Hot Out of the Molds 2022

So, so excited by this build and share. So thanks!!!
I Would have skipped even thinking twice about this kit, had I not seen this. Also some karma as I was looking at what different 5 inch gun turrets for 1/350th cruisers were for sale on the market. Then the ones on battle ships too.

Cheers,
Todd

1 Like

Thanks Todd. Glad to hear you like and it was helpful to you. :+1:

Ryan, looks good! Maybe they left the holes on the inside for you to drill out if not all turrets had them? But then again how would people otherwise enter the turret. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I wish but no, looks like my kit had issues. The AMPS
review kit was fine.

Here is an old trick that I will explain as if you had not gone ahead, in case it ever happens again.

Where both sides are identical, tape some Tracing Paper over the side where the holes are. Make sure the paper is tucked right up against the rivet section and along the bottom edge and only tape the top and the opposite edge to the rivet panel. You should be able to see the holes through the paper. Get a needle and poke through the tracing paper into the holes.

Peel off the tape, turn it over so left is now right. Place the paper against the rivet section on the other side and with the bottom on the turret edge. Tape the top and opposite side. Get your needle and poke through the holes to indent the plastic. Now you have the location for holes, plus the plastic is indented so the drill bit wont slip…

1 Like

Looking good there, Tank! Interesting choice.

I decided, especially given the current political climate, that I’d pass on the Russian aircraft for now and go with Jesper’s vote: the Meng 1/48 F/A-18F in Jolly Rogers 75th anniversary markings. Here’s my start pic:

I power my airbrush with an air tank that doesn’t have a compresser attached, so when I run out of air, I have to go to the local tire store. I ran it out this weekend, but managed to get the base Dark Gull Gray on the cockpit and the decals on the instrument panels and side consoles:

I know that’s kind of the lazy way out, but I’ve found that I don’t much care anymore. And the gray is lighter than in the pic, lighting I guess. Also, some of the decals have a very light gray background that was just too much contrast, so I painted some of the large(ish) areas out.

Unlike the earlier Revell and Hasegawa kits, Meng is more up-to-date and has the block II configuration and Bard Stack ECM exhausts, which is nice.

Michael

4 Likes

Thanks. I like Takom’s concept and found one I really like. I have 2 other Russian gun/missile kits for future builds.

I’m in with this kit. DeHavilland Chipmunk T.10 from Airfix in 1/48. Came out late last year. Will start soon.

… will go for Option C in the painting instructions …

As usual I’ll post here only the major steps. More detailed work will be seen also as usual in my Bench Works Thread.

Happy modelling!
Torsten :beers:

4 Likes

Nice. I will be following this build too - as usual.

1 Like

Welcome onboard, Torsten! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ooops! Not much action in this thread lately … :open_mouth: and I’m already done with my campaign build. Though I forgot to post w.i.p. photos here. But I guess, some of you have followed the build in my bench works thread. But as I have to post some in-progress photos to get the campaign medal here are a few … :slightly_smiling_face:

… and finally the finished Chipmunk … :slightly_smiling_face:

Is that okay for you, Michael and Jesper?

Happy modelling!
Torsten :wave:

UA

7 Likes

No argument from me. Nice work!

Michael :stuck_out_tongue:

Mine is awaiting paint and custom decals Dennis is doing for me.

I have so much backed up, my planned build will be too old by the time I get to it. :grin:

1 Like

I’ve actuallty made some progress on the Meng F/A-18F but it’s just not going as smoothly as the E did. Probably user error. Anyway, here’s where I am at this time;

5 Likes

Looks great, Torsten. Congrats on finishing!

My Star Wars LAAT is in the line, but still a month or two out. Will get it done for sure, though. :slightly_smiling_face:

Michael, looking good. Seems like some nice fine details in the wheels wells and cockpit.

Thanks Jesper. There is indeed good detail on these kits, but I didn’t have nearly as many gaps around the LEX or ECM dispensers on the E kit for some reason. Ah well, we are modelers, after all!

1 Like

As previously discussed I will be working on Border Models early Tiger 1.

3 Likes

I really need to do a Tiger…

I look forward to seeing how you get on with this.