Dreams Are Free Group Build (Oct 2020 - Mar 2021)

Phantom, Joel is right. use the color(s) that look right to you. Short of getting on the actual set and seeing the car live back in the day you’ll never match it exactly. Film lighting, wear & tear, touch ups, second cars and miniatures will make it look different all of the time. And all of the issues of color perception and film reproduction should render exact matches impossible.

Thanks for the thumbs up on the shocks. There’s so much detail on this model (compared to 1/72 A/C) I can’t just leave anything monotone. :wave:.

Well I finally managed to get some bench time and did some detail work on the Nomad.
First up, I started on the dashboard chrome work. Below the dash are the scratch-built armrests cleaned up ready for paint.

Next up I cleaned up and fitted the headlight lenses into the buckets, then detail painted the front emblem and bumpers, and gave the grille a couple of good black washed for depth.

The radiator mount was painted and the horn detailed in Vallejo chrome, and the steering assembly and dash chrome detailing was completed.

Once everything was dry, the seats, armrests and shifter were fitted to the interior tub. This will get a dark brown pin wash over the weekend.

I hope everybody is staying safe and well.

Cheers, D

1 Like

D,
Excellent progress for sure. I gotta admit that I really that how that front chrome grill looks.

Joel

Darn, Damien that grill emblem looks good, too bad it’s for a Chevy.
Here’s some progress shots on the suspension, all that hard work and it’s almost invisible. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Better pic, not all the work was wasted.

:wave:

1 Like

Mark,
I’m really impressed with your detail painting of the various suspension parts, especially those shocks and coil over springs.

Like you, so many of my builds where I spend so much time on the suspension, I end up with just fond memories of the work done. So keeping our build blogs handy ( I have a drive just for modeling), is a great way to every once in a while revisit a build.

Joel

Looks great with the parts in place Mark.

Made a bit of a start this afternoon. Cleaned up the interior parts, one piece chassis and assembled the seats. The moulding is very sharp on this kit and flash is virtually non-existant.

Phantom_Phanatic,
Always great to see a planned build actually started. Looking forward to your next update.

Joel

1 Like

Thanks Joel.
Was hoping to get a little more work done today, but it wasn’t to be. Wrapping presents and cooking dinner didn’t leave much time for anything else. Fortunately I do have the Christmas break coming up, so should have plenty of time to work on it then.
I think I might also have a solution to the paint finish. I’m thinking of spraying the body bronze, then masking and over-spraying the lower part with Tamiya mica red. I’ll experiment on some scrap first.

Found a good reference to the car here. https://www.petersen.org/c-2019-spinner-deckards-sedan
Fujimi really did do their homework on this one.

My wife and I really don’t celebrate any holidays these days as our parents have passed away years ago, and our son is in his mid 30s and lives in Rochester while we live on Long Island.

We always send him the perfect gift: Cash.

Joel

Taking a break from model building until the Commercial Trucks build starts in January. I’m going to take this time to reorganize the basement storage side and workshop room. I have boxes of model kits that have been on the floor for the 2 and a half years we’ve been here, not to mention other stuff still on the floor as well. In short, it is a disaster in there. LOL

Dave,
Been there and done that as well. Only a few weeks till Jan, so it’s not that long of a deal.

Please stop by and post on the guys builds when you can.

Joel

The Cobra has finally crossed the finish line, and she's now proudly taken her place in my display shelving in her own display case. 

Since my last update all the final details have been address and added. 1st up was the headlights. The chrome rings were way to shiny and just didn’t look right, so I striped them, then a base coat of Gloss Black followed by Alcad 2 Chrome. Once the lights were glued into place I needed to tape the headlights via SCCA and LISCC rules to prevent the glass from scattering over the track if a light got broken. I made the tape by just cutting masking tape, then using a black magic marker I colored each strip. Each light got 4 strips. Next up was weathering the tires which was accomplished by air brushing on clear flat tinted with Tamiya smoke. I hand painted the line fittings that are visible in front of the radiator as well for the rear end housing. After the chassis was installed, all the final bits & pcs like the windscreen, mirror, wheels, etc were installed.

Joel

3 Likes

Joel, I’ll still be by every day. And I love the final look of the Cobra, especially the headlight protection. Nice detail.

Looks great Joel.

Often wondered why they taped the headlights. Never occurred to me it was to stop glass splinters!

Dave,
Thanks so much for your thumbs up, it’s greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing you here even if your next build isn’t for a few weeks as yet.

Joel

Phantom_Phanatic,

As I said to Dave, thanks for your thumbs up. As for what the tape was for, I’m not so sure that unless you bothered to cover the entire light, that it would have prevented shattered glass from getting on the track.

Joel

Progress report time.

Firstly, on a very sad note we have been notified of the passing of one of our members here after a short battle with illness. Robert Jan (SpeedyJ) was enlisted to build a Citroen here, and we were all very much looking forward to his build. There is a dedicated discussion thread where we can all pay our respects, and Robert’s brother has joined the forums to share some of Robert’s works and life stories. Rest In Peace Robert, you will be missed.

We are now 10 weeks in to our 6 month time frame, and here’s where we sit.

We have our second completed build with Joel crossing the line with his lovely 427 Cobra!

Dixon66 (David) - 2005 Ford GT - 1/25 Polar Lights kit - COMPLETED
Joel_W (Joel) - Shelby 427 Cobra - 1/24 Monogram Kit - COMPLETED

Aussiereg (Damian) - 1957 Chev Nomad -1/24 Monogram Kit - Sub assemblies and body painted, clear parts, drive train and engine installed, detail painting continues
rv1963 (Robert) - 60’s Pontiac rebuild
Szmann (Gabriel) - VW Beetle Mk1, Suzuki Jimny, Mercedes 300SL Gullwing
md72 (Mark - Ferrari Testarossa - 1/24 Monogram kit - Engine painted, detailed and test fitted, detail painting and parts added.
Stickframe (Nick) - Ferrari, Porsche 959
Cosimodo (Michael) - 1915 LGOC London Bus - 1/35 MiniArt Kit
PasiAhopelto (Pasi) - '69 Ford Mustang - 1/25 Revell kit - Opened for inspection
Dixon66 (David) - Mad Max 1973 XB Ford GT Coupe
Hwa-Rang (Jesper) - The Persuaders Ferrari Dino 246GT - Body prepped for primer, engine assembled
SpeedyJ (Robert) - Mercedes Benz 170V Cabriolet B - 1/35 MiniArt Kit
tinbanger (Richard) - Model A Delivery Van (1931) - 1/16 MiniArt Kit - Gone all Frankenstein on us with a chopped top and parts from a funny car. Test fitting components and sub-assemblies.
IronHide (Arnel) -
North4003
Phantom_phanatic (Stephen) – Blade Runner Police Car – 1/24 Fujimi kit - Parts clean-up and sub assemblies under way

If anybody has changed or firmed up their proposed builds, or spotted anything wrong in the list, please let me know.

Cheers, D

1st and foremost, my sincerest condolences to Robert jan “SpeedyJ” family on his passing after a short battle with a illness. No one these days should pass at the young age of 52. As Damian said, we who knew him, will miss him.

Joel

Looking forward to seeing more of the GB members making progress with their entries in the coming weeks. So far what I’ve seen proves just what a diverse group of auto modelers we truly are.

Joel