Corvette Project Part 1 - C1 Series (1953-1962)

Thanks Richard! I will need a panorama camera before too much longer :thinking:

Cheers, D

1 Like

D,
Absolutely one impressive looking build. You really nailed it. and your display just blew me away. Looking forward to the '56 for sure.

joel

2 Likes

Thanks Joel, always appreciate the feedback of the crew here! Even though it fought me all the way, I’m still glad to have pushed through and got it to this point. Learned a lot about what is required for these conversions, checking and double checking for fit and space.

Completion #4 for 2022 after the DB5, 2-Mad and '51 Ragtop, my plan to reduce the WIP pile is going ok.

Cheers, D

1 Like

Your '55 came out great. I really like that color, and it’s a great addition to the garage.

Jim

2 Likes

The kit put up quite a struggle, but you won and show it, it could be build into a beautiful model.

Gorgeous line up.

2 Likes

D
Some mighty nice work on the 'Vette, surely an Oldie but Goldie. The photos of the Three Brothers together are classics in their own.
Peter

1 Like

Well I have been in a real slump for a few weeks now, work and life have kept me from the bench and killed my mojo. To top it off I tested positive for Covid a couple of days back and felt like I had been hit by a truck.
I’m still not 100% but definitely on the mend, so what better way to kick it along and make the most of a few days enforced isolation than to start on Part 4 of this series, the '56 !!
I will be using the Monogram '57 kit in 1/24 to try to keep as much consistency as I can, but for a couple of year marques I will have no choice but to go to 1/25 as they are the only kits available.

I will source a second identical kit to build the '57 instead of using the 1/25 AMT kit I have in the stash.

From doing my usual research I believe that the only differences between the '56 and '57 are tiny and cosmetic, not visible in our scale world. The engine was increased from 265ci to 283ci by boring out the same block, so no visible difference there either.

Anyway, I’m off to cut styrene and sniff glue. Hey, maybe that will even help kill the dreaded virus :scream:

Back soon with progress reports.

Cheers, D

Oh, almost forgot, already chosen colour scheme . . . . . . .

56VRef

:ok_hand:

5 Likes

D,
So sorry to read that you tested positive for Covid. Sounds like you’re fighting the good fight and are already on the mind. As for sniffing glue, who knows, it may help, but at least your focused on a build and not the virus 24/7.

Looking forward to your #4 build in the series especially with that beautiful iconic baby Blue/White paint scheme.
joel

1 Like

Glad to see you back at it D - even if it is only Bow tie stuff… LOL
Get well .
Cheers- Richard

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: . . . . . . :thinking: . . . . . :rage:

3 Likes

Well in typical fashion I got thrown a curve at the first step. The '56 came with 2 carburetor options, a single 4-barrel or a double in-line 4-barrel set-up.

56VRef02
56VRef03

The '57 came with the option of a double in-line 4-barrel or the newly developed General Motors Ramjet fuel injection system.

57VRef004

Now, the kit comes with 2 options for me, neither of which is suitable for the '56. One is the Ramjet which I will definitely use on the '57 (even though only 240 of the 6,339 Corvettes produced in '57 came with fuel injection), and the other is an after-market offset dual carb manifold set-up which was not standard on either model.

Digging through my meagre stash of Chevrolet kits :rofl: :rofl: I don’t even have a donor kit with a suitable set-up that I can swap out :disappointed: so I have decided to use the offset dual 4-barrel option on the '56.

While I was mulling over this dilemma I checked over the shell and found a couple of areas that need attention with flash removal, but so far no sink marks or other major work required.

And in a rush of blood I smashed through steps 2 to 6 to get the chassis assembly basically completed.

Apologies for the rambling, it’s great to get back amongst it!

Cheers, D

4 Likes

D,
I did a quick check with Mr. Google and as I suspected the vast majority of 1956 Corvettes with the 265 V8 came with the inline twin 4 barrels, not the single 4 barrel. Since the carbs will cover most of the intake manifold, can’t you file down the top so that both carbs are center aligned?
joel

2 Likes

@Joel_W , the intake manifold for the dual carb set-up isn’t a standard issue model, it’s a wider, flat-top unit. I’ve made a decision to give the '56 a few tweaks, it will be a mildly modified resto with some custom paint underneath and non-stock wheels. This will make a point of difference to the stock '53 '54 '55 builds.
I also checked out the colour options and on the '56 the colour was called “Cascade Green” so I am going for SMS Turquoise as the main body colour.

A couple of hours blowing paint at it today and made some good progress.

Cheers, D

4 Likes

D
Paint on the chassis and especially the Chevy V8 block looks real good.

joel

2 Likes

The noisy end is coming together nicely. Dry test fit of the chassis parts doesn’t show any problems at this stage.

Cheers, D

8 Likes

D,
Impressive work on the full drive train. I really like how the duel exhausts pipes are one metallic shade and the twin cans another, yet neither is close to the any of the engine/trans shades. Just helps to kick up the build a few extra notches.

And the lighting that you used for the pics really highlighted every part. Just looks way cool.

joel

2 Likes

Agree, that chassis and engine look very cool. Great start on the little corvette.

cheers
Michael

2 Likes

Excellent job so far D.

Great choice of color, love it with the white sides.

2 Likes

A little bit of progress made, painted and fitted the floor pan to the chassis assembly.

Cheers, D

5 Likes

D,
slow but steady progress is always the key to success. The floor pan just adds one more step towards the finish line.
joel

2 Likes