Hangar Queen 11

Thanks, she should sell quick for the charity people. Only trouble is… I have more shelf queens to do Bahahahahaha.

Hello Boys & Girls,

By accident this is my first post on new forums (hope not the last :sweat_smile: ).

I found some Hurricanes from Arma Hobby (1/72nd scale) who were lying hidden in some … shoe box (probably left them there to dry for about a year or so).
So I’d like to join with these two, if you don’t mind.

Current state is as on following picture:
Planes are assembled & both are primed and preshaded in “I don’t know what I’m doing” style. There are only few parts left unglued (undercarriage, exhausts and antenna mast).

In next step I’m going to paint them with Hataka Orange line dedicated paints (these would be C009 Dark Earth, C026 Sky “Type S” & C016 Dark Green.

Cheers,
Radek

2 Likes

I built an Arma Hobby 1/72 Hurricane Mk I last year, it was a nice kit. Looks like you’re doing good with these two. :wave:

1 Like

@md72 . Thanks Mark, did you have any issues with this kit? Just asking, because overall this is indeed a good quality and quite well manufactured kit, but I had some issues fitting front canopy and instrument panel (looked like they both were too wide for their “slots”).

Painting continues - I got them covered in camo, incl some bonus areas painted (black pads on wings and red paint at gun mounts). I’m going to build both in 303rd Squadron markings. One with red gun pods will be RF-R (R4175) flown by Sgt pilot Josek Frantisek. Other one will be RF-F (V6684) flown by Sqdn Leader Witold Urbanowicz.

Here’s the current state of the build.

Cheers,
Radek

1 Like

Most of the issues were self induced. I recall the cockpit and all the bracing was a bit fiddly and I didn’t get it quite right, don’t recall and IP issues, but I did manage to lose the control stick. :wave:

Ok, managed to apply decals on both Hurricanes. I must admin - these Techmod transfers are love and hate story for me :slight_smile: - from one side they’re very sharp in quality, well designed, thin, but being thin make them very vulnerable to my clumsy skills - they break, in result I had to buy another set of aftermarket decals from Techmod for RF-F plane and they were much better than kit decals.

Another interesting fact - I’m using hataka orange paints. To secure decals I used hataka orange gloss varnish and also X-22 from Tamiya, with 2 days of drying time between hataka & Tamiya and later 2 days before applying decals. I used Microsol SET/SOL & GSI Mark Softer Neo to settle decals. I found that in some places, despite quite good varnish layer, decal solutions penetrated and melted paint. Nothing that I couldn’t recover, but that was unexpected.

Here’s the current condition of both planes:

Cheers,
Radek

1 Like

Hi All!

Lots of nice things going on here! Radek, very nice!

Well, I’ve kind of gotten to a toss up, an Oscar Ki-43 I started about a year and half ago, while watching over my sister-in-laws coffin during her viewing.

And/or the Fujimi F-15 I started for the Terrible Teens campaign.

I’m sure I’ll figure it out! Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

Well, Looks like I’ve got two more now. :slightly_frowning_face:
Matchbox 1/71 F3D-2 from Korea the Forgotten War

Finally got the primer on it but there’s about 5 more coats of paint to go.
Special Hobby 1/72 F3F-2 from Biplanes of WWII.
Plenty of assembly, painting and rigging to go.
Hopefully one of them will be my first completed Hanger Queen this year. :wave:

2 Likes

Here is my entry for this campaign - my F-86 from the Korean War campaign. Real life got in the way of finishing it. This time I hope I can finish it for this campaign.

The kit comes with the old Academy decals. Famous for being super stiff and resisting to conform to any surface. I have some decals as backup if I have to give up. :wink:

Hope to make a diorama with some maintenance scene - maybe with an F-84 included.

Some research to be done to get the scene right.

More to follow :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Cool Jesper!

One fine entry, I recall using Academy decals, they aren’t the worst, but definitely not that great. For my F-86 I got a set of print scale decals, which I’ve not tried yet

Best of luck!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, John. I hope to really soak them and get decals to settle. If nothing else they are surely not semi transparent :wink: :grin:

Hi All,

Time for another update! I got the other wing onto the F-15A, and am really looking at lot of filling and scribing. So, as the path of lesser resistance, I moved the Ki-43 IIb to the front of the Hangar Queen line.

After a good visual, and a little more filling and scribing, she was ready for a black base. The aircraft I’m choosing for it will be a Ki-43 II Otsu (50 cal guns), flown by Captain Hideo Miyabe, Flight Leader of the 64th Hiko Sentai in Burma during the spring of 1944. Typical of these aircraft, they were delivered to the field with the antiglare panel, Hinomaru’s , and control surfaces painted at the factory. All the camo was field applied, and this one had a Japanese Army Green applied freehand by the crew chief, usually using gasoline as the thinner, and rags as the brush. I’ll be trying to duplicate this! Fortunately I had a little practice on my Macchi, so I feel pretty good about this one!
Ready to start the painting!

I gave the bird a nice coat of Tamiya gloss black X-1, as the base for the Alclad II.

I was surprised that upon inspection that I got this one right for the BMF! Yay me. I gave it a coat of Alclad II aluminum, which turned out pretty good. I then masked the control surfaces (IJA green/gray) and the antiglare (NATO Black) area next.

Had to do a little touch up one the stabilizer trim tabs, nothing big.

Up next will be the yellow/orange ID stripes on the wing leading edges. Unfortunately, I have run out of the nice color from the Mr. Color brand. So I’ll be using a cool trick I picked up along the way. Painting the area yellow, and once dry going over it with clear orange. Should look fine. Then onto the markings (debating paint or nice decals) followed by the splotchy green over the uppers! Yee Ha!!!

Keep having fun!

2 Likes

Another refugee from Korea: the forgotten War. Matchbox 1/72 F3D-2N. I managed to get the aluminum base coat on before the original campaign ended.

It’s now masked up for the green undercoat. After that I’ll do a hairspray technique under a Black top coat to show how badly weathered these kites were in 1951. For some reason when they painted the rest of the plane black they left the canopy framing natural metal.

2 Likes

Go Mark! I’ve liked that plane since seeing it in artwork as a kid, not sure if there’s one in 1/48 on my budget. Keep at it!

I was able to get the yellow/orange ID stripes onto the Oscar. Starting to lean towards doing some nice decals instead of paint, as I think it wise to eat up some the nice stuff in the stash!

Have fun!

OK, I can call my “Hurries” completed :slight_smile: . It took me a while to give’em some finishing touches. I also made a small “vignette-like” stand, poorly executed and so on… but c’mon I’m not a gardener :smiley: .
So here thery are: RF-R & RF-F of 303rd “Polish” RAF Squadron:

Good luck to all who are yet about to finish and thanks for good fun with HQ Episode 11 :wink:

3 Likes

Geez, not a gardener? Looks pretty amazing to me! What scale is this? What model?

Looks Great! Good job!

Thanks @HGBARNES :slight_smile:

Both models are Arma Hobby 1/72nd scale 70019 Hurricane Mk I Expert Set . As it’s an expert set it had enough PE parts (mostly invisible after cockpit was closed) , so I only used aftermarket decal set for RF-F (Techmod decals) painted with Hataka Orange (dedicated CS07 set). Figure was from quite awful rubbery RAF set from Airfix .

As for “gardening” I used some various products from Heki, Nioch, Polak and other stuff. That indeed did go quite well (taking into consideration I made it with home made grass application), but these flowers are definitely out of scale and a little bit odd looking, so I definitely need to work on them - well as people say "first pancake is always spoiled :wink: ) .

@SGTJKJ - thank you Jesper :slight_smile:

1 Like

They are looking good. The Arma kits are great. I built the Junior version of the Mk 1. It was pretty detailed for such a small kit. :wave:

Thank you, Mark. Yes, those Arma kits are lovely in details - I already have almost all of their 1/72 miniatures in stash (currently working on P.11c kit) as well as the 1/48th P.11 all great in detail, but I already learned that you have to be careful with them to avoid damage to quite fragile plastic elements (they’re really thin in some places).

1 Like