Commercial Trucking 2021 (Jan-Dec)

Looking great D. Nice tip on the TWPs.

I’m going to have to bag out of this and all campaigns/model building for the foreseeable future.

The flooding is continuing in the basement, we are at 14 of 17 days of rain. The drywall in the workshop area is soaked and soft to the touch about 18 inches up from the floor (never had more than an inch or so of water on the floor). The floor tiles that the previous owner put down have started pulling up while vacuuming and I’m wondering how long it will be before the mold begins.

In short, the entire room has to be ripped down.

This is the first time since we’ve been here that we’ve had any issues with water infiltration. I have a company coming to quote on a perimeter drain system which will entail ripping up the concrete around the inside edge of the foundation and installing perforated pipe and a sump pump.

Dave, I’m really sorry to hear that news mate, I hope things don’t get any worse and you can get the room back to operational status quickly and easily!

Stay safe and stay in touch when you get a chance and let us know how you are going.

Cheers, D

Thanks D. I’ll be living vicariously through you guys.

@AussieReg those Tamiya make up kits are worth having around. However, it’s a first for me seeing them being used as a tire weathering tool. Great job!

1 Like

Thanks for checking in Mike!

Well I think I have the seamline on the roof sorted.

I have also settled on a colour combination for the interior of the cabin.

Cheers, D

3 Likes

Finished the weathering on the bogie assembly for the Reefer. I refined the application a bit as well. I used the foam pad on the applicator to apply an overall Grey tone to the rubber, then the brush end to lightly dust the whole thing with Yellow and then Orange Rust.

Cheers, D

4 Likes

I think those tires look great.

1 Like

Thanks Ryan, I’m pretty happy with the way they have come up as well. I might do a test shot on the spare with a muddy acrylic wash to see if I can build up some dirt in the raised details.

Some more decal work today, the “Do Not Overtake” set is from Auslowe, the “26” on the front and rear are spares from a 1/48 P-47 set, and the other small signs are spares from various builds.

I will let the decals set up overnight, then I can seal them in with Aqua Gloss tomorrow. Getting close to the finish line with the Reefer Trailer, then I can focus a bit more on the Wester Star to drag it around!

Cheers, D

3 Likes

Look forward to seeing any test results. I have not gotten any Tamiya weathering products because for armor I had other items for that work but your results make me want to expand those other product uses or get the sets for this purpose. Lots of ways to make the same result. :+1:

1 Like

Hello everyone. I"ve been watching this build and I have recently got a kit that fits, and I think I’ll like to start the build. Here is what I got…

The White-Freightliner SD/DD kit. I also have the Big Rig Semi Trailer to do if I have enough time… :>

Hope no one minds my late start.

Delby

3 Likes

Great to have you on board Delby, I’m looking forward to following your builds here.

The Freightliner is a cool looking cab-over, have you decided on the cab style yet?

Cheers, D

It will be a Duel Drive with Sleeper of course… not sure of the color. I like the red, but I have a couple of others i might go with… It will not be a white CF. that looks boring to me…

Delby

Will be following along also as I have that kit to build in the future. I have seen a number of folks knocking the DD kit on YouTube this morning. Most of it being folks think of the kit being modern and not 50 yrs old kit with probably some new molding updates.

For example DD step 3, basic chassis part 9 rear springs in the middle of the spring at the top on the inside there is missing bar that goes across that you need to make yourself. I don’t know the length.

For the roof seam here another option to fix.

Hope that helps

1 Like

As recent addition to my truck stable and time remaining I think I will be switching my build to the AMT Mack R685st kit.

I found video has details to help make the build easier.

If y’all have any other tips on the kit or I general I am open to hearing them. I have backer rod for the tires. I am planning on drilling out the exhaust shield holes.

2 Likes

Now there’s an entire bench session in itself, but it will look great!

Looking forward to some more builds getting started here guys, I’m really enjoying working on my first full “Tractor/Trailer” build in what must be 40 years (last one was as a teenager with my Dad)!

Cheers, D

1 Like

@AussieReg Damian, quick thought…are you planing to seal your weathered looking tires? I would assume the pigments will rub off if touched again.

Construction pretty much completed on the 48’ Reefer Trailer. SMS Premium White, Stainless Steel and Insignia Red used. Decals from Auslowe and my spares stash. Last photo has 3 x 1/24 Corvettes for size reference.
Last couple of things to do are find some small clear discs for reversing lights (go beside the red tail lights), pinwash all over and some pigments for dust accumulation.

@Stryker45, I’m not sure! I’m worried that anything I use to seal them will alter the effect. Once it’s done, it will be going in a display cabinet and not touched, so I might leave it for a while and see how it lasts.

Some progress on the Western Star as well. Interior colour scheme chosen. Instrument panel decal in place.

Cheers, D

3 Likes

One column and two rows in……I should not have done this. This is madness. In the end it might be just a solid plastic sheet until another option is available.

Oh man that reefer looks good. Yeah, you might be right about elements changing if sealer is applied. I guess next best thing is leave it if it’s going to sit behind a glass cabinet.

Looks good!

1 Like

Not much bench time for the past week, but a little progress on the Western Star. The cabin parts are detailed and almost ready for assembly. I just need to fit the clear parts and mask the door windows from the inside (I’m cutting the clear parts and just fitting the quarter windows).

The Reefer is completed, but I will wait until the Western Star is completed and weather to pair together for a consistent finish.

Cheers, D

4 Likes