DKM Gneisenau 1/350

So I finished and presented the Veteran representation earlier, next up is the kit’s own gun.

The base plate is ok but lacking the detail from the Veteran PE part. Molding is fine, however, the resin is better.

Gneisenau 10 - 5

Even though the gun barrels are molded nicely and with much effort - they even have open muzzles - they are simply too big, looking clumsy compared to turned brass. So the have to go. Replacing them was not really easy, I cut away the lower part of the breech, since it was just too small for drilling…

Gneisenau 10 - 8

Here’s the completed Veteran again, and the body of the Dragon, and one converted barrel. In the middle a ‘huge’ 1mm drill…

Gneisenau 10 - 9

Brass parts added, makes the Dragon guns look pretty nice though.

Gneisenau 10 - 10

Gneisenau 10 - 11

And completed.

Gneisenau 10 - 12

Gneisenau 10 - 13

Dragon and Veteran.

Gneisenau 10 - 14

Gneisenau 10 - 15

Gneisenau 10 - 16

And here’s the last one, Flyhawk.
That one looks very two-dimensional at first, and has etched two-dimensional ‘barrels’. Those have to go, no question. I tried to replace them directly on the breeches, but I’d say that was too early. It’s probably easier to just cut the etched barrels off and insert the turned ones in the end.

Gneisenau 10 - 17

Gneisenau 10 - 18

Gneisenau 10 - 19

Gneisenau 10 - 20

Gneisenau 10 - 21

Gneisenau 10 - 22

All in all, the Flyhawk builds into a really nice little gun. The etched base plate looks better than the Dragon molded piece.

So here’s the comparison.
All three are not perfect, since they are all ‘firsts’ for me, they all need different approaches to build, and I’m sure once I start a production line the slight misalignment of the barrels will be eliminated. But all are fairly fine models, and if the Veteran and Flyhawk offerings would not exist, with the Dragon one nothing would be missed.
But personally I rate the Veteran the best, followed by Flyhawk and then Dragon. What I don’t like with the Dragon kit is that the barrels are too far apart. This is probably due to the limitations of molding the parts, especially the barrels, finer and thinner. From all three, Flyhwak are easiest to build.

Gneisenau 10 - 23

Gneisenau 10 - 24

Gneisenau 10 - 25

Gneisenau 10 - 26

Gneisenau 10 - 27

So I will try to get supply for the Veteran, if possible a bunch of sets that will help me with future builds, too. If I can’t get the Veteran sets, I’ll try to get Flyhawks. If that doesn’t work either, I will fall back to the original kit’s parts with turned brass barrels, without one of the others next to them they should look fine and the distance between the barrels should not be too obvious.
Anyway, what seems not a way forward is a mixed load e.g. Veteran/Flyhawk - small kist that they are, they all look pretty different. But they are all the same size, so it looks like Veteran, Flyhawk and Dragon agree on the dimensions. As it should be - however, I would not be surprised to see them different…

That’s it for now, next week busy again with my 1:1 F225, so no bench time. I hope to find time on the next weekend.

For now, thanks for looking, all comments welcome and cheers

Jan

8 Likes

Thank you Tim

and I fully agree! The hull is build rather sturdy with a full ‘inner level’, so it should be possible to achieve a near perfect fit. This sink on the bow is somewhat astonishing, too… Anyway. Let’s see how it will look under a base coat of surfacer…

Jan, thanks for the build comparison of the 37mms - very informative. I agree, the Veteran version looks the best of the three, but really they all look quite good. What a wonderful time to be modeling, when we have such an array of good-and-better choices!

I am enjoying watching your Gneisenau build develop very much!

:+1:t3:

1 Like

Yep, I agree with Tim: the veteran look to be the winners, but only by a whisker.

All three look great and whichever you choose will be just as good :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Jan,

As I am late to the party I cannot contribute much other than to echo what Tim and Russel have said - great work.

I will add though that there is a fourth option out there - Very Fire also has a set for the AA guns.

37mm

I can try to get some for you if your interested in checking them out.

David

3 Likes

Hi David,

thank you very much!
Well, those Very Fire look pretty cool, too - however, it seems I can’t get them anywhere here, best offer I could find is from Australia. BNA Model World. So this is a very kind offer of yours, and certainly I’d be interested in checking them out, but it seems rather tough to get ‘supply’… I have some more Kriegsmarine 1/350 in my stash that needs those 3,7 cm AA guns, and postage from overseas is quite expensive.
If you can get hold of some and mail them to Germany for reasonable conditions, sure! But not too much effort…

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

Tim and Russ,

thank you very much!

From those three, I agree it’s the Veteran Model kit. I try to get hold of some, will see - everywhere ‘out of stock’. The Very Fire definitely look interesting, should David be able to get them…

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

Jan

I have an account with Very Fire so it will be relatively easy to get - just have to drop the order. I will drop one tonight. I still need to do a kit review on their IJN Type 89 Dual Purpose 12.7mm AA guns - they look nice - will let you know!!

David

David,

that sounds great, thank you very much! Looking forward to this little kit! I will include it in my build log here and compare it with the three already built, but I can certainly provide a separate review for MSW if you like.

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

Jan,

A review would be great. Order was submitted last night, should have them in hand in about two weeks.

David

1 Like

Jan,

Back on line and just seen your posts. Fine progress with getting the hull in shape. Your work on the guns is outstanding and big improvement over the kit pieces. If you are a fan of Veteran PE their upgrades really do the job.

Again nice work.

Mark :beer:

1 Like

Jan, just caught up on your build and the good work you’re doing, I’ll continue to follow as Gneisenau is my favourite DKM ship.
On the 3.7cm gun front there is another option, 3D printed from Black Cat 3.7cm FLAK SK C30 twin on Dopp mount (x4)

I have some of their other weapons and complete ships and they don’t disappoint.

5 Likes

Yes, they look pretty cool - I like a lot of their new items, no doubt, and I’m more and more using 3D-printed details.
However, for parts where alternatives exist that I - at least partly - build or assemble myself, I prefer that over just buying a product that I’ve jut to paint before installing. (And that may very well change over time, if I need more and more powerful magnifiers to assemble those micro-kits…)

And a very quick update from last weekend, that I didn’t have the chance to post yet. Real life and my 1:1 frigate keep me really busy…

Not much to show essentially, drilling out the portholes. That’s quite a few for Gneisenau. Almost there…

Cheers
Jan

8 Likes

Nice progress, mate :slightly_smiling_face:

Great to see a fine looking hull on the bench… gets me to thinking… :wink:

I agree, that hull is beautiful!

Russ and Tim,

thank you very much!! Russ, I know you are missing those fine looking hulls of big ships on your workbench. You should do something about that - like starting another big one next to you DRAGON :wink:

I should find a little time over the weekend. Real life is slowing down a bit.

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

You’re right Jan: I should do something about that :thinking::slight_smile::wink:

1 Like

You may be right, Jan! My USS Constellation is nearing completion, and IJN Hatsuzuki is calling to me from the bench again. Now I appreciate the big ships, but IMHO there are no finer lines than those of the Akizuki class destroyers…

:grin:

3 Likes

Jan - Your efforts are truly inspirational! My hat is off to you sir on what is gearing up to be an amazing build. One of these days I may venture away from the Imperial Japanese Navy and try my hand on a German warship.

Bravo sir!

David

1 Like