HMS CALCUTTA, Crete 1941

Hi Jan,

I think it would be an interesting project, the only really difficult bit would be scratchbuilding the 6" guns, Black cat make the 3" and a few other useful bits and peices. It is something I would very much like to build, as the appearance would be quite destinctive. Nice colourful prewar scheme too.

Might need a little patience mate. :grin:

Cheers, Si

Thanks Mark,

Working adding detail to the turned out Davits at the moment, then rigging.

Cheers,

Si

A bit of slow progess over the lasr week or so.

As the whalers on the f’ord davits are meant to be built swung out, a little furnature needed to be added.

The pole (cannot remember the correct name) that stops the boat swining back into the davits was made from a couple of peices of plastic rod, and the triangular supports came from an etched sheet from Albion Alloys, designed for connecting sections of brass tube.

The details, and the beginnings of the rigging for davits in place.

All painted, Some standing rigging has been added to the two derrick booms, and a couple of ladders, one on each side, keading from the compass platform to the foretop.

Finally, for this update.

spotting gear fitted to the foretop.

A few more small details to go, and then the maindeck railings.

More soon

Cheers, Si

5 Likes

Hi Si,

I didn’t know the name of that davit bumper-thing either - you got me curious, so I did a search:

Apparently it was called a “griping spar” with “pudding” pads. Hilarious!

Anyway, with your progress with the boats the build is really coming together. As a pathetically slow builder myself, I’ve always admired the velocity of your construcions. Carry on!

5 Likes

Si,

great work, very nice details! You are nearing commission! She looks very smart!

Cheers
Jan

Hi Tim,

I haven’t seen that drawing before, very useful, thankyou for sharing it. I should be ablfe to find some mesh to maje the jumping net. Griping spar makes sense, as the gripes hold the boat from the other side to keep it secure.

Thankyou for looking in,

Cheers, Si

Thanks Jan, apart from finish of the boats and a few details, I have some oars from the spares box to sit in swung out boats. then just the rigging, which fortunately is fairly straight forward,

Appreciate you looking in as always.

Cheers,

Si

1 Like

It has been awhile since the last post, but there has been progress.

The rigging going on the mainmast.

Aerials and other bits and peices.

an overview,

And with the rigging all in place and the painting nearly completed.

More before too long, this time… I hope.

Cheers Si

5 Likes

Looking good Si :slightly_smiling_face:

Nearly at the finish line with this one :blush:

She is looking good!

Almost there, Si! That three-tone camouflage scheme with the natural wood deck really pops! :grin:

that paint job is great!!

Odd place to read about a twin 4 inch…

Cheers,

M

Thanks Russ,

Just the rest of the maindeck railings to get on, and the two whalers hanging from the forward davits, and it will be time to hoist the ensign.

Cheers, Si

Thanks Martin,

It has been a very nice kit to build of an interesting ship, both in looks and in history.

Cheers, Si

Thanks Tim,

That she is, I do like the three tone grey “Alexandria” schemes. I found a method for wood decks I have to paint, spray the deck black, mist a light wood colour over the top in layers to build up the colour, does add a bit of texture,

Cheers

Si

Thanks for looking in Steve,

apprecite your kind comment.

Cheers, Si

Thanks for posting, very interesting, and some useful detail references.

Cheers,

Si

Really nice work SI. She is almost there…Cheers Mark

Thanks Mark,

Even closer, the maindeck railings are nearly done, then just the two whalers to hang from the davits.

Cheers,

Si