Convoy!

I have this kit waiting, and after seeing that great result from @AussieReg wondered if I should still do it in this campaign, but oh well, why not…

Won’t be as nice as his version, but lets see how far we can get…

4 Likes

Just like snowflakes, no two trucks are exactly alike! I’m sure your build will be more than worthy…

4 Likes

Ah, I’ve got one of these on the way now. :slight_smile: Looking forward to building it one of these days.

Mike

Wheels/Tires are on!

Bed is dry-fit at the moment. Playing with the B&W option.

Trailer and cargo temporarily hitched.

Mike

6 Likes

Looks good! I vote “colour” as the B/W version seems to lose the subtlety…

The B&W needs to have some kind of “background” to it to look “cool-ish.” I don’t have anything like that on the PC or printed (though I’ve seen several models photographed against a backdrop that really looked good). Something to look into.

Mike

1 Like

@bwilt go for it Bert! Thanks for the feedback. There are so many directions to go with these kits I’m really looking forward to following yours. I will pick up another one of these some day and build a restored civilian version, I really enjoyed the build.

Cheers, D

1 Like

Well, so far so good…

5 Likes

Following along @bwilt It’s looking good. I have mine on the way and looking for a PE set for it - one more for my wheeled vehicle menagerie!! LOL.

Mike

1 Like

Getting very close to being done with the build/paint portion of the build. Paint is pretty much just touch-up at this point, and I just need to add the mirror and headlight lense. The bed was attached after these two pictures were taken.

The launcher needs the legs straightened some and then a support block put under the center. Poor thing keeps slouching after several days.

Weathering? TBD. The trailer and cargo certainly are dirty, but I don’t think I’m going to dirty the truck up as much (you know, they had to run back and get more ammo and were given that dirty trailer). :wink:

Mike

10 Likes

Some progress,
The chassis not finished

Wheels are replaced: Good size should be 14.00 R20 XZL.

For replacement, I used wheels initially designed for the Rosomak kit from IBG Model which have the good size.

The size comparison between MMK (left one too little) and EUREKA XXL (right one)

New wheels updated to fit the Tatra truck, with 3 drilled ones for spare wheels.

In the Tatra 815 SOT, there are 4 rear seats.
MMK Model provides wrong seats. The model seeing in the picture below is a seat of a standard Tatra 815.

Interior picture of the truck to show the real rear seats

I tried to replicate them using Land Rover seats from Legend Productions as a base.

I’ve found it works well using my forearm. Get a little of the skin oil on it.

2 Likes

Finished building the watertruck, only a few bits not glued on yet, those will have to wait untill the painting starts next week when I’m home again

6 Likes

The build and paint part of this is done. LOL, had to move the mirror mount to its correct place - top hinge, not middle. Used some wire instead of the plastic piece.

Underside.

Mike

8 Likes

Got primer on, and started on painting the cabin interior and the driver…

5 Likes

Hello fellow model truckers, its been awhile since I posted any progress but I have been working away on my Liberty Truck with cargo, a 3-Ton Ford Tank/Tractor. When I last posted here the first paint job had been removed with acetone and some of the parts broke and others softened. They did firm up but added additional warpage to the problems already inherent in the Vargas 3D kit. I put some thought into binning the whole thing and starting with a fresh kit but decided to stay the course and see what could be made out of the mess.

A fresh coat of the sandy base color was sprayed on. Its not looking too bad . . .

The skids on the rear were already badly warped and while soft from the acetone were bendable. I didn’t get them straight but somewhat straighter than they had been. Also, they had broken into parts and would need reinforcement. Sheet plastic stock was cut and glued on. I started sanding the patches down to try to hide them but noticed that the plastic patches looked an awful lot like steel patches might have looked welded on. Sanding stopped and beads of CA glue were added to simulate welds.

With this the camo colors were brushed on and the black dividing lines were inked on and sealed.

The result was heartening enough to be worth carrying on.

Paul

2 Likes

With more work this is how it turned out:

Paul

6 Likes

This kit even had a pair of Model T Ford based motors. I have never seen any pictures showing how the ignition system looked and installing anything would have been pure guess work so I left it off.

I was working off of these two pictures:

This model paint is not exactly the same as the pictures but is based on the description in the Zalonga book. He states that US tanks of the period were often painted in standard French patterns. I choose a 3 color scheme over the 5 color one in the pictures just to make my modeling life a bit simpler.

Paul

4 Likes

The cargo was an experimental model that was really put though its paces. It is dirty, damaged and repaired. The truck by comparison is fresh off its railroad flat car delivery from the factory and would have been driven very little before being dispatched to pick up the weary little Ford to haul it off to yet another trial someplace.

Both these models are completed now and will be displayed together. One bit needs to be added. I’ll make some chalks for the treads and would like to tie the load down. When I was driving over-the -road trucks in the 1970s we would have chained the load down with chains & binders. How would they have done the job in in 1918?

Paul

11 Likes

Managed to do some paintwork on the watertruck… want to try something new (for me) on this one… red primer, then olive drab because of it being a WW2 veteran… but old so very worn…

And I will be adding a layer of IDF Sand color on top of this, also worn so the two underlying coats of paint will show through… probably add rust etc…
and I know the IDF didn’t use vehicles in that terrible state of maintenance, but I like it ! :grin:

5 Likes