Golden Memories

Thanks Peter!

It’s a build full of modelling joy too…
:beer:

1 Like

First try to post from my cellphone.

While the radio box was drying up from the paint, I switched again to the truck.

Received a couple of days ago a set of GAZ-66 Instrumental Panel 3D decals of Quinta Studio and decided to replace Trumpeter’s rather dull ones:

Then added 2 light cloaking devices (PE from Customfactory plus some scratchbuilding)

Somewhere in the middle of the build I realized I need to lengthen the frame towards the front bumper- unlike the regular GAZ-66 truck, that had a transversely mounted winch, the KShtM had a longer, longitudinally mounted engine driven generator and it needed a lot more space.
I knew I had to do it someday, yet I constantly postponed it mainly in fear of the unavoidable colateral damage.

Then I saw Matt (@SSGToms) lenghtening the frame of his splendid Kfz.31 Steyr Sanka and said to myself it is about time!

Managed to tear off the bumper, the engine driven generator and the towing hooks for the sake of only one wheel ripped off from its mounting.
Added 5 mm length to the frame and 2 additional step boards to the boards on the bumper.

Then built the box protecting the generator from the elements. Modified the tow hook supports to match the pictures I have. Applied some Mr. Surfacer 500 here and there.

Next I’ll coat the newly built parts with my first choice primer-Mr.Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black. It will also play the role of base colour.

Cheers,
Angel

5 Likes

This is looking fantastic Angel. Each time I see it you have taken it to a new level.

The new decals really jump out in that amazing cab.

And another daunting chassis rebuild… Yet you pulled it off faultlessly, brilliant.

All the extra little bits and pieces only you would know about make it truly a one of a kind build.

I seriously think this is the best build I have seen when you take in to account probably 60 to 70% is scratch built.

Mind blowing. You have done it justice my friend !!! :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Wasn’t so bad after all Angel. Glad to see you bit the bullet and it paid off for you.

1 Like

Those look great, along with the rest of your build.

Do you know if one of the decal options would work with the Eastern Express Gaz-66 AA kit?

Nice to see your radio truck coming together under paint. Such a shame that most of the radio compartment will be hidden but the addition of the lights is really cool and does help. :+1: :+1: :+1:

Hey Angel thanks for the shout out and congratulations on successfully lengthening YOUR chassis! Flawlessly I might add! Excellent job as always and keep on with the great work. This is truly a masterpiece.

1 Like

This is really an awesome build… The amount of detail you managed to put in there is really incredible. You managed to produce something really award winning. Wil you put it in a dio with some figs? I do hope so, as I find figures always add a sense of scale…

1 Like

Thanks for your kind comments, gentlemen!

Couple of years ago, while discussing some R-142 details with Mike Koenig(@165thspc) for his build, I promised myself I’ll build a(my) KShtM too and will go over the top when my turn comes.

I started looking for and collecting materials and pictures, acquired couple of Trumpeter’s GAZ-66 kits, eyeballed- but rejected- Eastern Express R-142 kit, looked around for donor parts/kits e.t.c.

By the time John(@Johnnych01) came out with the brilliant idea for this Campaign, I already had a full folder of references and- much to SWMBO’s annoyance- a growing pile of modelling items related to this project (SWMBO cannot differentiate between various modelling projects, yet a growing pile makes the difference outright :wink: ).
I jumped in the boat immediately.

Thus Mike and John are the “fathers” of this build, while I’m just the plain, AMS diagnosed rivetcounter, who builds the beautifull piece of machinery he spend a year of his youth around.

Ryan(@Tank_1812), Quinta Studios say their decals are made for Trumpeter, but I think they’ll suit EE GAZ-66 too.I have one dashboard to spare(there are 3 in the set and I have only 2 kits) and I can send it to you.PM me if you’re interested.

Erwin(@golikell), I’ll build a dio base, otherwise I cannot hide the battery pack for the LED lighting.Not sure about figures though- I won’t find anything suitable for a 1990’s Bulgarian Border Trooper, I’m affraid.
And I suck at figures painting…

3 Likes

Thank god for that… We have at last found the chink in Angels armour… Yay !!! Lol :laughing:

4 Likes

It’s a trap. You know his figure painting would be great.

4 Likes

I’m glad I had the idea @ayovtshev … It allowed everyone the chance to see the exquisite KShtM you have now given us…so thank you Angel !

1 Like

I know lol…

1 Like

Well, it won’t…But

I know someone, who’s figure painting is great.
And sofar he has never refused painting a couple of fig’s for me :wink:

1 Like

I have a proposition…
I was thinking of doing another Golden memories group build over in this new site, however I have been thinking of a variation to the group build to make it easier for people to join in.

The problem I see is that people genuinely commit to saying they will join in, but then for whatever reason, some may have to pull out etc etc.
Another reason is when a Group Build (GB) is announced, people may be already overcommitted, or not have anything at hand to build and have to buy it all etc etc

Since I started the Golden memories I have seen alot of people who weren’t in the campaign build some cracking kits that were special to them be it they served in it, or it was a family / friend connection etc.

How about we don’t have a GB, but just make this a continuous build blog based on people’s Golden memories ? It could lay dormant for a a month or so, or longer, then someone decides the time is right for them to build that special wagon they or their dad served in and the build thread starts up again. Someone else sees it, and sparks some interest in a build they may do in the future ??
What is everyones thoughts on it … I would happily keep monitoring the thread to keep it current ??

1 Like

Sounds interesting. Between the other group builds here (Miniart, 1/72 dio, Commercial Trucking) and my club builds (1/72 armor and ship), it would be later in the year/next before I could build my hog or any other kit as I just don’t build that fast so it works for me.

1 Like

That sounds good for me too.
I have a UAZ 469 all-terrain vehicle I intend to build some day as a Border Troops Light UV.

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

John, I think a sort of rolling project thread would be quite good; my builds are never that fast (although the new site has speeded me up a bit); I have a couple of modelling ideas in the pending tray - mainly Land Rovers and trailers yet again - but with your idea they might come to fruition sooner rather than later.

1 Like

John I think that’s a fantastic idea. I’ve been wanting to get in on this thread and build an ITV or a Bradley, both of which I commanded, but I’d be so far behind if I joined a few months from now. Your proposal makes it a reality for me.

1 Like

Thanks @BootsDMS, @SSGToms, @Tank_1812 & @ayovtshev - that’s 4 that think it’s a sound plan and with me, that’s 5 and I call that a party lol…so from now on, I will keep this thread active, (perhaps it could be pinned ? Maybe an admin could give better insight ? ) And people can just jump on when have the kits/ urge/time to do “their special” wagon…also the joy of doing it this way is you can start it, and do it as a back burner… With no rushing etc…:+1: