Challenger 1 mk3 Desert Storm

Yes mate👍

2 Likes

Cheers mate, Will try and get hold of some or order some over the weekend :+1:

1 Like

You could try piano wire, comes in various thicknesses.
Only downside is its ability to puncture eyeballs if they get too close
(that means your AFV is Armed & Dangerous - keeping it real)

Mal

4 Likes

Yup. I use “piano wire”, sold at better hardware stores and Amazon. It’s cheap, available in .015", .018" and .020". It’s also what I use for Friuls instead of the soft wire that comes with them.
I found some .020" carbon fiber wire one time and it’s great, comes black and easy to cut but it can break. All I had to do was seal the cut end with a tiny bit of cryo glue so it didn’t fray. I just ordered some more, Amazon to the rescue.

2 Likes

Decals arrived and are in place. Hopefully Star will update the set with the information I provided soon.

So, this below is me being picky:

The pictures I have never show the inverted “V” on the sides of the tanks. Except in ONE photo when tank #42 caught up to them the next day after breaking down going through the berm.

The pictures taken after don’t show evidence of the V stripe being on there.

Tank #41 has the board with the inverted V, but no pictures of #40 showing the board, but I put it on anyway.

I did add a small white inverted V on the side of the turret as it appears in a picture I have. It’s not pictured here.

9 Likes

Looks good AJ. Dont worry to much about the picky things you mentioned. Without a photo to reference it, it cant be proved either way. There are a fair few images with CR1s without the chevrons so I wouldnt worry to much. Nice work and it looks the part :+1:

3 Likes
3 Likes

I didn’t see those but I spent a fair chunk of money on his stuff for this tank!

2 Likes

Added the wash.

Anxiously awaiting the Union Jack to finish this up

12 Likes

Looking very nice AJ. Wash is nice and subtle but shows off some nice detail. Another great Cr1 build in the forum !! Well done.

2 Likes

@Johnnych01 I couldn’t have done it without your advice!

2 Likes

You did the build and a lot of research to to get it looking like that. I just helped with a few little pointers…

3 Likes

Flag is added and all finished.

Glamour shots attached.

13 Likes

Nicely done. Another one to add to the Regimental collection … :+1::+1:

1 Like

Nice work and an inspiration. I’ve been following quietly in the background as I’m a Chally 1 fan but no expert so had nothing to add especially as you had Johnny onboard.
However inspired by your build I went and purchased the Tamiya kit but now to find a photo of one to build and get some SMM bits.

Oh some photos of a very sad looking Chally 1 I took last weekend at the Aldershot Military museum.

4 Likes

Are you close to there then Luciano ? I must of passed that place a hundred times but never been in it.
It is a bit of a state…lm sure if they contacted a friendly QM dept in one of the local units or an Armoured unit at Tidworth they would throw a few cans of NATO black and green in their direction. And I do find it a bit annoying they just bung a normal red domestic building fire extinguisher on the side of the rear bin … Thermal sleeve would be the tricky part but I would bet money they still have old stock laying around someplace …

2 Likes

No, I was on a round robin, Salisbury model show in the morning, Aldershot MM in the afternoon then Royal Armouries Fort Nelson on the Sunday followed by the 2 1/2 hour drive home.

Some more from the museum

And Fort Nelson - Walking with Giants - The Falklands memorial

Chally 2 from the model show

5 Likes

A good ‘Tank chat’ on the Chally 1

1 Like

I have also been watching this thread and enjoyed watching your Challenger come together. The final product looks great.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your pictures.

Do you know what this vehicle is called? Upon seeing the picture, I immediately wanted to build one. It looks like an amphibious moon buggy.

3 Likes