on.

1 Like

I misted the camo netting with the tan and misted the turret lid tops also.

I have 3 cots coming tomorrow for the stowage and that’s it for stowage.

Then decals.

The lights and periscopes I was going to wait til after the dullcote

8 Likes

Looking good. The misting on the cam net and the basket covers has worked well and toned them right down. The Mudflaps look nice as well with the black areas showing through the tan.

I would really invest in a the AK wash and watch a few tutorials on how to apply them, it is pretty straight forward and a lot of it is just down to a gentle application and capillary action does most of the work for you. The recessed or raised lines like on the turret roof and skirt side armour will really show up great as will raised areas like the engine decks and such like.

I would also invest in some thin .2 or .3 plastic rod to use as antennas. I know you know those are a bit thick as they are stretched sprue, and again, with more practice that method works as well, but I find that size plastic rod or indeed thin florist wire will give you more uniform results for antennas.

The yellow hi Vis ID panel has turned out very nicely. You can also just paint normal plain tissue for a decent result. I only use the PVA method as it gives the tissue more durability.

Its looking really good with where you are now AJ, but it will need a bit of dirtying up (hopefully with a wash) … Cr1’s were dirty tanks lol … they couldnt help but attract it !!

2 Likes

Guitar string No10/11 works for me on the antenna front😄

3 Likes

also for me. And, it is quite flexible and will always return to its shape, does not break when accidently touched.

2 Likes

Can you get that online ? I have never tried it …

1 Like

Added the cots to the tank, which is last stowage I’m going to add.

Looking at the pictures of the thermal sleeve the tan paint appears worn off of the strapping so I painted it green.

7 Likes

The Challenger is a good looking tank, both the prototype and the model. I would enjoy adding one to my own stable.

1 Like

Got mine from a music shop but I’m getting a bit low​:roll_eyes::smile:

2 Likes

Ok, that has potential … One thing I notice though. The Guitar wire has what looks like a natural curve to it ? Now on some antenna you could get away with it, but for UK modern they are upright, so is there any curvature present when its cut to its 1/35 - 2m scale equivalent ? about 5.8cm ?

2 Likes

No curve when it’s new that bit is god knows how old :+1:

2 Likes

OK cheers Ivan, good to know. it was size 10/11 yeah ?

1 Like