Garage Queens 2021

D,
With the Lola build now on hold till after my Porsche GT1 build as i need to do a full strip job on paint and primer, does this make my Lola a GQ build, or does it have to be from the previous year?

Joel

Joel, as far as I’m concerned, a Garage Queen just needs to be a build that has been shelved for some reason and dragged back out after it has paid its penance! I don’t believe that we have ever applied a strict time frame rule as to when it was started or shelved, so I would say you’re good to go mate!

Cheers, D

After an enjoyable BMF session on my 57 Nomad last night, I decided to revive my 54 Corvette build which was shelved in August last year. It is at the stage of applying BMF to the body, with a bit more work to do on final assembly and detail painting. I will finish it off here for GQ21, then revive the Corvette C1 Trio thread when I start on part 3, the '55!

I made a start about 15 minutes ago, here we go!

Cheers, D

1 Like

Well nearly two years after I started her, the Alpine Renault A110 is finished.
Learnt a lot, mistakes were made, but I’m fairly happy with my first finished car since I was about 12.

Andy :slight_smile:

1 Like

I call that a win mate! Careful now, these things are addicitive!
Congrats on getting the Alpine across the line, it’s a great looking little car. How did the decals behave? They looked to have settled nicely from the pics.

What’s next on the bench ? Are you following up with another Auto build, for the Commercial trucking or Heart of the Beast group builds?

Cheers, D

1 Like

Thanks D.
The decals were perfect, didnt even need to use and decal solution on them. Now the metal transfers on the other hand were a pain in the proverbial. I ended up gluing the things down as they wouldn’t stick at all and kept falling off.

Well my next build is a 1/48th Panther tank that needs finishing, not actually sure why I stopped building it as its nearly finished lol. One of my goals this year is to finish all the stalled builds I have dotted around the place.

Well I do have a truck in the stash somewhere, might be worth digging it out, I shall ponder on it.

1 Like

Yeah, me too. Any chance that this year will last about 10 years? Now, I’m not saying that Scalemates is lying to me, but I’m definitely feeling like I’m being judged! :rofl:

Screenshot 210123 wip

Cheers, D

That’s a lot of started kits there D. I started using Scalemates for my stash, then stopped updating it after a while as I kept forgetting to add things when I got them lol.
I have about half that number unfinished, how many will actually get finished though is another thing :joy:.

D,
So be it. It should be back on my bench following my Porsche build, which is a build i’ve been planning for a few years. Just gotta get that damn primer off. Will be starting that process today for sure.

Joel

Great Alpine Andy. Very nice finish in blue - looks ready to go.

cheers
Michael

1 Like

A bit more BMF on the '54 Corvette, the RHS, door tops and seat backs are all done. I think I will hand paint the roof cover catches and windscreen wipers, they are a bit small and fiddly to BMF.

Very happy with how this one is looking!

Cheers, D

1 Like

The '54 Corvette has found its feet!

Cheers, D

1 Like

D,
My cousin had a 54 for a little while, but it got stolen and never found. Yours is really looking exceptional. Can’t wait to see her finished.

joel

Andy,
Can’t believe I missed the Alpine as she crossed the finish line. I’d say you did one heck of a job., Overall you’ve got one really nice display piece.

Joel

1 Like

Thanks Joel.
I am pretty pleased with the result. Looking forward to my next car kit now, espaically after all the helpful advice on painting in the other thread.

Andy: Alpine looks great. Looking forward to your next build.

Damian: Beautiful paintjob, BMF looks sharp.

1 Like

Andy,
Gloss paint jobs are 100% opposite from what we’ve learned in military painting. Believe me, I truly sucked at this for a long time. this is my 3rd time back in cars, and this time I’ve finally learned the basics.

Like I posted, find one procedure/process that works for you, and stick with it. Paul of International Scale Modeler procedures with light, even coats is what works for me. Plenty of guys paint completely different, but their methods never worked for me consistently. There’s several guys I can suggest, or you can spend time on YouTube till you find one that works and makes sense. Duplication is a major key for me.

Joel

1 Like

Looking great Andy and Damian. Nice jobs on both.

Damian, is it a trick of the light and camera or is the bonnet a different shade than the rest of the body?

1 Like

David, I had to refinish the bonnet after the body was done due to a paint blemish, so it does look slightly different from some angles. Might just be the gloss level of the clear finish because it was done at a different time.

Cheers, D

1 Like

Thanks for the info D.!