Heart of the Beast AutoModeler Group Build

Hi Joel,
Have a go!!
Just don’t do it on a model nearly finished but practise on a test car. Actually other than the 3 part solution spraying it is no different from a normal clear coat. What I have seen on the Chrysler though it is much more robust about being polished and once you get the Gravity polishes on it is amazing. I haven’t shown the big C since I put the 2K on but it is the best finish I have achieved on a car body.

cheers
Michael

Michael,
I’m getting braver and braver to give it a try. But certainly not on the Lotus Type 79 as the numerous body panels are taking quite a bit of time just to prepare for the 1st priming stage. Never saw so many parts for just a F1 body before. I ran out of fingers to count them on, good thing I still have 10 toes to count the excess.

joel

I think I am the only one left building for this campaign. Just to prove I’m still in the game a glimpse of where I am up to now.

Not far to go now, so for my loyal audience of two, hang in there and it should be completed soon.

cheers
Michael

4 Likes

Definitely hanging in mate, wouldn’t miss updates on this build!

It seriously looks 1:1 in that shot, superb work!

Cheers, D

Michael,
Now that’s progress with a capitol P. Outstanding work on a very difficult multi media kit. she’s looking more and more beautiful with every update.

With the front suspension, engine/transaxle, and rear suspension attached, you’re well into the last lap. The Finish Line certainly is only a few corners away.
joel

Thanks Damian and Joel. Main items left are an oil tank, radiator, some plumbing and a windscreen. And of course, the wheels.

cheers
Michael

The plumbing is complete. Radiator and oil tank in and front brakes with hoses.

Just the nose to go. Or course it is not a perfect fit. I have to 2mm of space to get it to mate up with body.

cheers
Michael

4 Likes

Michael,
You did a fantastic job building the front suspension, and radiator section. Boy does it look fantastic. I’m truly impressed.

I’m surprised that you need to grab 2mm of space for the nose cone to fit. Any ideas as to why that is?

joel

Hi Joel,
This what I meant by 2mm

Probably more like 1 really.

Anyway while I sort that out I attached the aeroscreen. So here is your last chance to see the car before the nose goes on permanently. (It is screwed and rivetted in place)

Tomorrow we should be done.

cheers
Michael

4 Likes

Michael,
I see. With all that detail in the nose section, what a shame that once the nose is buttoned up, you can’t remove it.

I should be one to talk. As I’m getting further into my Lotus build, it’s becoming more apparent that unless all the stars align at the right moment in time, I’ll have to glue into place all the main body panels so that everything aligns correctly, leaving just the engine and rear suspension panel removable.

joel

That’s looking amazing Michael, really superb work!

Cheers, D

1 Like

Thanks guys.
Well it is complete. There are a couple of photos to show the finished build and post some on Automodeler for a larger audience perhaps.

I guess that’s three of us done now. Thanks for organising this Damian. Not the most popular campaign we’ve done so I don’t know where we go to from here for these. I am in for the Union Jack and Tricolore campaign but we may need a new format to entice more builders.

cheers
Michael

3 Likes

Beautiful build Michael, absolutely beautiful! Well done pushing through the problems to get this result.
I’m glad you posted it in the Auto forums, it has already drawn in comments from folks who haven’t visited the Group Build.

Cheers, D

Michael,
I just posted on your main forum build so I won’t copy and paste here other then once again, as I’ve done throughout your epic build is marvel at your modeling skills to build a MFH kit. the finished Type 312 looks as perfect as the real car that I still remember seeing and touching it way back in 1967.

joel

Thank you both for the support in getting this to the finish. Without doubt my best yet, which is hopefully they way it should be - getting better all the time!

1 Like

With 5 weeks to go, time for an update.

AussieReg (Damian) - Ferrari 250 GT California - Revell kit in 1/24 - COMPLETED
Joel_W (Joel) - 2020 Ford Mustang GT4 - Tamiya kit in 1/24 with IndyCal decals - COMPLETED
Cosimodo (Michael) - Ferrari F1 (Monza 1967 Chris Amon) - MFH kit in 1/12 - COMPLETED

Rick1956 (Rick) - Porsche 904 - Monogram kit in 1/25 - Engine modifications, assembly started

Tinbanger (Richard) - Jaguar E-Type - Airfix kit in 1/32
Betheyn (Andy) - Porsche 917K - Fujimi kit in 1/24
Littorio (Luciano) - Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider 1300 - Italeri kit in 1/24
Forest1000 (David) - Porsche 911 GT3 - Tamiya kit in 1/24
md72 (Mark) - Dodge Challenger (2009) - Revell kit in 1/25

It would be great to see at least one more build cross the line before the end of September (looking at you @Rick1956 !).

Cheers, D

Michael,
Your skill level really has taken a huge step forward, as MFH media kits are the hardest kits around by far. The end results for those skilled enough to build them is exactly how your Ferrari 312 turned out.

Joel

D,
Thanks once again for the monthly update, but honestly I’m just not expecting any more members entrees to cross our finish line.

Like you, I’d love to see Richard focus equally on the Dark Side (cars) to his incredible 1/48 scale WWII aircraft builds. Richard, come on at least join us for one or both of our yearly GBs.

joel

In the words of Mr. Mark Twain

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated

Gentleman I intend to finish the build on time. I have been busy with some other life issues of late. Will be posting soon.

Michael that build is museum quality. Excellent workmanship.

As far as whether the new format helped or hurt the automotive group I can’t comment since I was never a part of the old system.

Later gentleman,
Rick

1 Like

Rick,
Looking forward to your crossing the finish line.

joel