Golden Memories

Angel, lately I’ve been losing sight of what you’re doing, but you get modeling on GAZ-66 (R-142) very well. Congratulations.

1 Like

Erwin(@golikell), I’ll build a dio base, otherwise I cannot hide the battery pack for the LED lighting.Not sure about figures though- I won’t find anything suitable for a 1990’s Bulgarian Border Trooper, I’m affraid.
And I suck at figures painting…

I doubt your lack of skill, seeing what you did to the radio et such! As for the figure(s): you never came across a flock of sheep or some other animals? That could be added too…

1 Like

WOW Angel - Just WOW!

2 Likes

Great idea John. I was already committed on other builds although I wanted to do one for this. I hate joining a build and not supporting the guy that started it, so I keep my my end of the bargain up - only once bowed out with a crap kit and no time to change. So, yes, I will do some thing a little down the track.

Given it is not an official GB going forward, maybe you could encourage guys that have part started a build that had real personal meaning but never finished - give them a reason to really finish that Golden Memory?

A great idea Peter, and fully agree with it…and for anyone who can push this message to the wider community then please do… the more personal wagons that get built the better… :+1:

@ayovtshev, once you have finished the superb Radio truck… I will rename this thread " Golden Memories - ongoing"… Does that sound like a sensible plan… ?

1 Like

Sure John!
It sounds good!

1 Like

Calling construction and base colour painting of my R-142N Deymos radio truck done:

I played around a bit and truck cabin can be tilted now(like in the real thing) to give access to the engine:

Not a rocket science because Trumpeter provides all required parts, but a matter of carefull planning what and when to do. I failed to do it, so I had some tense moments dismounting finished assemblies…my fault.

I’ll be away from modelling room for some days, but when I come back I’ll add some basic oil paint weathering on truck and radiobox.

And then will continue working on the dio base in the Golden Memories-Ongoing thread.
Major ingredients are already here:

I’ll use a picture frame, a piece of wall insulation and will try to convert some Soviet Afghan War figures into Bulgarian Border Guard ones.
Painting of figures is already agreed with my Service Provider :grin:

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Cheers,
Angel

6 Likes

Looking forward to seeing the final product. Looks sensational as is.

Have a great Christmas New Year Angel, (and everyone else)

Cheers

Peter

1 Like

You have made this a real work of art Angel… I am running out of platitudes for this fantastic build. It is awe inspiring seeing how much love and hardwork you have devoted to this kit. It just keeps on getting better and better. It’s great you’ve tilted the cab so we can see that great engine you did go start with.
I can’t wait to see more of it…
Have a great Christmas and New year my friend …
John

1 Like

That looks great. Look forward to seeing the next steps. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

1 Like

It turned out to be a little Gem!!! I hope you manage to do your magic on those figs too! The truck deserves it!

1 Like

Angel, so it’s not rushed, how about I extend the finish date to 17 Jan 2021. I don’t think the end dates are so much of an issue now to be honest what with the new site and how they are managed now, but I thought I would anyway ok. John

1 Like

That would be nice, John!

I’m sure I’ll manage to weather the truck till Year’s End, but as this will be my first base and third plus figure conversion, I might use some extra time.

I took Shep Pain’s tribute Armoured Modelling book while I was away and spent some time reading carefully.

Decided I’ll go with only one figure.
It will stand at the open door of the radiomen compartment with its left hand resting on the inner door handle and its right hand holding the AK strap.

Combined some parts of the figure set, did some surgery on the cap, shaved away some pockets, added buttons and Border Guard belt with straps, a hand watch and even found glasses to use.

Here is a preview:

I’ll prime it later today and will give it to Kalin(@k_mero4), who is a Master in painting figures.

When finished, it should look like one of those Border Guards:

As a side note:
I found the last picture on the web, but it was taken in my boot camp facility, few years before my arrival.

My God, how I came to hate those tall trees in the background for their falling leaves. We had to collect them by hand (sweeping them from the wet ground was simply impossible) each morning for more than a month.

Finally I convinced my fellow soldiers to climb the trees and shake each branch untill all withered bastards fall to the ground. We did this one Sunday afternoon(our only free time) and managed to sweep all the leaves until dusk arrived.

Next morning, due to lack of leaves to collect, our PT exercize duration was increased by half an hour :rofl:

Another Golden Memory :beer:

3 Likes

That figure looks really good with what you’ve done so far Angel, it has a nice stance of just with his hand on the door. I like it.
Some times only the 1 figure is all you need to give the kit some perspective and scale and it keeps the vehicle as the main focus point.

1 Like

Wooooh! How did I miss this thread prior to just now?

@ayovtshev , your Commo truck is incredible! All that interior work is fabulous. I did get a chuckle from seeing how the radios look to be separated from the rear “office” portion. Can’t have those guys doing the coding work hear any transmissions… :shushing_face: its all classified!

@BootsDMS, your HQ type Land Rover nailed the “endex” look. Everything is tossed in to get back to garrison. Not as neatly packed as when heading out to the field.

Great stuff guys!

4 Likes

Carlos,

Many thanks; I don’t know about waiting for Endex, (and this was roughly a 3-weeker) after about 48hrs in the field all the good intentions of keeping things orderly sort of evaporated; fatigue, and the odd “Crash out” (emergency move) all conspired to a sort of organized chaos. God knows how we manged to distribute the Staff’s orders in anything like a coherent fashion! Although thinking about it, we were young, keen and fairly resourceful, and as is the way with young men, we overcame most problems.

Anyway, thanks again.

Well, the new format is a change. Big time.

Anyhow, I don’t see my last post regarding my HEMTT. Regardless, I’ve dropped out of this one…too many things going on to finish.

Mike

Hi there @TacFireGuru, there is a way to complete the build… Once this build period is finished (I gave it a 2 week extension) I am keeping this thread going as an on going build thread for Golden Memories…as I have other ones I want to build, and I know there are others as well…:+1:

Interesting now that there are, I believe, no more badges…Campaigns can kinda go forever…?

Mike