Gruson Fahrpanzer emplacement

I am calling the base done. There is a little bit more I would like to do but my experience says stop while it’s still decent. I will pull the tape off in a day or so and probably add an another coat of black paint.

I swear this hobby is so madding at times.

Another touch up/repaint is in order. So close but so far. Splat, I was the bug today.

6 Likes

Bummer. The brass ran off into the grey yonder!

2 Likes

I love it , very cool piece .
Have you considered using a black oil and turps wash to pop the hinges , panel lines , rivits etc.
A very diluted black oil wash entirely would also knock down the grey monotone overall .
You keep doin you man , brilliant subject .

4 Likes

Yes, but I have been failing at the execution time and time again.

1 Like

How so ?

2 Likes

Name a way to fail, I have done it. Like Edison, I have found many ways to not do a panel wash. Too much material, not enough material, streaking (not in helpful good way), waiting too long, not waiting long enough. I was using brown/sepia as I felt black was too stark for light grey.

1 Like

Tell ya what I’m gonna do .
I’ve gotta go to Shop-Rite at 7am and get my weekly vittles .
When I get back I’ll black oil wash this sanbagged field mod for the front of my M8 .
The piece was painted in acrylics .

4 Likes

Or you could just put it out in the garden for a couple of years :sun_behind_rain_cloud:

4 Likes

Might be the best method to protect the little sanity I have. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Don’t sweat it Ryan, I have major fails all the time. I just never show them online. Even tried and true methods don’t work sometimes. If something looks really cool, it might be my second or third try at it. Or in the case of the Styer ambulance windshield, 34 tries! That took days! I’m sure Glenn will get you straightened out.

2 Likes

Ryan , put whatever color oil [ or enamel , I prefer oil , longer working time ] on a piece of cardboard to leech some of the oils out of the paint . This will make drying time faster .
Take a brush , not synthetic , horse hair etc, and dedicate it as your oil wash brush .
Dip your brush in your turps and take a small stab at the oil pile , dip it again into the turps .
Now just touch the area with the very tip of the brush you want to color and the turps/oil color will just flow onto your work .
The beauty of this method is , if you have too much color , dip it in turps and wipe it on a paper towel then dab the area you just colored and the turps will lift some of the color making it a lighter wash .
If you don’t like what you did just take your brush and dip it in your turps [ don’t wipe it on the paper towel ] and clean the afore mentioned work .
This must be done over an acrylic paint job .
Some folks paint with enamels and wash with acrylics , I haven’t had as much success as I have washing oils over acrylics .

Original piece .

Washed piece .

I could clean up some more of the overwash after letting it set for awhile and taking my brush slightly damp with turps and brushing a tad away from the rivits .

Like I said , the beauty part about this method is being able to totally clen the piece with turps and try again .
Give it a try , you’ve got nothing to loose but your sanity , but as you said , you’ve already lost that .
Notice how it pops the sandbag seam lines as opposed to the original pic.

5 Likes

I think Glenn has got you squared away Ryan. Pin washes in slightly different tones will add interest, the bolt and hinge details need to be a bit pronounced, not overly done. There’s nothing wrong with adding a bit of acrylic dirt/mud splash at the bottom as well, then a light dusting. this is an outside rig, whether new or several years old, there’s going to be noticable weathering on it.

Don’t beat yourself up, this is a hobby, not a job.

Hey, here’s something to lighten your load, ma Brotha!

4 Likes

Interesting point Glenn makes (had to happen eventually eh? :rofl: It’s OK guys he & I go way back) about oil over acrylics vs. acrylics over oils. He’s of the former persuasion, I’m the latter, but there are a bunch of interesting (& unexpected) effects that can be achieved by either method. But your mission Ryan, should you choose to accept it, is what kind of padded cell to go for - Corinthian leather or suede? :face_with_spiral_eyes:

5 Likes

Since the ground between and next to the track piece looks well trodden, it is not more than normal that the bottom will be splattered with mud… Rainmark effects (a whitish chalky wash) might give some variation too…

3 Likes

Thanks Glenn, I will give it a go. At worst case, I can just repaint….again.

1 Like

I had a different story in my mind but yours is probably what most will think. Depending on how things go, I might try that.

2 Likes

Well you don’t really have to repaint . If you don’t like the look , wash it with all turps and try again .

2 Likes

or oven cleaner.

1 Like

I tried with burnt umber as I thought black was too stark for this project and didn’t like the results.

Repainted before trying the oils technique.

Repainted the base.

I have glued everything down and calling the 3.7cm gun complete.

8 Likes

Reshoot… Reshoot!.. Photo reshoot requested! :camera_flash::index_pointing_at_the_viewer::grin:
“Let me out!” The psychedelic camouflage filter reflections are making me CRAZY!"

But seriously Ryan… Nice work! That case is so cool! :beer:

Cheers!:beer:
—mike

4 Likes