Curvy Tanks Campaign

@bwilt, thanks Bert. The tracks aren’t too bad for flexible vinyl type. I do wish that all the model companies would switch to link & length type tracks. I’m happy to hear that you like the dinged up road wheel tires.

Today was a good session. I airbrushed on the flat coat then did some of the detail painting that had to wait for that step to be done, such as the periscopes and vision blocks…

Just a few more small steps to go before I call this one finished…

4 Likes

Well, after todays bench session, I’m calling the tank completed.

One more session tomorrow and I ought to be able to wrap up the crew figures and do a proper end of project batch of photos…

8 Likes

I’m for yes! :+1:

Beautiful build, Carlos! Very nice finish on both the tank and stowage.

You set the bar high for the rest of us :slightly_smiling_face:

After some traveling with work I am back to my early Sherman. More to follow when I get the decals on.

@PiotrK, @SGTJKJ, thank you gentlemen! As I said yesterday, one more session, then better, proper photos of this beast.

So my first project of the year is now complete. I built it mostly OOB, aside from adding a clear acetate lens to the spotlight (no lens was provided), some .010 wire for the antennas, and replacing the nylon mesh for the grouser compartment vents with some brass mesh - the kit stuff was horrid to try to cut to size & shape. Base color is Model Master Acrylic IDF Sand. I based the markings off what few photos that I could find of M51s in the Golan during the October 1973 War, where the Israelis had to bring these old war horses out of war reserve to assist the Centurions in stopping then pushing back the Syrian onslaught and subsequently driving towards Damascus.

6 Likes

A real beauty! Very well done!

There is power! :+1:

@bwilt, @PiotrK, Many thanks for your kind words guys! I’m very happy to hear them on this build.

Very well done Carlos. Weathering is not overdone and the figures look great. One to be proud of.

Beautiful build, Carlos!

A bit of progress on my early Sherman. Decals and Weathering on suspension is on. Next detail painting and more weathering.

6 Likes

All that yellow! Looks like the hippy movement came early.

1 Like

A bit more progress. Some weathering to be done. Almost there now :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Jesper, you have Honky Tonk looking real good!

1 Like

I am calling this one done. Pretty satisfied with the overall weathering.

I went for heavy weathering from Tunisia, but very light wear as this tank was just landed in tunesia shortly before. Anyway, that was my general idea :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for a great campaign. Very nice entries in the campaign and hopefully more will follow :+1:t2::sunglasses:

8 Likes

Love it Jesper.

1 Like

Beautiful early Sherman there Jesper! You really nailed it on this build! :+1:t3: :+1:t3:

1 Like

Thanks, guys. Appreciate it. I am also pretty satisfied with the washed down Tunisian look. I used the streaking on the front hull and turret of the below picture as a guide. Obviously the photo is not from Tunesia and not same Sherman variant, so did not add any significant mud to the suspension.

I am considering adding it into a Tunesia diorama. Then I might add some more pastels and light dusting on the suspension to tie it into the groundwork. We will see.

Wow - even the sheep are camo’d! :grin:

Your build is terrific.

1 Like

Here are some good wartime color photos from Life Magazine of M4s in North Africa for weathering reference.

4 Likes

Okay calling the Matilda Frog done for the build. I am having trouble sourcing mesh of the right size for the rear, so will keep trying so I can add that some time in the future.

Placed it on a ‘jungle’ base depicting one of the roads leading to the refinery on Borneo where these fought. The plants were made by cutting up thick glossy paper, tape and wire, then painted various greens and the purple/maroon.

Figure started life as a German Tanker from the Tasca Luchs. Remodelled to change the long sleeves to bare arms, open neck shirts with rolled sleeves, Hornet head, etc. It was to be my entry for the ‘Nice Figure’ build… but I forgot to take pics!

It was a great idea for a campaign. Have loved being a part.

6 Likes