Destroyed Russian T72 in the Ukraine - project

Cracking result for a first effort. I’m sure all the things you learned along the way made the trip worthwhile in any event. :+1: :+1:

Thanks Armorsmith. I should have put some more thought into it before I started. I haven’t finished it yet. It’s sitting on a shelf here waving at me so I don’t forget it!!

Ah man that Werkstattkraftwagen kit is my nemesis hahahaha.

Ive got PMSD - post Miniarts stress disorder after tackling that. So many bloody parts! Will be well over a year on the bench as i do a few hours on it, leave it, do something else until I forget how not fun or funny it is and then go back to punish myself for another couple of hours.

I think it is looking very good. The blast and rust colouring is very nice. I would be very happy with it buddy. One Q though, what is the belly plate on the hull detailed like ? I am thinking of doing a real crazy build which involves cutting the wagon in half and pretending its 2 wagons submerged after falling off a pontoon/bridge one being turret up, and the bottom half upside down showing the belly plate ?

I can’t tell you if the belly plate is good or bad. I simply don’t know what it should look like. Sorry.

H.P.

7 Likes

It turned out SWEET!!!

OK, first off, it looks good. Second:

Do what you did, ask questions. Thats the best way to learn. Third:

Like you said, no two are the same, so anything you do is correct, as long as you think it looks good or “correct”. Last:
If I am getting burned out on something, I set it aside and work on it later. I think a lot of people do. The big question is, how long is “later”? A day, a week, a month? Thats up to you to decide. Try looking at it next week, see how you fell about it. If you think its done, its done. If not, do a little more to it.
Ken

3 Likes

OK a quick update.
Sitting unfinished on the shelf annoyed me. So a bit of a sprint to make it half decent!!

Just ‘stuff’ and some weathering. (Not the ‘stuff’ on my work desk).

Now back onto the shelf!

Good fun project. Nice kit.

12 Likes

I think it looks great!
I would add a little more black scorching/soot to it, but that is my opinion, and someone else may feel different.
I certainly think you accomplished what you set out to do.
Ken

Bruce, although you doubted how this was going to turn out, you have really produced a fantastic and detailed build in the end. The painting, weathering and finish combined with the ground work are terrific and a kit to be proud of.

And its a prime candidate for …

Built kits of all Vehicles from the current Ukraine War :grin:

1 Like

Beautiful result!

Ken after I posted the above images I went back and added some more black areas. Great minds think alike!!!

This is my first post here. Having seen real armor that has been knocked out close up firsthand, here’s a few notes. For one, the heat destroys the torsion bars and so the tanks sit flat and the road wheels sit recessed up underneath the fenders.

All of the rubber is burned off of the road wheels and they leave huge piles of ash under them. Huge white smoking piles of ash.

A lot of the thin sheet metal like around the fenders is distorted.

Generally the engines are never seen as they’re still underneath their heavy covers and would’ve been outside of any explosion that would’ve happened inside the tank.

Most tanks that burn out or “brew up” as we say, they don’t have a whole lot in them. Some charred human remains, (sorry, morbid I know) usually some burnt wiring harnesses, some shell brass, some rough wire frames and some metal boxes is all that remains. Everything inside is basically unrecognizable. In all cases, I was very thankful for that. It’s a bad way to go out.

Even on old Russian models, instead of the turret popping out, as another poster said they will generally lift off a little bit, and the hatches will blow out or blow open. Often, the gun sight, thermal optics, and any glass ports are gone if blown out. There is nothing rubber or leather left on the tank or in the tank if burned out.

Your model looks great! It’s a very good representation of a clean rusted out, burnt up tank.

Kev

3 Likes

Believe me, almost without fail, those turrets have been flying 10s of meters into the air - the evidence of it is legion.

Had any of the destroyed vehicles you came across had an encounter with a Javelin?

1 Like

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack-in-the-box_effect

H.P.

We didn’t have the Javelin, we had the Dragon. The Dragon’s warhead and strike methodology was very similar to the Javelin.

But we were also hitting them with the AGM-65 Maverick and the Hellfire missile systems, as well as depleted-uranium 30mm rounds. None of these systems are in use in Ukraine. Both the Hellfire and the Maverick are stronger than the Javelin IIRC. If no ammo in the tank, again, the turret didn’t always blow off, just lift off and could be a foot, could be resting on the hull sideways.

I’ve also seen what happens to an M1A1 Abrams tank after a strike from a Soviet anti-armor missile, and thank God for blowout panels is all I can say.

Amen to that!
Ken

1 Like

Image from the Ukraine taken on April 21, 2022 in Dmytrivka, Ukraine. looks like a Russian T-72B3 with your standard, run of the mill, “Jack-In-The-Box” turret separation.

1 Like