Enemy in sight, 1944

Hi Erik 3 fantastic options and i think number three caught me the most interest. But everyone is fantastic. Good luck Micke

1 Like

Bravo Erik, for the scale for starters (!), your obvious talent, and your willingness to change your mind. The downside is you’re likely to get conflicting opinions but that’s OK because it’s always your final decision. My 2 cents – I preferred your Where Eagles Dare scenario to be honest. With the revised scene I’d remove all the tank-traps & wreckage because it’s drowning out the focus of the scene, and I’ve never seen gates like that – timber or metal-frame with wire mesh more plausible. And think about it – who’s operating the gate when a train/tram approaches? Rather than a statue I suggest there should be a guard/control-box there. If it’s a Krupp factory then we’re more likely in early 1945, so maybe it should be a snow scene? Why not take advantage of this versatile scale and have the tail or wing of a wrecked aircraft (Me 262 or an Allied bomber?) smashed through the gate for additional interest? :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

Yo! Thanks for your feedback.
I also preferred the first set up, but it became difficult to use the panzerfaust. I think the scenery become better than just on focusing on a panzerfaust, if you know how I mean? I will save that one and for a better and bigger scenario that suits 1/72 in a better way.

I like the gate, and it’s all I have.
This group build diorama must be ready to the end of February, so little time for big changes.
I have always wanted to build a diorama that’s including a crashed airplane or a wing as you mentioned. But in this case, I think that parts of an airplane will take your thoughts and interest away from the panzerfaust more than the anti tank obstacles. This obstacles have a connection to the panzerfaust, both “anti-tank weapons”.
And the GB’s mission is “anti-tank build”.

You are totally right about how to open the gate.
Once again, the focus should be the panzerfaust, the rest is just a background. It’s not a “checkpoint diorama”. Also, this is not the main entrance to the factory. But I will see to the possibility to add a guard-box, I like the idea:)
Snow: It’s March 1945, I have to opportunity to add a little snow. That is to be decided in the end of the build. Absolutely the last detail to add.
/Erik

Erik, you didn’t mean the 1/72 A4 group build did you ? That does not end until Jan 2022… Or is this one being done for another build ? I may of missed that part of you mentioned I before ??

Hi John, no this is for another GB, I am a busy builder :rofl:
/Erik

1 Like

Phew… I didn’t want you rushing it :+1:

1 Like

@Dioramartin Thanks a lot for your feedback, thanks to that I think this little dio have some potential.
I am building a sort of “box” as checkpoint for the gate. I also done some painting on the building that hopefully increase the “industrial feeling”.
Cheers

4 Likes

Some very nice updates there Erik. Kiosk looks good - what is the plan for it ? a check point/sentry point like you said or a civilian use ?

The finish on the building looks good as well, as do the diagonal sections you ve painted in.

With all the changes you have made and removed and then added more parts, you could build this dio about 6 times with totally different looks each time … great work :+1:

1 Like

Thanks John! My idea about the check point: This industrial plant was build far before the war, before there where soldiers guarding the factory. This Check point was build in 1935 and is more like a civilian building for a “caretaker” that operates the gate etc. I hope that scenario works? /Erik

1 Like

A matter of fact I think I will place a window in front instead of a open area…

Sounds perfectly plausible Erik. And the glass will be a nice touch.

1 Like

I really like your ideas and it will be very nice. the fasad looks perfect / Keep on the good work

1 Like

Thanks guys! I did a quick test, this is not final result of course. Cheers

2 Likes

Absolutely beautiful…

and am amazed at the idea of having a dio like the one you started with, then putting that aside and making something completely new… adjusting and redoing that idea a couple of times… and when that proposition of a smashed aircraft and your remark about dioing something like that… i was half expecting you to put this dio aside and starting all over again…

The building being undamaged is nice, but factories, especially Krups in the Ruhr area, were targetted and bombed numerous times, and a factory that had a sign of Krups on it, a railrod leading up to it… would probably not have stayed unharmed…as I reembert from stories my late father told us about his time as a forced labourer in Germany during WW2… but it is your dio, your world and it looks smashing!

1 Like

Hi Eric,

It’s looking good, :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:.

Cheers, :beer:,

G

1 Like

Comrades, thank you so much for feedback etc.
Of course it’s not realistic with a Krupp building that’s not damaged. The problem is that I want to keep the buildings intact, I am pleased with the outcome of the intact scenario.
I feel that it’s better to keep this diorama for a non-battle scene. For example adding some figures like this: (Black Army, picture from the box art)

(I have them in stock)

So what to do with the diorama for the GB “Tank hunters”??
I don’t want to go back to the first scenario, that one is for another and larger diorama.
I walked out to my garage, and looked around…I found a piece of wood and thought: OK I use this one, the size is what it is, no changes!
I looked in my stock for a building that could work, I found a building that I already primed black. I think it works as a “Ardennes building” except for the roof. Therefore I will scratch build a new building in the same size as this one but with another roof.

Okey, I brought the parts inside to my work station in the house and set up a mockup.
So my friends, this is it, no changes from now. The dio must be ready in February so I have 4 weeks to complete it.

(The tree will be changed, it will be less leafs)

Set up “Enemy in sight 2.0”:

Feedback is more than welcome:)
Cheers, Erik

5 Likes

I can’t … I’m speechless !!! :+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

Thanks John:) I will start scratch build the house later to night.
But first I painted my first ever medieval night, 1/72. Me and a friend are going to build a large diorama 60 x 40 cm, showing a section of an army walking/riding on a road on the country side in Sweden ca year 1200.
There will be about 40 figures and 20 horses to paint…
The diorama will be placed in a museum when it’s ready in 2022.
Cheers

5 Likes

Tonight work continued to scratch build the house, the front of the bottom floor is almost ready. Maybe I will cut off a bit of the house to make it a bit lower?
Pictures tells more than a 1000 words.
Lack of time, have to zzzz see you tomorrow:)

4 Likes

It looks perfect for a 3 story house so I dont think it would look out of place. I like the cardboard template for the house front. good plan. I take it the small square outline on the top floor will be an attic window ? the figure gives it all a good scale reference for when people look it like this and that helps alot. :+1:

1 Like