Eduard Group Build - Aircraft

Hi Jesper, what about your 190?
:raising_hand_man:

Nearly done now, just a finishing coat and trying to fix the antenna wire…

:raising_hand_man:

5 Likes

Peter, my Fw-190 royal class is still in the build pile, but I might go with a Mustang instead - I cannot decide what to do. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, Jesper, my Würger will bag a Mustang, too… :laughing:

Is it politic to switch kits after getting started on one? I’ve made a bit of a mess on my 1/72 mig-21 and as I was going through it I kept wishing I’d done a 1/48 scale one, so I’m thinking of switching to a 1/48 mig-21. What do folks think?

1 Like

Phil, you can switch as you please :slightly_smiling_face:

Go 1/48 if you like :+1:t2:

I call it done now!

Thanks for this campaign and good luck to all builders!
Cheers
Peter :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Hello,

I’ve finally find my mojo again !

So let’s build something cool. For this campaign, i’ve choosed the F-6D

2 Likes

Nice choice - I Think I have this one in my stash as Well.

1 Like

excellent choice! I just finished a dual build of Tamiya’s B and D. I look forward to what you do with this one!

1 Like

Hi All!

High time for an update. After getting over making a plane that had a one-way design, I looked at the kit. It’s not a bad kit, though one can see that it’s an early Eduard’s production. The detail is exquisite. I’m going to say that during the construction phase I made an error by not doing the wings as a whole unit, choosing to do them two uppers, and the single lower for better fit. Could very well be my fault, though the fuselage wasn’t mine. It’s my tale and I will stand by it!

The Cockpit goes together without a hitch, and the seatbelts are nice.

Test fitting showed that as with most barrel fuselages, you’re not going to see much, so I added some color, highlighted the instrument panel, and that was it. I thought about doing a wash, but it wouldn’t be seen, so I moved on.

Construction was very quick after this, though the alignment pins didn’t match up on the fuselage resulting in all but one being removed. Fit was pretty good, and the wings followed. This is where I deviated from the instructions and added the uppers prior to the single lower. Could have been a bad move, not sure. Either way, there was a bit of clean up.

I gave all the seams a shot of MS 500, let it dry, and gave a gentle sanding with medium nail files (as sanding sticks have become a hard thing to find here). The results were good, however, ghost seams did appear most likely due to the weather here (coming of the rainy season into the windy season), a issue that one adjusts to here! So I’ll be following with some super glue in selected areas.

Still a fun build, and you all are doing great, keep it up! Till next time!

2 Likes

And again I forgot about this campaign. Blame it on my age … :innocent:

Both Spits are done now since a few weeks. Not very difficult builds but time consumpting because of the many parts. The Eduard kits are sure “state of the art”, concerning Spitfires.

These were enjoyable builds and I still have the Mk. I DualCombo in my stash.

Happy modelling!
Torsten

6 Likes

Nice work Torsten! I like the open canopy on Mk.IIb. Good touch!

1 Like

Thanks John! It was my intention to build one kit with an open canopy and one with a closed. The third possibility is to build an open canopy but a closed door. For the open canopy I have used the PE parts of the kit, for the closed canopy I have used the decals. So I saved some PE parts for another build one day … :innocent:

1 Like

Torsten, as a frugal modeler, I applaud you! I do the same.

When I started my last ship I forgot that I joined this campaign. So now a little belated start with my BF-108B Taifun.

Its a quite old packing which included masks for the canopy and tyres. I just added the Eduard PE for the seatbelts and instrument panel.
I hope for a nice simple build, but lets see…

Cheers

Tom

2 Likes

And a short update: The cockpit plus PE from the small Eduard set.

This is really travelling in style with the nice leather seats.

Chers

Tom

2 Likes

Short update:

Cockpit and engine mated. I had the brilliant idea to open up the engine bay to show the nice engine.

The problem is now that the bottom part of the fuselage has no really strong connection to the rest of the fuselage.

With a lot of massaging and tweaking and clamping I managed to attach the wings to fuselage and cockpit without any serious use of putty. The cockpit is somehow too narrow, the fuselage a bit wide. I doublechecked with putting the canopy temporarily on, and its fitting. The next time i would squeeze the fusalage a bit more with the clamps.

Started to paint the underside. Then desaster struck. I stepped on the canopy :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

It cracked slidely but not broke completely. A check for spares with the excellent Eduard service dept. got the result: “Unfortunately all sprues burnt in our big fire” :roll_eyes:
In despair I bought a second kit net, but I hate to ruin a perfect kit for one part.
After some thinking and carefully looking at pictures I got an idea to make the crack invisible.

More next time

Cheers

Tom

3 Likes

Tom, sucks with the canopy accident. I am looking forward to seeing your solution to the problem.

Great progress so far - hope the canopy works out.

Best of luck.

As an option maybe use the broken or good canopy to make a mold of the shape and lay clear plastic over the mold.