Heart of the Beast AutoModeler Group Build

Michael,
Glad that I could be of some help, as I all to well know of the frustrations that a bad clear coat causes.
And I’m glad that MFH has a replacement decal sheet for a very reasonable price.

So are you going to try again with the 2K? Personally, I’d go with your usual gloss clear coat, and donate a model shell that you can paint and then practice 2K on.

joel

Definitely going to practice on something else this time. That’s the drawback with YouTube, always makes it look so straightforward!

cheers
Michael

Michael,
No truer words were ever spoken about you tube, or for that matter much of the advice he give each other without remembering just how long it actually took to get a procedure down pat.

joel

The crash test dummy, scapegoat, target practice - whatever it should be called - but a test bed for my 2K work.

And if works out, I’ll finish the rest of it and post as a general build in the Automodeler section

2 Likes

Michael,
Now there’s a great subject for both a test mule as it’s super large, and a interesting subject to build. Back in those days we all referred to the Chrylser 300s as tanks, but with the bigger ci engines, they could really fly once they got off the line due to their weight.

Watched another Paul of International Scale Modeler vid and it was about all the primers, paints, and clearcoats he uses. Once again he really pushed the point that while he loves the Gravity 2K system, it’s super dangerous for your health, and the need to control the fumes so that none get into the house air. As I said, he basically double gloves both hands, full face respirator, and long sleeves. So please be careful and take all the precautions needed to safely air brush this stuff.

joel

Well I don’t know what to say, apart from reiterating my question - what do we need to do to get things moving here?
It’s been over 3 weeks since the last post, and the only “progress” to report is that Michael has had to strip his paint job back to bare plastic/metal.

We are 4 months in now, 2 months to go, and below is the current state of play.

AussieReg (Damian) - Ferrari 250 GT California - Revell kit in 1/24 - COMPLETED
Joel_W (Joel) - 2020 Ford Mustang GT4 - Tamiya kit in 1/24 with IndyCal decals - COMPLETED

Cosimodo (Michael) - Ferrari F1 (Monza 1967 Chris Amon) - MFH kit in 1/12 - Engine painted, assembled and detailed. Basic chassis (cockpit engine and exhausts) assembled. Body primed and painted, then unpainted and unprimed
Rick1956 (Rick) - Porsche 904 - Monogram kit in 1/25 - Engine modifications, assembly started

Tinbanger (Richard) - Jaguar E-Type - Airfix kit in 1/32
Betheyn (Andy) - Porsche 917K - Fujimi kit in 1/24
Littorio (Luciano) - Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider 1300 - Italeri kit in 1/24
Forest1000 (David) - Porsche 911 GT3 - Tamiya kit in 1/24
md72 (Mark) - Dodge Challenger (2009) - Revell kit in 1/25

I really hope we can turn things around and get some action going.

Cheers, D

Damian,
I sense your pain and your frustration, as I’ve been right there with you since day 1. We worked so hard to get the GB’s on the old site to become a feature event with entries nearing 20 or so, and a increasing percentage of signees that actually built their entries. Unfortunately, it’s no longer the case as the last GP wasn’t exactly building on the numbers generated from the old site.

Honestly, the the two biggest reasons are that several of the old members who did join and build in the GBs didn’t for their own reasons make the move to the new site, or if they did, rarely post, and certainly no longer enter the GBs.

The 2nd reason is exactly what you said and brought up to Jim that the GBs belong within the site, not all grouped together so that a casual visitor or member can just go to one place and see all the campaigns and GBs. Personally, I could care less about either. Our GBs belong within OUR SITE, not on the other side of the KitMakers that most of us can’t even find, and even less visit. Just being there makes it so that unless you actually post in the GB, you’ll never see anyone elses build. It’s truly insane and makes absolutely no sense.

Then there’s the major issue of Ribbons that we use to post to our profiles for our completed entries. They were both for us and for anyone that visited our profile to see. Personally, I felt that it gave each of us a sense of accomplishment and made the GB a worth while experience. There are no ribbons, and badges aren’t the same thing which are basically useless. So in that sense there is no sense of accomplishment and thus no real reason to build what you signed up for if one actually signed up. Even that process is now a mere, sad shell of itself.

Even the structure of the GBs with a Leader is gone. It’s either you or me or both of us, and that’s it. And for what it’s worth, that truly sucks.

I’ve completed my build, and didn’t bother doing a 2nd build as there’s so little interest in the GBs that I rather post my builds in the main Car forum that what members we do have are more likely to see what I’m up to, and hopefully comment on one way or the other.

With 2 months to go, other then Michael or Rick finishing their builds and posting as they proceed, I really don’t see any other builds being started, and if they do, have much of a chance of being finished.

At this point it’s in Jim’s hands to make the changes needed as this format doesn’t work for us. I don’t care if it’s a sounding success for Armorama or Aeroscale, as this is AutoModeler, and nothing much is working here as it did on the old site.

As you can tell I have no love for the current state of the GBs, so I’ve decided not to enter any moving forward as it serves no real purpose for me.

joel

3 Likes

I agree with Joel.
It is interesting to look back at the last GB on the old site, Strip, Track and Trail - 17 completed builds, 1200+ posts when I think Automodeler was booming. Maybe it is just a cyclical thing but returning GBs to the main site is a must to get people involved.

cheers
Michael

3 Likes

Michael,
Glad that you agree with my premises.

We need a drastic kick start to both the forum and the GBs for sure. Just the fact that only you and I replied at all to Damian’s post, shows just how little interest there is currently in the site as a whole, let alone GB’s.

Here’s a few ideas that I think may help:

1-If it’s possible to pin a thread in the main car section, we can use that method to create a GB Thread and have it at the top of the site so it’s easy to find.

2-Each person who signs up for a GB really needs to make a commitment to actively start to build their entry within a 2 week window of the start of the GB.

3- If their workbench has other projects that need to be completed 1st, then perhaps they should hold off signing up till they can focus on their GB Build. Of course their posting and viewing of active builds is more then encouraged.

We’ve already seen what happens when to many signees just don’t have the time to devote to the build for whatever reasons they may have, and honestly, with the small numbers the GBs are now getting, active participation is a priority.

4- While there is no way to create a ribbon, Badges can be generated. The only issue with badges is that the ones I’ve seen have a limited time before they expire, but I do like that they are displayed under your Avatar, not in your Profile. Perhaps a general badge that’s awarded at the completion of a GB for all completed builds that lasts until the end of the next GB, then is replaced with that completed GB’s badge as the old one is removed.

As for the issue of how slow the overall AutoModeler site has become, perhaps one way to kick start it is to have all active builds in just the car section which would need a name change. This way a truck, bike, si fi and of course a car build would all be together so it’s easy for those that do post to checkout other types of builds without having to actually click around. I’m betting that many of us, myself included, rarely visit the other sections here.

joel

I’ve had a response from Jim, the Group Build threads are staying where they are. I will try to post more update reports and cross-links in the main forum page to encourage people across the the Group Build forums.
I think moving forward that we will just be running one Group Build at a time. The “Garage Queens” and “Commercial Trucking” ideas haven’t taken off at all.
Let’s just focus on making the main AutoModeler site as busy as possible with our individual builds, try to put up some more features and reviews, and see where it goes from there.

Thanks heaps for your input and ideas.

Cheers, D

D,
I was pretty sure that Jim wouldn’t make the change that we really need to give the GBs a much needed boost. So is it possible to create a GB thread in the Cars section and pin it so that it stays on top? As a Moderator, I can’t find anyway to do that. I’m hoping that you know of a way to accomplish it.

I’m also in favor of combining all the sections into just one. As I posted earlier this will at least get all the present members easy access to every build and thread no matter what the subject matter is. And hopefully that will create more posts within the various threads, plus making it just that much easier to meet and make new friends in AutoModeler.

joel

1 Like

Joel, I have done what I think will pin the “Automodeler Group Build Discussion Thread” to the top of the pile permanently. but it might only work in my feed. Give it a day or two and see what happens there.

If you make the selections as per the image below, then set this as your home page, you will get every post in the Automodeler forum listed and easy to scroll through.

Cheers, D

D,
this is the page I selected to be my home page when I log in.

the page is also pined as I see the pin facing up.

joel

All,
Unfortunately, I have to withdraw from this group build. I got a new job in July and moved to New Brunswick with a truck full of what I could carry. That means no modelling for me as I’m living in a hotel until August 20.

1 Like

Now problems David, best wishes for the new role, I hope it’s enjoyable and successful!

Stay in touch and let us know how things are going, and get back to the bench when things have settled.

Cheers, D

Well, deja vu for me. I have got back to where I was 6 six weeks ago.
Ferrari painted, decals on.

Next up, 2K coat so fingers crossed.

cheers
Michael

3 Likes

Beautiful colour and a silky smooth finish Michael, excellent work!

Hopefully the 2K will lay down and behave itself for you this time around.

Cheers, D

Michael,
super impressive paint and decaling on the Ferrari 1967 312 F1 car.

Whose 2K are you going to use?

Can’t wait to see this beast all shiny and ready to be attached to the chassis.

joel

Thanks Damian and Joel.
The 2K will be Gravity’s 3 part mix. It was what I used when it all went wrong as I used syringes rather pipettes to measure and mix. A much better outcome on the Chrysler 300 has given me some confidence but it is still with much trepidation that I do this because I would be too embarrassed to go back to MFH for yet another set of decals.

cheers
Michael

Michael,
I have the Gravity 2K still seating on my shelf section for various clears, and I’ve yet to open it out of total fear. I’ve got the spray booth exhaust working perfectly, A new and better respirator, and the best Nitrile gloves I can find, so no matter what I’m one full step behind you.

I’ve seen Paul from International Scale Modeler air brush the Gravity 2K dozens of times without issue. So I’m going to give it try sooner then later. Main thing is the mix is 3-1-1 and each gets its own Pipette then thrown out after the session. 3 coats: tack coat, semi wet coat, wet coat. That’s it. 25ps, your choice of AB setup.

Sounds and looks easy enough. But I still need to actually do it. I’m sure that I’ll get hooked on it and then need to buy a few sets at a time and then wonder what should I do with all the various gloss clears I’ve amassed over the years.

joel