HMS CALCUTTA, Crete 1941

Nice work so far Si. I know what you mean - My Arktika also had very long railings and they partially asked you to fold ridiculous bendings. Sometimes I also simply cut the railings for more easier handling. No one will notice it later :wink:

Thanks Mark,

I am quite impressed with this kit, (except for the lack of maindeck railings) ,there is a lot going for quite a small ship.

Cheers

Si

Thanks Thomas,

At least these overlong lengths of etched railings have a simple solution. I tend to cut long runs of outboard railings down, much easier to fit.

Cheers

Si

A liittle progress over the last week or so.

The Funnel rigging under way.

It is quite odd, with the asymmetric shape of the deck around the after funnel, on the stbd side the stay goes down to the main, on the port side it sits on the fo’c’s’le deck level.

The rigging is painted with Citadel “Iron Warriors”, a sort of dirty metallic black/brown, looks about right for a greased funnel stay.

X and Y guns in place.

An overveiw of the project as she stands,

Next the foremast, and the foretop.

More soon,

Cheers, Si

7 Likes

Looking very good Si…Cheers mark

Thanks Mark,

She is coming along,.

Cheers, Si

Hi Si,

catching up, apologies for my longs absence…
She coming along really nice, I love those lines of the British cruisers, and even if she’s a little bit off the beaten path as a model, I think she shows the classical and typical lines. Great work and a fine model! Looking forward to your progress!

Cheers
Jan

No worries Jan,

Good see you back, I have always had a soft spot for these older repurposed cruisers. One thing I would complement Trumpeter for is the two kits thye have brought out of the C class as AA Cruisers are very different in fit. There will be another update very soon.

Thanks for looking, much appreciated.

Cheers, Si

1 Like

A little progress over the last week or so.

The tripod foremast, the etched structure underneath fitted rather well.

The foremast test fitted in place,

The mainmast test alson fitted, along with the forward HA director

Both parts awaiting spraying.

More soon.

Cheers, Si

7 Likes

She’s progressing nicely, Si :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks Russ, she is coming on, I do like the look of her with the masts in place, hope to get those sprayed and fixed down in the next few days.

Cheers, Si

1 Like

Agree, it’s looking really good.
I like the dazzle cammo.

1 Like

Thanks Stephen,

I do prefer camo to plain grey, that also has her in the same period as My HMS York, so they will sir nicely together.

Cheers, Si

1 Like

Love watching these builds , especially the PE as its so intricate and it adds so much to the kits and really takes them up several levels. Lovely work, and nice cam scheme.

Hi Johnny, thanks for looking in, and your kind comments. I do like a good camo scheme. I think ships really benifit from etch, so much injection moulding cannot do fine enough.

Cheers, Si

I agree, the dazzle cammo does make for a much more eye catching display piece than grey.

1 Like

Si,

fine work on masts/tripods! She’s really looking like a cruiser by now, nice progress!
And of course those camouflage schemes add so much to a model, and your paintwork ist looking brilliant!

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

Hi Jan,

One thing I will give Trumpy credit for these 2 C class are very different, I do like the fact they have done one that retained the tripod foremast.

The camo was “fun”, thank you for your kind words.

I am having a silly thought about get another Calcutta and back dating to 6" gun fit. It would be quite a lot of work, not just a matter of replacing the guns. The Bridge would need work, as would the platforms atop the foremast. twin torpedoe dubes would need to be aquired, a new after superstructure with searchlight platforms scratchbuilt, and a number of other detail changes.

Still I have the columbo to build before I even think about that.

Cheers.

Si

2 Likes

Hi Si,

I’d certainly love to see that! Just saying…

Cheers
Jan

She is getting better and better Si…Cheers Mark