Cleveland Tractor Company (Cletrac) M2 High-speed Service Tractor

Cleaning up sprues and supports are part of the model building game …

I’ll be very honest with you. We talked about it last year when I wanted an alternative to the Monogram one. I’m sure your programming skills are first rate, but the quality of the 3D printed parts was not at a level that I would even pay a $10.00 for. Based upon photos from then, it would still take a lot of work. And yes I know that better printers might yield better results, but I’ve purchased quite a few other 3D printed kits since, and they don’t suffer the same problems. I’m happy to pay good money if I’m getting something I don’t have to fool with much. Or try to print myself.
I’d be thrilled if your version has gotten better since then.
For anyone not wanting to wait, and can manage to find one of the Monogram ones in the B-24 kits (there were several of the correct variant the came with the Cletrac at the IPMS USA Nationals a few weeks ago) there is a semi build log showing how to upgrade it in the following thread. It doesn’t require much skill at all, just a little patience.
Fred Boucher (JPTRR) just recenlty sent me this one:

That is entirely your choice. I did not prepare the model for general distribution for several reasons, although its fidelity wasn’t one of them. My SketchUp skills continue to evolve and if I were to design it today, I’m sure it would have been more elegant, but I’m not going to do that. I have two major commission jobs that are on the top of the list, plus I have some plastic kits that I’m itching to build. When I designed the tractor it was as a favor for my local hobby shop owner. We talked about commercializing it, but I couldn’t see how the volume would generate any appreciable income comensurate with the effort.

I dont think $80-90-100$ is out of line for the cleaned up print but the remarks regarding print quality raised above do concern me.
The small parts I have gotten from Shapeways all show a lot of stair stepping but the items I gotten recently from MS Productions (MikeyBugs) have been amazing and I know he just recently upgraded his printer.

Layering generally isn’t a problem in my work since I regularly print at 40 microns. My propblem with the Cletrac was printing an acceptable brush guard for the headlights. Also there are fragile details around the bar guards at the air compressor in the rear. I’ve learned a lot since I did the drawings and printing for this model. I may try and clean it up a bit. Not now though…I’ve got a ton of work.

2 Likes