FV432 mk3 question

You should try being in the back of one, closed down, with a section of troops fully kitted out, sardines, going cross country for miles. Sick making doesn’t begin to describe it. Everyone was ill, all the time. It was a ploy you see, by the time the door opened, you couldn’t wait to get out, even if Satan himself had been waiting, you’d be after him.

It didn’t get much better with Warrior really, although the ride was smoother. The thing with Warrior was the fuel tank was inside the crew compartment, behind the turret cage, in between that and the troop seating. It was made out of a tough plastic material that was just opaque enough that you could see the fuel sloshing around inside. So, if you were a new boy, you got to sit next to the fuel tank with strict instructions from the Section commander to not take your eyes off the fuel tank to make sure we were not going to run out.

Obviously, after about 5 minutes of cross country driving, with the fuel swilling about, the guy would be heaving.

We used to take bets on how long it would be before he was puking.

4 Likes

But true…

motivator

2 Likes

@Johnnych01

That icon is a perfect example of why you cannot ‘have cake and eat it too’.

More to the point, where is the rest of the cake? :grinning:

I ate it.
Having cake, eating cake, still having cake:
y’a know Peter, at our age eating the cake means it gets added to our waist so in one sense we still have it even after we ate it
:rofl:

2 Likes

I resemble that remark… :rofl:

But I am a lot shorter than you, so you can get away with carrying it better than I can.

1 Like

Being taller just means that my waistline is closer to eye level for the rest of the population …’
I’m not totally convinced it is an improvement.
My wife told this morning me that I could use my belly as a weapon …

2 Likes

It is. Never heard of Gut Barging?

Militarily, it is also an advantage when loading a Gastraphetes:

Cheers,

M

1 Like
1 Like

Are we sure the designers of these things were not secretly working for the Russians?

1 Like

I have another quick question about Takom parts. Did the antenna bases change for operation Telic? Takom gives the older style of ABA on the original kit sprues and US like antenna bases with a semispheric base and a spring mount for the antenna sections. The instructions call for the US like bases. Is this correct?
I guess it’s time to show my progress on this kit as well.

Olivier

Salut Olivier

Check out these pics showing the two versions of the uparmored FV432. The top picture shows US bases (as far as I can tell…) I would guess both versions are fitted with the same antenna bases…

https://www.tankograd.com/html/img/pool/9015%20FV432%2002.jpg

H.P.

2 Likes

I think by the time the 43’s were upgraded to Bulldogs with the up armour etc, they were fitted out with Bowman radios and the long spring type antenna base, whereas the older 43’s were clansman fit outs. There was probably a slight cross over as radios got replaced with new for old, and it would probably have been done at unit level so everything was fitted out at the same time across a unit. Will dig around a bit for the time frame unless someone else knows… I think it was mid 2000’s… From 2005 onwards ?

1 Like

Both those vehicles are fitted with Bowman and the new type American (long spring) antenna base :+1:

1 Like

You guys were some sick puppies. So did any new guy ever make the whole ride without puking? And when he puked in the vehicle, did the smell make everyone else heave also? And who got stuck cleaning up after? Inquiring minds want to know!
Ken

I was trained on Bowman in late '04, early '05. Vehicles issued after that would be in unit sets either all Bowman or all Clansman. It took a while to get everything working as it should but once the issues were sorted it was the dogs danglies. Secure frequency hopping sets, intranet as well and internet which allowed inter-vehicle e-mail. Moving map display with integrated GPS and target locating.

It certainly is a good bit of kit … clansman was ok, but clunky… It had reached its sell by date and needed to be replaced.
I had a look around a few wagons down in Lulworth when my mate invited me down for a few beverages in the mess… He was the Regimental down there for a few years, must of been about 2007/8… Were you down there as a G.I I also looked around a few of the HCR refitted wagons, but that was probably 2010/11 when I went back for a visit.

Most people made it through just feeling very nauseus. After the man had gone sufficiently green, he was let off the hook. I only ever saw one guy actually throw up. To be honest, motion sickness amongst emabarked troops is a constant problem on most APC/IFV and airline style sick bags were plentiful.

No by that time I was revving up to switch to long service list. I spent the last 5 of 28 years service working for HQ Recruiting Group in Upavon in the middle of Salisbury Plain. Again not good when your family live in the North East, but it did wonders for my pension.

1 Like

As far as a I know the fuel tanks are all painted now, green or black with a thin 1inch strip from top to bottom so you can see the fuel level. I remember being recovered by a REME Spartan and being in the back with my crew and feeling sick as a dog, and we were being pulled on roads!!

Hi
when we built them there was 4 versions on 432 Bulldogs no such thing as Mk3.

first one no change to commanders Hatch
second had the basic gpmg shield
third raise mount for gpmg or .50
fourth RSW

also FV 432 Bulldog up armoured ver few of these.

each vehicle was had different number radio aerials depending on its role
Ossie

1 Like