Hot Out of the Molds 2023

Lovely detailing on the cockpit tub and instruments :+1:

Very nice details in the cockpit! Is that decals or PE or 3D decals?

That really came out nice. In this scale you really want a nice cockpit and this one looks terrific.

Paul

Those are kit decals. Real nice, actually. The instrument on the plastic panel are molded convex, so when you put down the decals and and then drops of clear, they look very effective. And there are placard decals as well. An excellent package, all around! I have some questions about some of the marking scheme decals, but I’m doing one from an older EagleCals release anyway, so no worries there.

Michael :tiger: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks for the update, Michael. Very effective. I will remember to do that as well for my upcoming build.

My entry for this year:

7 Likes

@FlyingSauerkraut Great choice. Looking forward to hear your input - also on the book. I have eyed it many times on Amazon.

I have the Monogram A/B-26 kit someplace but was curious if the new ICM kit might be better. I’m working on an ICM Liberty truck for another campaign and have been impressed with it. It will be fun to follow your build and see how it progresses.

Paul

1 Like

Nice choice, I’ve been wanting to see how that one looks.

Michael :stuck_out_tongue:

Meanwhile, the GW AVG Hawk is rolling along nicely. It really is a beautiful kit.

The fuselage interior is very busy. I know if looks a little rough, but I’m closing up the hatch so none of it will be seen. I just wanted to see how it went together and show you all if you’re interested:

Here’s the fuselage and wings closed up. They aren’t joined yet, but fit well:

The tail feathers are a little fiddly. Some photo etch parts on the hinges who’s use I haven’t quite figured out. But they got there. There are also photo etch actuators for the trim tabs that would be asking to be knocked off if installed now, so they’ll go on later.

20230417_060329

So far, I’m really enjoying this one!

5 Likes

This kit looks wonderful and your build is bringing this early P-40 to life. What an interior!

Paul

Great Looking P-40! Looks to be a great kit. Are you going with the classic China/Burma shark mouth look?

Absolutely. I have an older EagleCals sheet for R.T. Smith’s second airplane, #47. I have the HK B-25H and markings for his Barbie III, so I thought that would be a nice set. Someday.

1 Like

I hear you, Michael. Would be a great set!

I have also big plans of all the fighting aircraft of the Falklands campaign, all combat aircraft types for the RDAF etc. lots of plans, so little time :wink::smile::smile:

Some great builds here.

I’m tempted to join with Special Hobby’s Mirage IIICJ released last year. I’m itching to do it despite having several projects and campaigns I’m signed up for.

4 Likes

That’s a beauty, Stephen. DO IT! :wink::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ll get a couple of things finished up and then I’ll start. If it builds as good as it looks on the sprues, it should be an absolute joy.

1 Like

I am going with some Star Wars legion swoop bikes. Viewers of the Boba Fett series will recognize them :slightly_smiling_face:

More to follow soon :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Love me the Mirage, looking forward to that. And those SW bikes look cool as well!

Work continues on the GWH AVG Hawk:

Since the cockpit floor is (correctly!) the top of the wing, and the seat attaches to the floor and the rear bulkhead, it goes in after the wing and fuselage are joined. A bit fiddly, but fits well. I used the kit seat belts. I know many AVG aircraft only had the earlier style lap belts and no shoulder harnesses, but this is what they had in the kit, so I went with them.

This kit actually gives you two full power eggs, one closed up and one fully exposed engine, and then has them attach to the rest of the airplane with magnets. Here is the closed up one just pushed on to the airframe without installing the magnets yet. The fit is tight and needs a bit of work, but it looks good so far! I’m going to try to keep them unglued so I can swap them out as the kit intends.

Cowl flaps not installed yet. You can have open or closed and the open ones have actuators.

20230430_100820

The business end. Wing .30’s not installed yet, but my issue of the kit comes with some very nice 3-D printed barrels.

And the underside.

All in all, coming together nicely, I think.

7 Likes

Looks great, Michael. It will be impressive when finished.