Heart of the Beast AutoModeler Group Build

Hi Guys,
Has anyone bought this set?
Is it worth it, I can’t find an instruction sheet for it to see what it upgrades?
Studio27: Detail up set 1/24 scale - Porsche 917K - for Fujimi references FJ12173, HR-5, FJ12188, FJ12198, FJ12199, FJ12236, FJ12261, FJ123592, FJ123882, RS-84, FJ126074, FJ126135, 12613, RS-4, FJ126142, 12614, RS-88, FJ12615, 126159, RS-92, FJ126166, 12616 and RS-98 (ref. ST27-FP2473) | SpotModel
Andy :slight_smile:

Rick,
I’m just catching up with the start that you guys have made in the GB since the Porsche 911 GT1 finally crossed the finish line a few days ago.

Your modeling skills on correcting Monogram’s issues and short cuts look dead on accurate. One would never know that the original had the lifter tube molded to short. As for the Aluminum colors and the Tamiya wash, you just really nailed it as the cyl looks like it was caste in Aluminum not plastic.

As for what I’m thinking is Monogram’s good enough Webber carb. Your reworked venturi tube and jet looks once again that they were made out of metal not molded plastic.

I’ve suspected that your modeling skill level will certainly move
you right to the front of the class. Please do me a favor when you pass me by and wave hello. :upside_down_face:

I’m pretty sure that the Filler D used is Bondo Glaziing Putty #3

joel

Had a look and no luck finding an instruction sheet either, I will be interested in this as I also have a 917 winging it’s way from Japan.
Oh regarding the fan Joel talked about in another thread here’s a video of a 917 which clearly shows the fan.

Andy,
I have a few Studio 27 detail sets and they’re worth every penny they cost.

joel

Luciano,
I must finally be loosing my mind in my old age. The cover plate that takes the place of the top of the engine in the Fujmi 917K kits does include the fan, but not the proper housing. It’s just stuck into the middle of the engine cover plate that they invented.

joel

D,
I gotta agree that you’re literally flying through this build at record pace.

the full engine/trans, and exhaust system really looks darn good sitting in the chassis.

joel

After finally looking at the Monogram Ford Mustang TP kit from 1985, that's it just didn't get my Mojo flowing, so rather then struggle with the build, I changed gears 180 degrees, and still will be building a Mustang GT3 car, but it's the 2020 Tamiya 1/24 scale kit with Indy Cal decals:

So D, could you please make the change on your GB list.

joel

1 Like

Nice choice Joel.
It looks like its wearing a mask with the black across the nose.

Well, I just spent the last hour finally opening up the 1985 Monogram 1/24 scale Ford Mustang GTP car, and honestly, it just didn’t get my Mojo juices flowing where I wanted to get into this build. So back in the box it went, and then back into my stash for another time.

So what to build? Another Mustang of course. This time I switched gears 180 degrees and pulled out of my stash the brand new 2020 Tamiya 1/24 scale Ford Mustang GT4, with Indy Cal decals. Should be a fun build for sure.

So D, could you change my build entry on your GB list.

joel

2 Likes

Joel that will be a stunning car when finished. I am with you, unless you have that feeling about a model, it is just a another task to complete, not enjoyable. And the hurdles look twice as high.

Thank you for the praise but you haven’t seen my bad stuff yet, which I will post along with the rest. I enjoying trying to improve the kit part, but sometimes the results say I should have left well enough alone!!!

Damian will be on car #4 when we are completing our entries in October. :grin:

On the Weber I used a piece of aluminum tube close to size of the molded one and polished it so I didn’t have to worry about trying to get that shine with paint. Then I pressed the flute shape into the top. The venturi tube is 1/32 od brass tube which I reamed out to have only about a .005 wall left on it and it still looks to big. Have to work on that.

Andy(?), please forgive me if I get the real names wrong here at first, I have never used that PE set but it seems cheap enough. In my opinion even if just a couple pieces in the set made the kit pop more it was worth it. Just my 2 cents.

Rick

Hi Rick,
I have bit the bullet and bought this set, along with this one
Renaissance Models: Detail up set 1/24 scale - Porsche 917K 1971 - for Fujimi references FJ126135, 12613, RS-4, FJ126166, 12616 and RS-98 (ref. TK24-227) | SpotModel
Never added A.M to a car kit before so this will be a first for me :joy:.

That will be a great looking model when done. Will you be able to see the brakes from the rear or are you going to leave a wheel off?

From what I can see of the pictures above you pretty much nailed it.

Rick,

Thanks for the explanation on the Weber detailing. I’ve got to get my mind out of the " only use plastic" mind set and get some brass and Aluminum tubing. Trouble is that I don’t have a real hobby shop locally that keeps the KS and Evergreen racks full. So ordering online become an issue. Wonder if Michael’s has any somewhere in the store.

I’m a little concerned about the Indy Cal decals as sometimes these large decals have a issue or two. But time will tell, and I always do the body shell through gloss 1st.

As far as the Monogram Ford Mustang GTP car, I’m still going to build it, but I’ve got to work through even some basic chassis issues that I just didn’t want to deal with right now.

joel

Andy,
Interesting AM upgrade set that’s just the disc brakes. Since you’re going that way, you might want to leave a wheel off to show all that amazing detail that the wheel and tire would basically cover.

joel

Joel, Never seen any K&S in Michael’s, but if you have a Hobby Lobby out your way they do.

Dave,
come to think of it, I do have a hobby lobby about 1/2 hour from my house. Will be checking it out very soon.

joel

The red colour is the kit plastic. I primed with MS1500 grey, then brush applied MS500 Grey over the seams and spots that needed more work, then brought it back to plastic in some places where needed. I will shoot the MS1500 again in the next couple of days to see if any more work is needed.

Great to see so much activity and discussion in here now guys, hopefully we will see a few more builds get started soon.

Joel, your change of build is noted. As you said, why even start a build if the initial opening of the box leaves you cold. From what I’ve seen that Tamiya kit is an absolute gem and I can’t wait to see what you do with it!

Cheers, D

D,
Thanks for the switch of subject. I’ll still end up doing the Mustang GTP car when it’s Mojo level goes up enough.

And as you’ve said, I’ve also noticed a major increase in the number of posts, and members here on a daily basis. A personal thanks to all that have become part of our growing AutoModel forum.

joel

Well progress has not been as quick as I would like but at least I have, as they say in modern F1 speak, an ICE for my car.

The snake pit of exhaust headers was challenging but got there in the end. The fuel lines also was a bit of guess work. The trumpets have been lowered below the engine heads as a Monza special since in the 60’s it was a slipstreaming circuit.

To aid air flow there are these interesting looking air intakes which where situated to extend outside the width of the car.

cheers
Michael

3 Likes